Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at picking up an 07 or 08 650. I have been looking at some used bikes, and most of them are in the high 4k to low 5k range. Once I throw in the sales tax I have to pay to the state, I am easily over 5k. There is an outfit in Irving, TX called Kawasaki City that has a few 07's left for $5800 OTD. I took a look at them today, and am still trying to decide what to do. The guy there said there was zero flexibility in the price, and that they would just continue to sit until people bought them at that price.

I figured with the bikes having literal spider webs on the wheels, the economy taking a dump, and many people no longer able to get credit, that they would have jumped on an offer of $5600 cash, but I guess I am out of touch with reality.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would look around and check on the used bikes. I got my 2008 Ninja 650 with 4235 miles on it for $5400 OTD. I just stumbled upon it while I was in San Diego with Craigslist.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thats the thing, I originally planned to buy used, in fact, I think new motorcycles are a waste of money. Besides I HATE breaking in a motorcycle, I just want to ride it, not stare at a tach.

Anyway, I have been watching craigslist for about 3 weeks, and have not had many solid hits. Either over priced bikes (IMO) or else they have been beaten to all hell (someone got it as their first bike and dropped several times).

I am going to take a look at one tomorrow that has 9k on it with a slip on and a PCIII, as well as a new back tire... the person wants $4500 for it. I just wonder with those add ons if the bike has been beaten.

Thing is, I still have to pay sales tax on the presumptive value of the bike. I took a look on the TXDOT website, and I will owe about $250. So at this point, it puts the difference between an 07 with 9k that has been "no speed dropped a few times" and an 07 with 0 miles on it at about $1k.

I faxed the dealership an offer of $5500 OTD on the bike, I figured they could take it or leave it. If things don't work out, I may just wait till the 09's come out.

I visited another dealer, and they had 1 08 green 650(new), but it had a tag of 6500 on it. I just HATE haggling with dealers, and is why I either buy used, or just fax offer sheets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
From what I know. Most dealerships sell brand new 08 at 5999. After freight, set up, and taxes. You're looking at 7400. Be careful with used bikes. Check fork seals, listen to the motor(Knocks, pings) etc, etc.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
You're saying 5800 Out the door though. I keep seeing these other people posting up numbers of 7k+ OTD. If it's brand new 0-1 miles on it and in a color you like, I'd jump on that deal. Where else are you gonna get a brand new bike of that caliber OUT THE DOOR for that little. I've seen 250 ninjas go out the door higher than that.

As far as break in goes, everyone has a different way of going about it, just buy the new one and ride it like you're gonna ride it in the real world. Just don't hammer on it non stop and there's nothing to worry about. I've done it like this on all my bikes. If you were to follow strict break in, you'd be doing 45 on the freeway (with my '05 6R it was exactly 63mph in top gear within break in guidelines), I don't know about you but I have to use a freeway to get to work so I'm gonna push the guidelines a little.

·
Registered
115 Posts
:plusone:

I broke mine in just like I ride it. I didnt hammer on it 24/7, but dont be afraid to get on it. I never had the need to take it above 7grand. I took mine to 135mph during break in so.........

It ran smooth as a babys back side. :D Til it was STOLEN!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Thats a good price. Get it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Where in Texas are you?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Keep looking! I just got an '07 w/ 2600 miles for $4500, granted it has a couple minor scuffs, brake pedal is bent in somewhat, and needs new sprockets and chain, but still a pretty good deal. There was also another used 07 for $4500 in my area.

IF YOU CAN WAIT, let the dealer sweat it out. Go up there once a week or so, and check if they still have the 2007's sitting there. If they sit for awhile and the inventory ages, they may reduce the price a little or you may be able to make a strategic price bargain.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I just picked up a black 08 650 with 1800 on it for an even 5k on craigslist, I was going to wait for an 09 bu tthis way I saved 2k, get to ride it now, and will see how the 09 aftermarket supports the new designs...

·
Registered
522 Posts
IF YOU CAN WAIT, let the dealer sweat it out. Go up there once a week or so, and check if they still have the 2007's sitting there. If they sit for awhile and the inventory ages, they may reduce the price a little or you may be able to make a strategic price bargain.

Theyve had them since 07...you really think they are gonna sweat? You dont know anything about the dealership, theyve been selling them off bit by bit since then. They are a smaller operation, no frills, so they have very little overhead.

Sammy White's Kawasaki City is where I got my 650 from. They went up a little bit, I got mine for 5400 OTD. They ordered a buttload of them in anticipation with gas prices going up and everything, but they didnt sell like they thought. Theyve been sub 6k OTD for at least 7 months that im personally aware of.

The only problem with used is you never know how it was treated or broken in. Ill never buy a used bike.

That being said, they are eager to sell you the bike, but dont expect any deals, cuts, or even a full tank of gas for that matter. My fuel light came on probably 15 miles after I had picked it up. Im personally aware of 3 other people who had the same experience. Not trying to drive you away, it was a good price, but dont expect any "freebies". Id buy from them again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got 2007 Red back in 08/07 August for $6000 OTD with 0 miles on it. toward the end of the year, they're really getting eager to get rid of the previous year's inventory.

I wouldn't pay more than $5000 OTD for a 2007 with 0 miles on it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

New member here and happy to say I just purchased my first bike! A shiney new 2009 Er-6n. Although I 'think' I did good negotiating, I wanted to bounce it off a few folks who've bought recently (during the current economic situation) to confirm.

Basically, I got the ole - 'well.. it's $6399 MSRP, but OTD with freight, taxes, title, blah blah, you're looking at $7200'. Once he was aware I was prepared to purchase that very moment, and that I wasn't happy with that price, he then asked me to give him a number. I told him $6500 OTD and nothing more. Well, after one trip to the money man, he came down to $6900 OTD. Being that this was my first bike, and I had 3-4 bikes I was targetting still rolling around in my brain, he could tell I wasn't going to bite. After a few minutes checking out the 650r and a few others on the floor, I started heading out the door when he stopped me and said they'll accept the $6500.00

So my question is, did I do okay? Or could I have dropped down to MSRP or even lower? Anyway, I feel pretty good about it so I guess that's all that really matters, aye? I just finished my MSF course last week and can't wait to get this baby on the road.

·
Registered
94 Posts
to the OP, did you ever get that '07??

@ER6n,
sounds like a very reasonable deal. no one should ever pay the initial amount the dealer was asking for. only $200 over MSRP is pretty good, and the dealers know they can get a little more for the '09s because they're the 2nd gen w/ some very nice upgrades over the '06-'08 gen 1.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Get the new bike, $5800 is a great deal, plus you don't have to wonder how it was broken in or maintained. You can wait a while and offer $5500

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife just bought a 09 er6 yesterday. The price broke down to 5600.00 for the bike, 160.00 for a dayglo firstgear jacket, 293.76 taxes, 103.54 tags. For a OTD price of 6157.30 She could of got it for 100.00 cheaper at another dealer but they wouldn't let her test drive it. I was more then willing to pay the extra 100.00 so she knew she was going to like it. I refuse to buy bikes without test drives. Riding BMW's myself it's nothing to go to a BMW dealer and take a 3-4hr test dive.She has been riding a 750 shadow and never really liked the forward foot controls. We put on a 100 miles yesterday and she is vasty improved her cornering and speed with the new bike. It's a great litttle bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts