1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
for a second i thought you were going to review it.

then i remembered, you dont have a voice. you can just copy and paste.

thanks anyways.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
i want one, but i'm not willing to get rid of the ZX to make it happen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I happen to own one, which I have had for three months. The bike it replaces is a BMW 1200RT. I really liked the RT and would have kept it but I was in the unfortunate position of having to replace it, and I opted for a '10 C14 after a lot of deliberation. I also ride a gxsr 750, mainly on the track.

I absolutely love this bike. This is my opinion of it, compared to my old RT:

Hits:

1. Super wide power band. This thing has as much idle and low RPM torque as some V twins I have ridden. Ironically, you would expect a large displacement opposed twin like an RT to have a lot of low end torque but it doesn't. The C14 just feels like a rocket ship. But the torque curve is more gentle than a typical supersport, meaning it doesn't come in all at once. I'm sure this is mainly because of the variable valve timing. I've never ridden a ZX14 but I suspect it can be downright nasty. The engine is also very smooth.

2. Razor sharp handling. It's really heavy, but once it gets moving, it pretty much feels like any liter class supersport, particularly in the twisties.

3. Most routine maintenance items (oil changes and final drive oil changes) are a non-event. No fairing removal required to change the oil and filter. The BMW final drive oil change is a nightmare involving loosening the muffler, removing the rear wheel and partially dismantling the final drive assembly so the fluid can be drained. Then you need a very small funnel or horse syringe to fill it. The C14 is just drain on the side stand, fill on the centerstand. That's it.

4. Highway mileage can be quite good on long trips in hot weather. I've seen close to 50 mpg so far and the bike isn't broken in yet.

5. So far reliability has been 100%. The more expensive Beemer would have random engine failures on cold starts and sometimes idling in traffic.

6. From the Concours forum, there are people that run regular 87 grade gasoline with no problems (90 is specified.) I have been running 87 and have not had problems. I view this as a plus as much as I ride. Mileage is slightly better with it too.

Misses:

1. It's heavy, and very top heavy. It's very capable at slow speeds but challengine until you get used to it. The RT had a better turning radius. I can keep the C14 within two lanes of a U turn but not one like I could the RT. The bike is probably capable of tighter turns but I'm not there yet.

2. No factory cruise control. I REALLY MISS the factory cruise on my RT. On a touring bike, I think it's essential. I installed a Throttlemeister, which isn't as good as a factory cruise, but it works okay on long stretches. Other owners have installed proper cruise controls (a lot of work.)

3. Small tank. The tank only holds 5.3 gallons (I think that's right) but range is only about 200 - 230 miles under average riding conditions, so I'm filling up around 180 or so. I miss the RT's 300+ mile range.

4. Fuel economy is decent on long trips at constant speeds, but it sucks on short trips and spirited riding, probably due to the weight.

5. There is no providision to leave the hard cases and glove box in an unlocked state. I haul stuff (gym bags, etc.. or store helmets) on almost every trip, so I have to fumble for a key to open the cases every time even though it has a keyless start. Like what's the point.

The bottom line is this bike compares closely with an FJR and the much more expensive BMW K1300 series bikes with inline four engines. The C14 is a better, more capable bike than the FJR, and the quality is at least as good as the Beemer. In a race, I'd probably give it to the C14. I once paced a K1300GT rider with my gxsr on a twisty mountain road and ate him for lunch once I passed him. The C14 isn't much slower. When I rode other bikes, I missed riding a supersport. When I ride the C14, I don't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
review!

I too was weighing the RT vs Concours.

I ended up with a pristine 1998 Concours, and no monthly payment!

I love it. Light feeling, nimble, and fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great review, Mister Tee. I also went to a C-14 from a BMW - a K12RS. The BMW regular maintenance was always a bit of a pain - bodywork removal and parts costs (and availability where I live) The Connie is a bit quicker and a little more plush, and oil changes are a breeze. I haven't looked back yet.
I have to agree with you on a few items - cruise control should have been a factory standard along with self-cancelling turn signals. When are these manufacturers gonna get a clue??
Until they do, I'm satisfied with this bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts