Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
how much louder is the akra slip on than the stock exhaust, i have watched several videos and it doesn't seem like it's much louder than the stock? maybe it's just my crappy speakers..

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually the crappy mic that records the sound. The video sound doesn't do the akra any justice. If I were to grade the sound from 1 to 10, and 10 being the loudest and 1 being stock, I would say it was a 6. If you want a really loud exhaust, get a D&D exhuast.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't want aomething to loud. I had a ART pipe on my 03 CBR600rr and to me that was a great sounding pipe. I want something that sounds clean not raspy that is a good bit louder than the stock pipe. I am torn between the akra and the yosh.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest the Akra then.

I want something that sounds clean not raspy that is a good bit louder than the stock pipe. I am torn between the akra and the yosh.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hey Rob, go with the Akra. It has the clean non raspy sound that you're looking for. It's not loud and obnoxious, just adds balls and low end tone that can't be beat.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[:+1]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm on the verge of getting a slip-on and was wondering if you noticed any decrease in low end since you removed the exhaust valve. I know that you won't gain anything from a slip-on but if I'm going to lose power I don't think making it louder would justify this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice Job. I'm also considering getting a slip-on soon, but to me the Akra just looks too stock, is it just me? I think I'm leaning towards the two brothers or another twin pipe setup. Just a little too expensive right now.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I saw a how-to on retaining an exhaust valve that most slipons bypass. Did you toss this or salvage it? I'm curious to know how your low end feels too. Yeah, I know STFD and search and stuff, but eh...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't notice any lost of power. It's way more fun to ride now. I'm hitting the throttle a lot harder. I just bypassed the exhaust valve. As far as the Akra looking too stock, that's what I wanted. I didn't want two huge pipes underneath my seat for everyone to see. I like the low profile look. It all depends on what look you're going for.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey thanks for the pictures. You just made up my mind. I'm def. goin with the same pipe. I don't want some big pipe stickin out and stuff either. Looks great. I might even put the stock rear end stuff back on too. Atleast the signals, prob. move the plate. Good lookin tho. And thanks again. :D

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a way weld the exhaust valve back on?

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
[:+1]
I could feel no ill effect from removing the exhaust valve what so ever..
Felt just as strong if not stronger....
Though i am running a full AKra

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by rainking1978
Is there a way weld the exhaust valve back on?
Despite of what powersplash said, the how to on welding back the exhaust valve is for a different exhaust with a different midpipe.

I have the Akra slip-on and specifically tried to figure out a way to do it but the Akra midpipe is (first) much shorter then the one used in the write-up and (second) with different bends (there is a bend in the Akra midpipe exactly where the valve should be) so unless you know how to re-bend titanium piping and know how to weld titanium, I don't think that there is an easy way to do it. (at least, I don't know of one)

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
Hey man, congrats on getting the new pipe on, and I'm glad you like it! The bike looks nice, but not sure on how much you're able to get out on it with all the swimming y'all doing down there! I'm up in Rochester for the summer, but I'll be coming down for a lot of the weekends. I'm coming back this weekend, but not brining the bike. If the weather is nice next weekend, I'll bring it with me. I'll give you a heads up to see if you want to ride sometime.

Bike looks great, have fun with it, and we'll be in touch!

~ rick

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks rbray. Binghamton got flooded really bad. Well, give me a call next time you're here with your bike and we can hit some twisties in PA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.