Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up the 06 zx-6r in green today.. after the long and painful process of getting that thing out the back of a truck by myself I got on and started breaking it in. It didnt take long to realize that this is going to SUCK because in 6th gear at 4000 rpm the bike only goes about 47 mph. I found myself riding around the neighborhood but then decided to take it out on the road and found myself going 45 in a 55 with a train of angry and confused cars behind me wondering why this bright sports bike is going 10 under the speed limit. I guess my question is, will I be ok if i venture into the 5000's ever so often during the first 500 miles, and how do they expect people to ride 500 miles under 45 mph? And secondly, Im assuming that a bike thats riding steady at 6000-7000 rpm is equivilent to a car thats doing about 3000 rpm as far as engine stress goes?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I didnt do any of that shit, the service manager at my local kawi dealer told me to keep it just under 9,000 for the first 700 and thats it, change the oil and fly. And hes been working on kawi's since the 80's.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ride the shit out of it. google "motorcycle break in" and you'll find a link to MotoMan's site which explains the process. i've never heard of someone causing damage breaking-in that way. i'm skeptical about getting better performance, but it atleast allows me to ride it the way i want from the start.

i also picked up an '06 GREEN 636 today. it's in my garage right now with 0 still on the ODO. it's my THIRD zx-6r. KAWI FOR LIFE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I guess they want to discourage people from redlining it the first day out. They say that the break in process helps the engine and parts settle into place, it makes sense but I dont see the point in building a sports bike that shouldt go above 45 for the first 500 miles.. thats ridiculous.. I love the bike so far so i just want to make sure it lasts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea man.. this is my frist real bike and I havent ridden in over 8 years. I was looking at the Honda CBR600RR but then I couldnt get financing and somehow I ended up at a Kawi dealer days within picking the bike up and Im so glad I went with the zx-6r.. it definetly seems to be a dominating force in the bike world. I could have never imagined how quickly i would feel comfortable on a bike, Im definetly glad I went with the 6R.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
congrats on the bike, welcome to the forum.... there's tons of useful info if you use the search, but man it takes up all my free time:D

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
No offense to the forums owners but I personally have found the search function for Snitz Forums to suck donkey nuts. And I DO know how to use a search function.

Ride the bike like you normally would, like it already had 3000 miles on it or something. Don't bounce it off the rev limiter too often and change the oil and filter at around 300/600 and 1200 and then do normal oil/filter changed intervals after that (every 3000 miles or whatever you preference).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i put 50 miles on the bike today.. I gave it 100 percent throttle and then let of but never reved up too high.. i hear the fist 20 so miles are the most important so i think ill be alright.. thanks for all the great advice guys.. Ill get pics of it up soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.