Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know a good place to get new bearings for front and rear for an 05? has anyone replaced them before? is it easy? how long does it take? thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i had my dealership take out the bearings and according to them they shouldnt be reused after taking them out (im getting my rims powder coated) they want to charge me $30 per bearing, $150 for a new pilot power rear, and over $115 for taking the wheels, bearings, roters off and putting them back on and balancing the wheels

this sounds really expensive considering it shouldnt take more then 15 min to do...keep in mind i only brought them the tires not the bike they have already been removed from my bike

ps. bugjuice the bearings were tasty [:p]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
ahhhh gotcha.. hairy muff then..
yeah, don't reuse old ones really, if it can be helped. Sometimes they get mushed up when removing if they're in there tight..
no idea where to get after market ones, and if you find some, make sure they're good. No point saving a few bucks if you have to replace them in half the time you'd have to replace OE ones

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah dont know if its realistic to spend $325 just to get a new rear tire and have all that taken off and put back on....is it easy to mount a tire and put bearings in? i have never tried

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
the bearings aren't too hard, but if you aren't quite sure what you're doing, you could easily ruin a new set of bearings. So that's your call.

As for the tire, you'll need a beadbreaker to stick it on. Having not done something like this before, I guess you don't have one ;)
Got any racing buddies? or anyone that can change a tire for you? And don't forget balancing of the tire too.. Other wise a tire shop should be able to sort it out for you fairly cheap, if the original place doesn't do the whole lot for you.

Flick me an email, I have a pdf page with some tips on the bearings.. [email protected]

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats a good brand of bearings?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The bearings aren't too hard to do, but you will require some special tools and time...
1) Inside snap ring pliers;
2) Bearing remover with 25x28 adapter; and
3) Bearing diver set.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dude, you don't need new bearings. That's BS. I took mine out to Powder coat when the bike had 1000k on it, put em back in. 24k now. You won't have a problem. Without the calipers attached the rear and front spin forever. Just be gentle with em AND DON'T PUNCTURE THE RUBBER.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
yah... all we ever do on the race bikes is pull em out, clean em and repack them with racetech grease.... (speaking of wheel bearings)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm i guess i should go back in the shop and ask to see the "ruined" bearings then and let him know if i should put them back in or not then?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Originally posted by loco
Dude, you don't need new bearings. That's BS. I took mine out to Powder coat when the bike had 1000k on it, put em back in. 24k now. You won't have a problem. Without the calipers attached the rear and front spin forever. Just be gentle with em AND DON'T PUNCTURE THE RUBBER.
[:Agree]

I had my rims done last winter (candy chrome).Once they was done I put the same bearings back in. I now have 17,000 miles on my 04 636 and its still good to go. They just have to be careful taking them out, maybe they dont know how to properly take them out. Also check www.tireexpress.com for tires. The dealer will rape you on tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.