Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
My dad just bought me a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r lime green. It is beautiful and I can't wait to take it for a spin!
I am currently in the waiting process of taking a motorcycle training course, and hope I can become registered soon! I know pretty much nothings about motorcycles, or riding them, but I am excited to learn.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Welcome to KF :Hello:

Good for you for taking a training course and for starting out on a great bike. There is a lot to love about the 250r no matter how many years you've been riding. We like smart riders around here. ;)

Meanwhile, shop for some gear, always wear it when you ride, and have fun!

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
^what sinco said

:welcome:

Good on you for starting on a 250 and trying to take the MSF course.

Buy some gear, helmet, gauntlet gloves, jacket as a good start.
Good additions are pants (leather or overpants), full size motorcycle boots, and spine protector.

I wear all the above, every time I ride. There is only maybe 2 or 3 times a year I don't and the only thing I leave out is my spine protector and wear jeans (which are useless) instead of proper riding pants.

Keep in mind gear is the difference between walking away from a crash in disgust and being wheeled away on a stretcher.
I've been in four lowsides on the track and 2 minor sub 15 mph spills on the street. I have walked away from every single one of them with only sore muscles, knock on wood.
Guess why?

BTW here's a parting thought

ride safe, wear your gear, have fun

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Spot on about the boots. More important even than a jacket. They need to be long enough not just to cover the ankle, but to grip well up the leg so thay can resist twisting of the ankle. That's the difference between getting back on the bike and limping off with torn ligaments.

For the street, especially if you intend to ride in rain, textile gear (Jacket and pants) has advantages over leather in terms of comfort and weather protection and offers almost the same degree of protection. Get a jacket with built in CE rated impact armour and back protector and you'll be pulling the armour on every time you wear the jacket.

Gauntlet gloves need the gauntlet part able to be pulled tight with a zip - in rain you have to tuck them inside the jacket sleeves or they fill up with water. Most leather jackets don't have enough room in the sleeves to allow this either. Short gloves don't protect the wrists and are liable to pulled off in a spill.

Rob

·
13,060 Posts
Spot on about the boots. More important even than a jacket. They need to be long enough not just to cover the ankle, but to grip well up the leg so thay can resist twisting of the ankle. That's the difference between getting back on the bike and limping off with torn ligaments.
I don't know if I'd say they were more important than a jacket but the point is moot regardless.

Get both the jacket and full length boots. :thumbup:

Gauntlet gloves need the gauntlet part able to be pulled tight with a zip - in rain you have to tuck them inside the jacket sleeves or they fill up with water. Most leather jackets don't have enough room in the sleeves to allow this either. Short gloves don't protect the wrists and are liable to pulled off in a spill.

Rob
Or velcro

Hm, I've never had a problem with my gloves filling up with water in the rain. Maybe I just haven't noticed because my gloves get soaked from the outside pretty quickly.

·
13,060 Posts
I've seen a bunch of Komodo gear at the track. Definitely doesn't compare to sidi but not bad though based on the prices on the link you posted, I'd rather go with A* boots for like $50 more.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely rock the A* or Sidi stuff if I could. I looked at the closeout specials for A* boots and they were still going for $280. I wish I could get them, but I just needed to get myself onto any kind of good, cheap boot because my ankles feel naked wearing those Shift Fuel shoes.

·
13,060 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely rock the A* or Sidi stuff if I could. I looked at the closeout specials for A* boots and they were still going for $280. I wish I could get them, but I just needed to get myself onto any kind of good, cheap boot because my ankles feel naked wearing those Shift Fuel shoes.
The SMX-5 boot is cheaper at $220-$250

Boots > Racing Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

I hear you, I have some sidi dohas which I used to wear before getting full length boots and I have honestly not worn them once since I got full length boots.

I wear full length boots everywhere, even clubbing. Just hide them under jeans and you're good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts