Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother just bought a 2013 636. The bike was already set up for track and it came with a quick shifter and GP shift. I have not seen the bike yet and won't til I get to NJMP this weekend. Is it an easy change to make back to standard? I know on most bikes it is a easy as fliping the knuckle on the shift rod. Is it the same on the 636. Does the quick shifter get in the way of making the swap. neither of us have ever run with a quick shifter and I don't really know with out seeing it if it would effect the swap back to standard.

·
Mad Hatter
1,318 Posts
can't tell you specifically, but some quickshifters only run in gp mode (backwards)

so you can flip it back but not with the quickshift.

the quickshift is a different shift rod that includes the actuator that shifts for you so to revert back you might have to remove that. hope this helps.

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts
When you change from GP to standard, you are going to change the shifter from push to pull (or vice versa). The Quickshifter will not work (the way it should). Instead of cutting ignition on upshifts, it will now cut it on downshifts. In other words, if you decide to change it to standard shift, you will have to disconnect the QS.

I'd highly recommend learning to use the GP shift pattern. It doesn't take long to get used to and it is MUCH easier to shift, especially when exiting corners on the track.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you change from GP to standard, you are going to change the shifter from push to pull (or vice versa). The Quickshifter will not work (the way it should). Instead of cutting ignition on upshifts, it will now cut it on downshifts. In other words, if you decide to change it to standard shift, you will have to disconnect the QS.

I'd highly recommend learning to use the GP shift pattern. It doesn't take long to get used to and it is MUCH easier to shift, especially when exiting corners on the track.
So the bike will work when changed to standard but the quick shifted fuction will not work. As for learning to ride gp we Both have tried it and don't like it. After 25+ years of riding standard gp just feels wrong and I don't believe it make you any faster. Mat Mlidin and Biaggi were both very fast riding standard shift.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
870 Posts
So the bike will work when changed to standard but the quick shifted fuction will not work. As for learning to ride gp we Both have tried it and don't like it. After 25+ years of riding standard gp just feels wrong and I don't believe it make you any faster. Mat Mlidin and Biaggi were both very fast riding standard shift.

Thanks for the reply.

True, Mladin and Biaggi were both fast riding standard.... but look at all the faster guys using GP...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yea I hear it all the time about GP shift. I hate it my brother hates it. I did not start the thread to argue about which is better. I just want to know if I can make the bike work on sunday using standard, brother has never used a quick shifter before so I just want to know if the bike will run correctly if he uses the clutch for up shifts and down shifts with out having to buy a new shift rod to replace the quick shifter rod?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I know lots of fast people who run standard shift, including three people with actual GP bikes, RS125's and TZ250's. I prefer standard shift myself, and the two tracks I run the most don't require you to up shift leaned over to the left so it's not much benefit at all.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
if its a bazzaz i have a standard shift sensor i'd trade or sell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts