Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some new headlight bulbs to upgrade my light. They are the Osram Silverstar +50% which are supposed to be the brightest available. Well anyway, I got the package in the mail today, and noticed on the box that it says >200C. In other words, these lights will run at a temperature greater than 200 degrees celcius. I am wondering if anyone has used these in a kawi with plastic headlight lenses? Are these going to be too hot and melt the lense? I'm not sure what temp the OEM lights run at for comparison. Any help would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I heard a lot of the guys in the Zx-6R forum use them and have had no problems. Does it really say >200C? I've had silverstars in my car for 2 years now and haven't had any problems either.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What is the wattage of the bulbs? If they are 55 watts they should be OK. Its the high wattage say 100/120 that will melt your wiring harness and associated plastic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definately not reading the number wrong. I know the difference between the operating temp (>200 Celcuis (C)) and light temp (~5000 Kelvin (K)) I just wanted to know if anyone had had issues running them, and it sounds like they havent. They are 12V 35W H7 just like the OEM. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The 03's used the same bulb as the 05/06. My stock bulbs in my 03 were 55w as well. I think maybe someone changed them out with the wrong ones if you had 35w in there.

If that package actually reads >200c that means they are less than 200 degrees celcius. I was taught in school ">" that the opening eats the larger number which in the case would be the number on the left of the sign. Evne still at 200c that is 392f. That is really hot and I would be afraid would melt the housing myself.

Take the celcius number, 200 * 1.8 conversion # for farenhiet = 360 + 32 to complete conversion = 392f.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've got silverstars too... they run hot (you can feel the heat a foot or two in front of the headlight) but theres no WAY they're close to 400ºF! i would have to assume you'd melt the housing since they run all the time, and i've had no problems since installation 5 months ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.