Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the initial service at around 530 miles at the dealer. They used Bel-Ray conventional oil, with a Honda oil filter. The oil was 10w40, which is what I changed it with later (Amsoil).

The bike just rolled over 3000 miles yesterday on the way home from work. Like I said in previous posts, the ticking seems to be temperature dependent - it ticks more when the bike is cold, and when it has been in traffic for an extended period of time (towards the upper end of its temp range). If I go on a long highway ride, the bike actually doesn't get very hot, so usually the ticking is the quietest immediately after I exit the highway.

At this point, I'm just going to ride the thing. I have experience rebuilding 4 stroke dirt bike engines, as well as extensive automotive experience. If the bike blows up at 10k, I will just rebuild/fix it myself. Its getting to the point where I'm not enjoying riding as much because I'm worrying about the noise. I just need to let it go and let the chips fall as they may.
Huh? Honda oil filter? Interesting.....otherwise if its covered under warranty, pile on the mileage without cause for worry. But be aware of the noise, too. Don't blow it off. If the noise does increase in frequency and intensity....obviously another trip to the dealer called for.

Enjoy...ride careful!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The ticking in your video does seem somewhat normal - I recently purchased a z650 new and test rode one before and both make a similar tick sound, especially when warmed up.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts