Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I got my 2008 ZX6R about a month ago and was wondering what kind of adjustments are necessary? I read in the manual that the suspension is preset for a rider that weight 180 pounds, well, I'm 210 - do I need to adjust the suspension? What else?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes I'd highly recommend a suspension setup at your weigh, it'd make a big difference.

Nothing else to adjust beyond that though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well since loosing weight sucks- I recomend getting your suspension set up professionaly or get with someone that know what there doing-having the right suspension set-up will increase your learning abilities and riding performance-be it on the street or track-Guarantee you that you'll be able to trust your bike in the corners a lot more once your suspension has been dialed in.-sorry for the long wright-up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I weigh 210 too and i was wondering if i can adjust it by myself or if i have to go to the dealership to have them charge me 200 bucks to do it for me?

·
Registered
738 Posts
+1 on the suspension. I feel that this should be the first mod you do to your bike, it is almost a requirement. These bikes are fast enough, getteing them to handle is the best way to increase the fun factor, and really let your potential grow as a rider. A properly set-up suspension is the key!

·
Registered
39 Posts
can a regular kawi dealership perform this supsension adjustment or do you have to go to a specialty shop? how much would this service cost?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I weigh 210 too and i was wondering if i can adjust it by myself or if i have to go to the dealership to have them charge me 200 bucks to do it for me?
Sure you can do it your self...................IF you KNOW what your doing!!!!!!-otherwise i wouldn't recomend you touch that part of your bike-It's like being a virgin again-only with your bike-if you dont do it right your just gonna mess shit up-and it's gonna cost ya in the long run-so take care of her(^^,)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke with service guys at the Kawasaki dealership and they told me that they can only do very limited adjustment to the suspension - cost $40. For proper suspension tuning got to go to the suspension shop. I called one and they told me that being 210 and up requires spring replacement on the bike - parts and labor will be around $300.

Can you guys confirm that spring replacement is really necessary or they just trying to sell me a part?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The stock shock can only handle so much. I had always heard that the stock settings were for a 155-160lb rider as well. I've never heard 180. I weigh 200 and I set mine up myself.

Do not have the dealership do it. I'd sooner suggest you do it yourself.

Ask that suspension shop what spring they are replacing yours with.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I spoke with service guys at the Kawasaki dealership and they told me that they can only do very limited adjustment to the suspension - cost $40. For proper suspension tuning got to go to the suspension shop. I called one and they told me that being 210 and up requires spring replacement on the bike - parts and labor will be around $300.

Can you guys confirm that spring replacement is really necessary or they just trying to sell me a part?
NO! that is total shit!!!!!!-I weigh 240-still on stock suspension-It just requires it to be stiffened-they r trying to scam you bro

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
NO! that is total shit!!!!!!-I weigh 240-still on stock suspension-It just requires it to be stiffened-they r trying to scam you bro
It's not total shit. It's actually very close to the truth. The stock spring in this bike is definitely not capable of being correctly setup for a 240lb individual.

I just want to know out what spring they were going to swap in for $300 including labor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The stock suspension is OK for the average rider of weights up to 240lbs easy!

I weigh 240 lbs and take my son's bike with stock suspension ('07 model) around the track regularly with NO problems at all. He weighs 180lbs and the bike handles perfectly with me on it.

Sure it could be better with an Ohlins or something else, but the stock shock is more than capable enough for anybody up to 240lbs (maybe even heavier). Don't let the people talk sh.. in your head.

The difference in sag between my son's 180lbs and my 240lb's is only about 3mm. Nothing serious. You don't need another spring. Just increase your preload a little bit.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
The stock suspension is OK for the average rider of weights up to 240lbs easy!

I weigh 240 lbs and take my son's bike with stock suspension ('07 model) around the track regularly with NO problems at all. He weighs 180lbs and the bike handles perfectly with me on it.

Sure it could be better with an Ohlins or something else, but the stock shock is more than capable enough for anybody up to 240lbs (maybe even heavier). Don't let the people talk sh.. in your head.

The difference in sag between my son's 180lbs and my 240lb's is only about 3mm. Nothing serious. You don't need another spring. Just increase your preload a little bit.
total BS
you obviously know nothing about suspension.
one reason why so many people crash is because the suspension is maladjusted or even the tire pressure is too much.
when the suspension bottoms out you have no more travel the bike becomes stiff and easy to slide out in the turn.

for straight up riding
you can overload the suspension and still roll fine.

but the bike STOCK is engineered for 155lb rider
http://myzx6r.com/suspension.htm

if you are 240 and think the bike is fine, hahahahahahaha

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i love suspension i could read books and watch videos and talk to people about it for days. it the one thing u can do for free and it does mke for different ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ignorance is bliss.

What may feel "great" or "fine" to some riders may feel underdamped or oversprung to others. It all depends on how YOU use your bike, what you're looking to get out of it, and your level of experience in diagnosing how it should or shouldn't ride.

I picked up my 07 zx6r in early March with little experience riding save for a stint back in '00-02. I was ~190 pounds. The bike felt great to me. Stable on the straights, predictable in the corners, no hint of head shake. Just what I needed to get my legs back under me. Come April I (about 1,000 miles later) I set the sag on the kawi. It was close, only 3-4 mm off "ideal" numbers. Fast forward to June when I picked up a race prepped SV650.

The rear suspension on the SV is a Penske double adjustable and the front is a set of TLR forks. Both have been sent out to GMD Computrack, sprung and valved for my weight. Numbers wise the SV is raked out. It turns in easier, flops left to right and right to left transitions with less effort; it just physically feels 100 pounds lighter (no scales to compare the two, sorry). However at slow speeds around the pits it's twitchy. It wants to turn.

I've started making small adjustments to the zx6r to try to get the turn in better and transitions more crisp hopefully minus the twitchiness. Without being able to compare the zx6r to the SV I would have continued under the impression that the zx6r handles "great" and "fine." In reality it probably does... it's just slow and sluggish compared to a raked out race bike.

My recommendation? Read a lot. Ride other bikes when you get the chance. Set static sag and rider sag up for your "ideal" numbers. Suspensions, whether on a car or a bike can be pretty mysterious but there really isn't any black magic involved.

Fitz

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i wold have to say the only way u know what works is by trying stuff just do it on a road u look and write everything down that way u know what works and what not to use. And the only factors on suspension is weight and how fast u ride. just rmember it wil ride different with two on the just ur self.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts