Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to put a new set of brakes on my 2013 Kawasaki Ninja EX 650. I was hoping that you all might have some advice on which pads and rotors are the best for my bike? I need to decide which pad & rotor combinations are the best for great stopping power? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
105 Posts
Hey, I'm also interested in this, lot of people say good things about Vesrah RJL Sports, quite a few people recommend running OEM discs as they are pretty good on kawis, I personally opted for EBC's XC rotors, they are their middle/high end rotors, avoid EBC Pro lites like the black plague, Vee's are slight step up from XCs, both XCs and Vees offer pretty good features, they are very light, last long and is practically impossible to warp them.

I'm running EBC HH pads and they last pretty good, 6000 miles or so, that said, I'm not too happy with initial bite, especially at the end of longer straight roads, once you get heat in them after a few aggressive corners they bite really well and have great response but cold they're pretty mediocre, will still stop your bike just fine though.

From what I heard brembo discs/pads are pretty meh for the price so I wouldn't bother too much, generally people have been giving stock rotor+ Vesrah RJL Sports and EBC Vee rotor+ Vesrah RJL Sports the best feedback. I wanna give EBC's higher end pads a try at least once like the EPFAs or maybe even the GPFAXs although the GPFAX are apparently not road legal due to being "too aggressive".

As for the rears, I can't for the life of me get them to be functional, steel brakelines, caliper rebuild, I have some cheap rotors to be fair, but the same HH pads and you have to step on it very hard to lock the rear, there is also a lot of travel before you get considerable braking. They are functional for utility such as stopping on hills and slow speed manoeuvres but I wouldn't bet on them providing more than 10% of total braking effort in a straight line using both brakes.

Hope this helps, but i'm interested in other's feedback too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. From what I read in your post would I be correct in assuming that stock rotors are pretty compatible with most pads? I also wanted to ask about sintered vs non. Is there any info about which ones are best to get the best bite? Honestly, I am a bit naive when it comes to motorcycle brakes. So, if anyone would be so kind as to list some combinations that have been proven to be really good?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
105 Posts
Thanks for your input. From what I read in your post would I be correct in assuming that stock rotors are pretty compatible with most pads? I also wanted to ask about sintered vs non. Is there any info about which ones are best to get the best bite? Honestly, I am a bit naive when it comes to motorcycle brakes. So, if anyone would be so kind as to list some combinations that have been proven to be really good?
Sintered pads have a stronger initial bite whilst Organic pads have a more progressive effort, Sintered pads last longer but wear the rotor more, Organics are the opposite, that's mostly the differences in a nutshell. As for stock rotors, lot of people run the stocks even on track, the stock rotors in the ER6s are for the most part identical to those found in ZX6Rs and ZX10Rs of similar years. Please I beg you to avoid no name brand disks and even some other cheapo brands like "Rezo" one of my friends were getting ones that were warped from the factory and there was no damage on the packaging, there was over 50% fluctuation when put on a brake effort tester.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sintered pads have a stronger initial bite whilst Organic pads have a more progressive effort, Sintered pads last longer but wear the rotor more, Organics are the opposite, that's mostly the differences in a nutshell.
That’s super helpful, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I just saw that. It’s great info. Nah, I won’t be buying anything cheap. Brakes are not a place where I try to save pennies. I take this area of the bike super seriously. But, I just don’t want to spend money on name brand, expensive, gear and get the short end of the stick. I want to upgrade not downgrade, you know what I mean. I’m just wanting a stronger bite when I need to brake fast.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
105 Posts
Yeah, I just saw that. It’s great info. Nah, I won’t be buying anything cheap. Brakes are not a place where I try to save pennies. I take this area of the bike super seriously. But, I just don’t want to spend money on name brand, expensive, gear and get the short end of the stick. I want to upgrade not downgrade, you know what I mean. I’m just wanting a stronger bite when I need to brake fast.
Another thing that might be worth looking into is getting some bigger radial master cylinders, like a used OEM ZX6R one, those will provide more power for less effort at the lever artificially improving response and bite, they are pretty cheap relatively and much easier to replace MCs than calipers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am preparing to put a new set of brakes on my 2013 Kawasaki Ninja EX 650. I was hoping that you all might have some advice on which pads and rotors are the best for my bike? I need to decide which pad & rotor combinations are the best for great stopping power? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
If it were me, I'd swap the brake lines before messing with any of that. Venhill makes some rather nice and very affordable brake lines. I personally got ones that roughly matched the red of my bike. Super sexy, and they improved the performance of my braking system. If that isn't enough for you, then I'd consider changing the other things, but really, stainless is the way to go. They last longer, they fade less and they really increase your feel for the brakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second an upgrade to the brake hose to stainless ones (like Galfer). It will make your brakes markedly more responsive and hard.
As for pads and rotors, get the best street products. Track brakes are not suitable for street.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ceramic pads helps with break dust and break fade

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What are some of the best street pads out there? I have heard that it is necessary to match pads and rotors. So, my question is then what is a good combo of pads and rotors? I’ve read about Galfner; but what about ebc? I would love to have some input on what are some great street pads and rotors?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to add to that, I am ready to buy now, pads rotors and I think I’m going with Galfner lines. I’ve been reading about EBC pads, but, then I wonder what rotors to go with those pads?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
No need to match rotors and pads if you go for street / OEM replacement units. I would recommend the Brembo sintered pads, the red ones from their line, for sport and occasional track riding. Great bite and power, linear performance and long lasting performance too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to say thanks to everyone for your input. I took the advice and started with everything, lol!!! I bought the spiegler stainless steel braided brake lines that have the yellow Teflon coating and titanium banjo fittings (I have a black 650 with yellow spring and accents all over). I bought the front and rear premium set with the alternate route; so, both of the front lines come off of the master cylinder instead of one coming down and the other line running off of the main line. This way both front calipers get equal pressure from the cyclinder. these lines got such great ratings all over the places that I researched. These are OEM repracements. PART 1 - Check

I also bought all new Galfner HH semi sintered pads for both fronts and the rear.
Finally, I topped it all off with two bottles of EBC DOT 4 brake and clutch fkuid

I will start with installing the brake lines and flushing out the fluid so I can use this new fluid. I’ll let you all know how it goes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts