Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm looking at a 1996 ZX6R as a trade for my yamaha YZF1000.
Is there anything I should look out for whith a bike like this?
I badly wanted one in 1995 when they came out so I'm all for a trade as long as the bike is sound.
How well does these bikes run?How are brakes,suspension,rim width?
Also is there any possibillity of spooning in a bigger engine in it like a ZX9R :D
I figure a bike like this should handle well? Is there any bike reviews here on the forum for the bike?I've searched but couldn't find anything.
I would be thankfull for your replies:)
Mikey

·
Registered
262 Posts
1996 ZX6R is a great bike. The 1995 ZX6R's had some issues with frames cracking, but the problem was fixed for 96. My 96 runs great, very fun and fast. I replaced the brake pads with some EBC HH ones. (Also replaced the brake lines with stainless steel braided)I put some fresh oil in the forks, after I replaced the seals and have had no issues. Suspension seems very good to me. I have found the handling to be pretty solid for a bike of 10 years old in design.

I also did several other mods such as aftermarket racing rearsets, WileyCo bolt-on muffler, etc. All in all, I've been very happy with my purchase of this bike. I too remember seeing these in the dealerships back in 96 and hoping to own it one day.

How many miles does it have?

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 96 runs great guns, haven't had any major issues with mine, its got 40 000kms on it, handles well (can throw it around)..

generally pretty sweet. Stick an aftermarket can on it, perhaps a new air filter and away you go.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I bought a '95 ZX-6R when they were released, and kept it for ten years, when I sold it to a friend. I did just over 200,000 kms on it and had absolutely no engine problems at all. The engine has never been pulled apart for anything other than valve clearances, and still runs great.

A friend of mine bought a '95 ZX-6R at the same time as me, and has done 90,000km without any problems. Not even a cracked frame. I also know of a '97 ZX-6R around here with over 150,000 hard km on it. It has been thrashed for it's entire life (I know the first two of it's three owners), and has only needed a new clutch so far.

The last trackday I did on mine was at about 185,000km, and it ran great all day long. Burnt a bit of carbon build up out of the exhaust though... [:I]

I cracked the original frame on mine, and it was replaced with a '96 spec frame. I also managed to eventually crack that frame, but it was a very minor crack, as opposed to the three cracks (one of which was major) in the '95 frame. It took me about 120,000km to crack the '96 frame. I'm no stunter, but I do ride my bikes fairly hard.

The compression damping on the forks is too hard on the standard setting, but can easily be adjusted using the adjusters. The standard size 160 rear tyre works great, giving very quick turn in and easy line changes mid-corner. The bike has an adjustable rear ride height as well.

The brakes are great, although the discs can be warped fairly easily.

Fitting a bigger engine (ZX-9R/ZX-7R) is not going to be easy and would require some fairly serious cutting and rewelding of the frame. A lot of people ask about this, some say they've seen it done, or actually done it themselves, but we (as a forum) have never seen any proof of a ZX-9R engine being fitted into a ZX-6R. It (and the ZX-7R engine) is just too wide to fit in the frame.

The '95 was easily the most fun bike I've ever owned (there's a reason why I kept it for ten years), and I miss it. Fortunately I still get to see it now and then. If the bike you're looking at is good (runs well, is not in bad condition, etc.) then just buy it. You won't regret it.

You'll be giggling after 1/2 a km. [:M121]

·
Registered
115 Posts
yea disc warping, my front discs are warped, replacing the discs is pretty expensive, but they still work really well its just that you feel a pulse when you break.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 95 zx6r and love it. Not a single problem with it. Only thing i have done is a jet kit and full tituim exhust. 26,000 Miles on it and still running strong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.