Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yup,

I will most likely be leaving the kawi brand. As much as I would like to get a zx6r, I dont think it is a good choice on the riding I do. Commute to work, and weekend riding, no track.

Narrowed my choices down to 2: (3 including the z1000 or zx6r - to much of a jump from a 250 but I dunno)

Triumph Street Triple R
Yamaha FZ6 or FZ6R

Going tomorrow to the Triumph place, wish me luck :p

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The Triumph is a much better bike than the ZX-6R anyway. A lot more torque and much better handling. More of a jump than the 6R in fact, but as long as you've got decent miles in on the 250 you'll be OK.

Rob

·
Registered
948 Posts
Leave it to the Englishman to say the Triumph is better.... You can't compare a Speed Triple and ZX6R. They are two completely different machines built for separate purposes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ninja 1000. Do it.

(z1000 or zx6r - to much of a jump from a 250 but I dunno)
Don't worry about that. This should concern you if you've gotten maybe a month and 500 miles of riding, or picking out your first bike. On your 250, you've learned how to ride a motorcycle, and can carry that knowledge to any other two-wheeled device. In addition to mechanics, you've learned how the rules of the road apply (and do not apply) in several situations. Yes, power on any of the machines you're looking at dwarf the 250's, but you know how to ride, and know that they are powerful, and know how to take it easy getting used to the throttle and clutch. After learning how to ride, and how to ride on the road, you can upgrade to whatever you want. The reason powerful machines are bad in the hands of beginners is the fact there are so many things to focus on when you begin riding. After learning the road (thus it becomes second nature), learning how to ride another bike is child's play.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
i have the FZ6 (2007) LOVE THIS MACHINE (but deep down if i could find a street triple 675 I would buy it in a heartbeat; they are just a wee bit out of my price range)
careful don't get the FZ6or fz6r 09+ because they changed some important things
for example they downgraded the rear tire size
my 07 is a 180
the 09+ are 160?
because when i had my ninja 650r (which has a 170 rear tire i was like WTF why do the new fazers have smaller rear tires than the ninja 650r?)

bikes to also consider:
ducati monster
FZ8 (looks kinda fun)
FZ1
remember to post up when you get your bike (even if ya a traitor- i am)

·
Registered
297 Posts
they changed some important things
for example they downgraded the rear tire size
my 07 is a 180
the 09+ are 160?
Why is that negative? The Ninja 250 proves you don't need a 300mm wide tire to rock any turn. Additionally, the bike isn't putting down 150 horsepower, so the extra rubber isn't doing much.

Having a smaller rear lowers cost of ownership.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
180s are the standard, so if you get a flat and need a replacement my local shop didn't have the quirky ninja 650r size 170 tire in stock.

ease of parts also lowers ownership costs.
if you have specialized parts, they will be harder to find and get, and more expensive...
i hate to rag on the 250s cause they are fun bikes, but i feel way more comfortable on a wider tire (i know the 180s aren't as "flick-able" but if your unable to switchback turns, your doing something wrong)
just dropping pointers- also thanks for your wonderful insight

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
Look into the SV650 as well. They're nice bikes.
Comfortable but still powerful, but smooth power delivery.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I like the Street Triple R .. it's a hot looking bike, but, for obvious reasons, I'd say go with the Z1000.

I love my bike .. very comfortable, power range is throughout the entire RPM band, the 1043cc's will help get you out of any situation quickly and fluently.

It can be a wheelie machine if you want it to be, or it can carve the mountain roads.

And if you get rid of the gay stock mirrors and remove the "Kawasaki" lettering from the side fairings, you'll get people starring at the bike all the time wondering what the hell it is. Also with this being said, I had a vinyl shop make me custom stickers in Ducati's 1198 S font type that says "Z1043" which will go in place of the Z1000 on the rear tail once they arrive.

I will say this though .. I test road an 08' Ninja 250R for a friend who is going to start riding soon, and WOW, I thought I was on a scooter. There is a HUGE difference in power between the 250 and the Z1000. I redlined that 250 through the 1st 3 gears and it nearly felt like I was standing still. The more power on the Z may feel pretty nuts at first, but you'd probably get used to it in a day, and it will feel very nice. I say this simply because the 250 just didn't seem to want to move. Not like I remember it at the MSF Course, but that could be because I was in a parking lot. x_x

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Triumph is a much better bike than the ZX-6R anyway. A lot more torque and much better handling. More of a jump than the 6R in fact, but as long as you've got decent miles in on the 250 you'll be OK.

Rob
I rode the Street Triple R last friday, but I didn't think it had that much more torque than my own ZX636 :eek: It was a very good bike to ride though, very good suspension and brakes :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
bikes to also consider:
ducati monster
FZ8 (looks kinda fun)
FZ1
remember to post up when you get your bike (even if ya a traitor- i am)
I test rode the FZ8 about a month back - fun bike. Lots of torque down low and across the band. Quite flickable albeit a bit heavy when standing still. One thing that annoyed me were the footpegs but I guess since it's a new bike in the US, the aftermarket will slowly catch up.

One thing that I really want to test ride is the Monster series, they look hawt.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys my mind is made up ... sorry to say but:

Getting a 2012 in white minus the arrow exhaust for now.

Went to dealers here in CT, they told me it is VERY hard for them to get the street triple because of some crap triumph is doing now. They had 1 new street triple and the next one will be in october sometime. There is 1 more dealer I am doing to to see if they have a differant color but if no, I am getting 3000 for my ninja on trade and out the door price for the triple is gonna be $7980

They did not bug on price of 9599 ... but all the fees, taxes, freight, setup blah blah add up. Wish me luck.

Also thanks for all the input and comments. My 250 just hit over 5000 miles too, not a moment to soon to upgrade :)

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
297 Posts
*reading post*
ah... hmm... yes, that makes sense... I see... a white Triumph, intere-

Image uploading. Refresh page to view
OH GOD! I LOOKED RIGHT AT ITS EYES! KILL IT! :violent:

Aftermarket headlamps, please. :) Nice bike, by the way. Hope you get it!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The headlights on the new bikes have caused some concern amongst Triumph lovers. I got the last of the bikes with round headlamps. It's easy to convert back.

For the US, as the US beam pattern isn't brilliant, the round headlights give you the option of fitting the much better Cibie lenses and reflectors.

On the torque issue, it isn't so much the torque at high revs as that the torque 'curve' is almost flat from 3K rpm to 11K.

Tronix - are getting the lowboy exhaust or the underseat one? And are you getting the bodywork included?

Rob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, I think that's the route I'm going to go as well whenever I upgrade. The Street Triple looks great, although I do prefer the round headlights.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I wasn't a fan of the new headlights. Preferred the round ones. Felt it kept with the streetfighter styling of the bike.

But all the same, the striple is a hot bike.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
doesn't the 2010/2011 have the double exhaust vs the underslung single exhaust?
double exhaust is way more badass...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts