Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello To All,
Just got a used 94 Ninja ZX6E about 3 weeks ago. Just 5,000 miles on it. I have been riding for 36 years mostly cruisers of all sorts. Before the Ninja the closest I came to a sports bike was a VMAX and a Moto Guzzi V11 Sport. At first I was a little intimidated by how responsive the Ninja is. Now, I love this bike. I am hooked on the 600. My wife of course thinks that it is ridiculous that a 50 year old man should switch to a sport bike. Most guys go from sport to cruiser as they get older. But I really love the handling, and acceleration. The sitting position takes the weight off my lower back.I am going to keep it for a while and then buy the new 2003 ZX6R in blue. Am I going through a mid life crisis? If it is, I have been going through it since I was fourteen. I live in Florida and it is a great place for going through a mid life crisis. I am going to try and learn as much as I can about these Ninjas because this is what I will be riding from now on.
Ride safely and God Bless,
Joe

Joseph G Moreno

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Welcome to the board. And if buying sportbikes means I'm in a mid-life crisis... bah, hope it lasts the REST of my life.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yo Joe...I'm going to be 49 this year and love riding my 6R. I agree with you about my back feeling better here than on a cruiser. I sold my 2001 Intruder ... one I never rode it after getting my 01 6R as a left over in 02...my back was one reason. I've rode all kinds of bikes and this is really a great all around bike. Age is only a number...you gotta think young to stay young. My riding buddy is 46 and has been riding sport bikes forever. I'm with you about the mid life crisis since I was a teenager...I have always had to have my toys. Welcome.

Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome to the board Joe... Glad to hear that you're enjoying your Ninja.. Wow.. 36 years of riding.. Hopefully you'll get all or most of your answers from here. We'll look forward to hearing about all you experiences too. Must be a change going from exclusively cruisers to a sportsbike. How do they compare? Usually I hear that guys will switch from the sportbikes to the cruisers.

I need a girl to ride, ride, ride...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's true. Most will switch from sport bikes to cruisers as they get older. I just don't feel like I am getting older. My prior bike before the ninja was one of the big 1500 intruders from Suzuki. Big, beautiful and loud. I sold it and my brother almost had me convinced to buy a Harley.I just wanted to try something different. I brought the Ninja from a private owner. It had 5,000 miles on it and in pretty nice shape. I started to ride it and I really liked the way it felt. I had read different opinions on how you need a chiropractor after you ride these bikes. It's not true unless you really are in bad shape, but then you would probably have problems with any bike. The things that I like about the Ninjas are the ergonomics,the handling, and that smooth power delivery, and the fact that so much power can come from such a small and tight engine. Again, I am new at this. Probably the things that I find fascinating about these bikes most experienced and seasones sport riders might take for granted. I am looking forward to purchasing the new 2003 ZX6R in blue. I can only imagine the improvement on 2003 compared to my 94. That is all I have to say for now. Lets keep in touch and be safe.

Joseph G Moreno

·
Registered
695 Posts
Florida and California and maybe some of the SW states are the BEST bike riding states in the US!!! I wish I was rich enough to buy a house in Florida so I could move down there for the winter and just ride everyday!

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well, if the VMax didn't kill you the Ninja won't be able to. Tell her to relax and hop on back wearing a tubetop and short shorts!

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yeah but the Vmax aloow you to ride it more gently....super sports like to be ridden hard....

that's where the danger comes in....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome Joe! Have you given any thought of stepping up to the 2000-2002 models first? I'm 32 and the 03's look very aggressive as far as comfort is concerned. BUT, I just raised the rear of my bike for better handling so we'll see how my comfort situation goes..

Good luck with whatever bike you choose.

Lance

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was reading about how the 2000-2002 models are more ergonomic. Maybe I should look into those first and not get over my head. I'm not into track racing, although I really enjoy watching thr Gp races.I am looking for a good street bike. My 94 is actually quite comfy. Once I get truly used to it I will be trading it in for a newer model. Do you think that the fuel injection is better than carborator?

Joseph G Moreno

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ergonomicly, yes, the 00-02 bikes will be far more comfy and less track oriented. The new bike looks like a razor sharp weapon, meant for the track. It also looks ot be a bike better suited for smaller people and from what I've heard that probably is the case. I will reserve final judgement until I get to sit on one and compare.

As far as fuel injection being better, I think that depends on what you're after specifically. A properly set-up carb could run with any fuely but it's the set-up that can be the pain in the azz. Fuel inj will make morning starts easier, and is easier to live with in the long term for those that don't like to tinker with jetting and needles etc. From what I've read, Kawi has done a fine job with it's FI system on the new 6r.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't worry if you are having a mid life crisis... as long as you are on a Ninja. I'm a 42 year old women and I just bought an 02 6R. I had to buy a leftover because the 03 looks a bit too aggressive at the wrists for me. Can't wait to ride when the snow melts! I think my husband wants to ride it as much as me. He has a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and we often switch bikes. All that matters is you're having fun!

2002 Yellow 6R

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey fellas! (and hot chicks) I notice discussion in here on the fuelys in comparison with carb. I know for a fact that my 03 (fuely) will start under some pretty stiff weather. It was 30 degrees here this morning, and I went to start it, and it started first crank without even using the choke. It could be because it was new, but my old bike was carb, and it started fine, as long as you used the choke, so I guess it is a matter of preference, and how much you like to tinker.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.