Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 05 636 for an 06 zx10r last week. Wow, this is an incredible bike. I do miss how light and flickable by 6 was but this thing still handles great.

Only complaints I have are pretty easy fixes, but I'd like to get some opinions before I start making changes.

First thing I want to do is get rid of that hideous fender. I figured I'd just go to Home Depot and get some brackets or something and do it myself. Any tips would be appreciated. Pics would also be nice.

Second, gearing seems too high, especially considering 1st gear can do 100+ mph. I'm thinking about going +2 in the rear. I had my 636 geared -1 +2 and it was nice, but I think it might be a little too extreme for the 10. I want wheelies to be a little bit easier and would like to be able to stay in second gear when things get tight, but I'm no stunter or anything. While I'm at it should I do the 520 conversion, or does this thing put out too much power for that size chain?

3rd, down the road I'd like to change out the exhaust. I'm not into how bulky it looks with the heat shields and all. Plus it looks real heavy, I'd like to cut as much weight as possible. So far I've checked out the akra and the two bros. Opinions on these or any others?

Finally, is there anything else I should know about these bikes? Any special maintenance or things I should watch out for? Sorry for the long post, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. Its one badass machine. From what I hear do not go 520! The bike makes too much power and will break it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Originally posted by SubHuman
Congrats on your new bike. Its one badass machine. From what I hear do not go 520! The bike makes too much power and will break it. My opinions on pipes is I like the Akra and the twobros, but you might want to take a look at the Devil. I think they look badas. The twobros kills some midrange power since its a single.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
the rear fender is held on by 4 bolts, take them out, toss the fender.

to mount the plate, i suggest going to home depot or wherever, and getting two "L" brackets and mount them to the rear two bolts that held on the fender. the spacing doesnt line up with the stock holes on your plate so you'll have to drill two holes a little closer together on the plate so just measure twice.

dropping a tooth in the front is a good idea too, the 06 10 has a taller 1st gear than the 04-05 so its a little less wheelie happy.

one friend of mine has Akro slip ons on her 06 10, another has a full Arrow system on his 06 10, both look pretty nice. much better than stock.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did the home depot L bracket thing, looks 10x better than stock, I have heard dont convert chains, And as far as exhaust goes, I wont push anything but the boz anymore. Its a great exhaust, sounds amazing and isnt nearly as loud as everyone makes it out to be...pure amazing...

·
Registered
230 Posts
congrats on the bike. I upgraded from a 636 myself (mine was stolen). Love the zx-10. It doesnt feel any less flickable to me (but i did go a month without a bike so that may have something to do with it) but the power is great. I do agree on the gearing though, 1st is crazy long. Anyways, enjoy the new ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.