Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just read on the Morebikes app a possible er7 next year!
Decisions, decisions. I have to admit right now I can't make up
my mind whether to keep my beloved 2007 Kawasaki 650R or
go for the 2016 Yamaha FZ-07 Matte Silver. Those colors on
the FZ-07 look real sharp. Now Kawasaki is going to bring out
a 700? If I like the looks perhaps I'll consider it.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm not holding by breath just yet.
That just looks like a photoshopped version of the current bike.
Yeah, it looks cool, but the head light assembly looks like it will limit the angle of the steering severely.
I honestly don't know how they are going to increase the current engine's capacity.
It's already been fairly well documented that there is no room between the cylinders to bore them out, so unless they go for a longer stroke which would involve either shortened piston rods, or a taller top end, it may be a completely new motor, who knows.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If I was to change bikes I would opt for something different than a parallel twin again.

Even if the 07 is better than an Er the difference can't be night and day, in the end the 07 is a copy of the Er.

Other than that, it's all about pricing.

If Kawa goes on with the usual model upgrade with a price similar or close to that of the Yami the Er would be the better quality choice even with no cc upgrade.

In order to change the market's pricing standards Yamaha had to compromise quality with low quality materials and peripherals and the customer still covers the difference in the long run.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
And another thing, I think that the Er range has established a distinctive look and character through the years and it doesn't have to look like a poor man's H2.

That's ok for a 125cc race replica where looks are everything but not so for a more serious bike.

Stylistic cues and marque characteristics are welcome as long as they are not overwhelming :wink2:

·
Registered
561 Posts
The existing Kwak is far superior in terms of quality over the Yamaha. Sure the Yam is lighter and a little quicker, but like GR states, it's not a night/day thing!

Update your bike for sure if you feel you've out grown and want something...more, but I wouldn't consider this as a serious step up from the existing ER.

For anyone planning on changing their current bike for this, the Z800 is the step UP from the N; the SX is the step up from the F. This seems like more of a skip, or replacement of the existing ER-6n offering.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If I was to change bikes I would opt for something different than a parallel twin again.

Even if the 07 is better than an Er the difference can't be night and day, in the end the 07 is a copy of the Er.

Other than that, it's all about pricing.

If Kawa goes on with the usual model upgrade with a price similar or close to that of the Yami the Er would be the better quality choice even with no cc upgrade.

In order to change the market's pricing standards Yamaha had to compromise quality with low quality materials and peripherals and the customer still covers the difference in the long run.
I read somewhere that the FZ-07 is less money because it
doesn't have a fairing, doesn't have ABS, and has just basic
fueling; it's just a bare bones bike. Some people commented
that the brakes were good, the instrument gauge was good.

But then again, I heard that some people in England who ride their MT-07 in the winter were complaining of corrosion.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I read somewhere that the FZ-07 is less money because it
doesn't have a fairing, doesn't have ABS, and has just basic
fueling; it's just a bare bones bike. Some people commented
that the brakes were good, the instrument gauge was good.

But then again, I heard that some people in England who ride their MT-07 in the winter were complaining of corrosion.
There is an equivalent naked version of the Er and it still significantly more expensive in most markets.

Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying that the 07 is a bad bike, just that its overall build quality is not on par with the Er.

After all the Er was already offering great value for money so Yamaha chose to cut some corners quality wise in order to offer the 07 with a knock out price tag (and they did the same with the 09).

07 owners report corrosion, sub par suspension performance, poor quality plastics and seat materials and stuff like chains needing replacement after 4000kms.

So it's more like buying a chinese bike with a nice Yamaha engine and you get to pay the 1000€ price difference in increments in the future...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
There is an equivalent naked version of the Er and it still significantly more expensive in most markets.

Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying that the 07 is a bad bike, just that its overall build quality is not on par with the Er.

After all the Er was already offering great value for money so Yamaha chose to cut some corners quality wise in order to offer the 07 with a knock out price tag (and they did the same with the 09).

07 owners report corrosion, sub par suspension performance, poor quality plastics and seat materials and stuff like chains needing replacement after 4000kms.

So it's more like buying a chinese bike with a nice Yamaha engine and you get to pay the 1000€ price difference in increments in the future...
After I upgraded my 2013 650 to a 2014 ZX636 this summer, roommate finally went and upgraded his 250 to a 2015 FZ-07. Looks-wise I think it's quite ugly. Very little fairings, the windscreen is a joke of course, and the turn signals are hideous. Display panel seems nice, yet simple. Never rode it because don't want him riding my ZX, I've seen him make a few pretty careless mistakes on the road during rides and would not want to risk it with my new bike. But sounds very much like my 650 (nothing special). I think for the price it seems like a good bike and I'm sure it's a decent performer given that price, but I definitely prefer the looks of my previous 650.

And so, all that said, I agree with you on your points.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Yes, I read quite a few answers on a MT-07/FZ-07 forum,
and a lot of people were complaining of build quality, rust,
and corrosion. One MT-07 owner even admitted he never had
any rust or corrosion on his Kawasakis of the past even when
he did ride them in the winter.

I thought maybe it would be cool if I traded my 650R for the
FZ-07, but not now. I was having trouble with the Yamaha
salesman anyway. He was pressuring me for a $500 deposit
and wouldn't access the trade in value of my bike without the
deposit. I'll never go near that dealership ever again. But
then again, aren't they all pretty well like that?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yes, I read quite a few answers on a MT-07/FZ-07 forum,
and a lot of people were complaining of build quality, rust,
and corrosion. One MT-07 owner even admitted he never had
any rust or corrosion on his Kawasakis of the past even when
he did ride them in the winter.

I thought maybe it would be cool if I traded my 650R for the
FZ-07, but not now. I was having trouble with the Yamaha
salesman anyway. He was pressuring me for a $500 deposit
and wouldn't access the trade in value of my bike without the
deposit. I'll never go near that dealership ever again. But
then again, aren't they all pretty well like that?

I briefly rode a friend's brand new 07 and I could hear the chain over the engine's noise.

He tried three different chain oils with no result and then the dealer told him that it would be better to replace the chain at 1000kms. When he laughed and totally rejected that, the dealer told him that he must replace the chain at 1500kms. He got angry and decided to keep the chain for at least 15000kms but at 4500kms the chain was obviously too dangerous too keep and had to change it anyway...

The bike also feels and looks flimsy even in comparison to well maintained ten year older bikes, the seat is a joke and moves around all the time and it's impossible to unlock it without damaging - bending the key.

I think that you are experienced enough to understand how the market works so I agree with your reluctance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I briefly rode a friend's brand new 07 and I could hear the chain over the engine's noise.

He tried three different chain oils with no result and then the dealer told him that it would be better to replace the chain at 1000kms. When he laughed and totally rejected that, the dealer told him that he must replace the chain at 1500kms. He got angry and decided to keep the chain for at least 15000kms but at 4500kms the chain was obviously too dangerous too keep and had to change it anyway...

The bike also feels and looks flimsy even in comparison to well maintained ten year older bikes, the seat is a joke and moves around all the time and it's impossible to unlock it without damaging - bending the key.
I think that you are experienced enough to understand how the market works so I agree with your reluctance.
Thanks for the extra information about the FZ-07, especially
the chain. Actually I've never traded in a car or motorcycle
before, just sold them privately. I thought this salesman would
look after me because he sold me the 650R new back in 2007. He was
pretty slick. He said he would assess the bike when I gave him $500, and he make it look as if he was doing me a favor, and I could ride my 650R until the new bike came in, but
what he didn't tell was that he'd have to access it again so I'd
be at his mercy.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Thanks for the extra information about the FZ-07, especially
the chain. Actually I've never traded in a car or motorcycle
before, just sold them privately. I thought this salesman would
look after me because he sold me the 650R new back in 2007. He was
pretty slick. He said he would assess the bike when I gave him $500, and he make it look as if he was doing me a favor, and I could ride my 650R until the new bike came in, but
what he didn't tell was that he'd have to access it again so I'd
be at his mercy.
You are welcome as always. The salesman / dealer just wants to sell a product and make money.

Do you think that they mentioned anything about immediate chain replacement on a brand new bike to my friend above? Of course not!

What I did when I traded in a 200cc scooter once was to go and take offers from all three official dealerships and then threatening to go buy the bike from the guy offering the best price. Than the others would lower their price or offer me extras. I kept doing that until no one was willing to give me a better deal and it worked wonders. You have to offer them the full amount of money for this to work best though.

They still tried to totally screw me over during servicing later of course, but I just went to my mechanic and problem solved :)

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Doesn't look like it so far, and if these have been released in Europe, I don't see them releasing a brand new bike that would compete against it.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Doesn't look like it so far, and if these have been released in Europe, I don't see them releasing a brand new bike that would compete against it.
I would prefer to see our model evolved and improved to the maximum with all its shortcomings ironed out rather than Kawasaki engaging in a nonsensical power output war.

This category of motorcycles are not about power and the companies and customers can only benefit from that.

The most clever thing for Kawasaki to do would be to introduce an R or RR version as we discussed in he past!

Same engine, less weight, better peripherals, more aggressive looks and riding position and

BOOM!

You offer the best of two worlds without having two conflicting models in your range :wink2:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts