Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the guy I bought my ER6 from must have never lubed the chain and after oiling it constantly I can't get the kinks to go away. So anybody have any recommendations on a not super expensive chain?

Thanks!

Also I don't know what they are called but do our bikes have the stop to help save the engine case in the situation of a chain snapping?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
105 Posts
Did vx2s or 3s are brilliant long lasting budget option, i personally run tsubaki sigma xrgs it's actually worthwhile to go the extra cost cos the legitimately last 30k miles with lackluster maintenance no problem, i can imagine 40k+ if you take care of them alpha xrgs are a good cheaper alternative with a bit less life

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Antares, thanks for the recommendation. my mechanic told me to stick with an o-ring chain however and I believe both of the ones you mentioned are xring, isi that correct?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
105 Posts
Hi Antares, thanks for the recommendation. my mechanic told me to stick with an o-ring chain however and I believe both of the ones you mentioned are xring, isi that correct?
O-ring,x-ring,z-ring, whatever ring makes no practical difference point is they are not dry chains and have internal lube. There is a lot of marketing bs between different o-ring types but you'll truly never be able to tell the difference unless you're a hardcore racer, even then, doubtful. These are all very high quality chains so you can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I'm a ditz. I asked my mechanic and he said yes.....he meant anytime of ring is good :) I was actually having a really hard time finding a o ring chain that would go up to 650 cc anyway so I think I'll be getting a x ring, as I found a D.I.D DID X-SERIES MOTORCYCLE MX CHAIN 120 LINKS 520VX2 520 @ D.I.D DID X-SERIES MOTORCYCLE MX CHAIN 120 LINKS 520VX2 520 VX2 NATURAL 120FB | eBay for $75 seems reasonable....

Thanks Antares!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
105 Posts
Yep, I'm a ditz. I asked my mechanic and he said yes.....he meant anytime of ring is good :) I was actually having a really hard time finding a o ring chain that would go up to 650 cc anyway so I think I'll be getting a x ring, as I found a D.I.D DID X-SERIES MOTORCYCLE MX CHAIN 120 LINKS 520VX2 520 @ D.I.D DID X-SERIES MOTORCYCLE MX CHAIN 120 LINKS 520VX2 520 VX2 NATURAL 120FB | eBay for $75 seems reasonable....

Thanks Antares!
Yep that's ideal make sure you swap it along with the sprockets, they are an extra 25 bucks but should always be swapped as a set

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Check out the Enuma and the Saito sets on this site too:

The Enuma is actually the OEM chain and sprocket set and it is by far the best in every aspect but also very expensive.

The Saito is a rebranded JT set, very good quality and amazing value for money, almost half the price of the Enuma.

The DID set let me down to be honest, it proved to be the least reliable and short lived set. My use is quite hard core though, sport riding, track riding and long trips which test the chain to the limit. Maybe it is fine for normal use.

From these three I totally recommend the Saito set because of its unbeatable value for money.

And yes, you should always change the chain and the sprockets together, there is sprocket wear that you can't see which can quickly affect a new chain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the wonderful information. I'm still leaning towards the DID vx series because of price and I only use the bike to commute a couple of days a week. In terms of the DID VX series is there a huge difference between the 2 other than the vx2 can do 750 cc's and the vx3 800? I'm assuming that means the vx3 is a bit stronger/etc?
Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
105 Posts
Thanks everyone for the wonderful information. I'm still leaning towards the DID vx series because of price and I only use the bike to commute a couple of days a week. In terms of the DID VX series is there a huge difference between the 2 other than the vx2 can do 750 cc's and the vx3 800? I'm assuming that means the vx3 is a bit stronger/etc?
Thanks
It's irrelevant to this bike, I personally had the VX2s for 15k miles and I had to take them off not because of excessive wear and looseness but because they started rusting over and my sprockets were done. VX1,2,3 is just generational improvement, the 3s being the latest, but all of them are decent for the price imo. I do recommend a little bit extra and going the tsubaki route, my dad's XT600 that I had for a while is still running the tsubaki chain after 25k miles and that bike is definitely not friendly to chains, I've got a set on my ER6 too, but honestly the VX served me more than fair enough and definitely got my money's worth out of it even if it's shorter lived than some of the more premium options. I mean you can't ignore a full set for under 100 bucks. but if you spend 1.5x as much, you can probably get closer to 2x life

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Antares, I went ahead and ordered a VX3, should be here in a week or so. Thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Best chain I've every had was on my 1200 Bandit a Tsubaki X ring. put it on at 12000km when the original DID seized and sold it with my bike at 65000km. Still perfect. Main thing is I never used aerosol chain lube which makes grinding paste. I used epx90 gearbox oil and later the Go wax lube which is made for industrial dusty applications such as woodworking and agriculture. Found a lot of the karters and motorcross guys where using it. Doesn't fling or attract dirt and easy to clean off. Also endorsed by Waine Rainey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts