Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Ninja 250R 2010. We changing spark plugs, so pulled off gas tank, but saw what appeared to be a hole in the top of the cylinder head. Center, directly below the gas tank. There doesn't
seem to be an threads in it for a bolt. Just sitting there open. Anyone have any idea if this should be there? did something fall out? here are a couple close up photos: This is looking directly down once he gas tank
has been removed. We cannot find photos in the mechanics manual we have of this particular view showing a hole, plugged hole, bolt in place - nonthing!!! Can anyone tell us what this is? Is if suppose to be there?
Thanks,
LT
IMG-2484.JPG
IMG-2485.jpg
IMG-2486.JPG

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. Going by what my husband said, it's the top of the cylinder. I can ask him more questions, or have him post more details. The hole isn't very big, it's a bit larger than the thickness of a pencil.
LT

·
Registered
137 Posts
Would like to see a clear photo from further back to gain a perspective of precisely where this is. Could also take a pointed object to probe if it, in fact is an open hole or closed. Also could introduce some oil into the hole, see if gravity pulls it in or just stays there. It very well could be there for production purposes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would like to see a clear photo from further back to gain a perspective of precisely where this is. Could also take a pointed object to probe if it, in fact is an open hole or closed. Also could introduce some oil into the hole, see if gravity pulls it in or just stays there. It very well could be there for production purposes.
I just asked my husband to send me more photos from his phone. I believe he has some further away shots for reference. The only thing we removed was the gas tank. If you looked straight down, it was right there. I will post the photos when I get them.
Thanks for your help.
LT

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I found a photo of that part of the engine online. This is the hole, but I'm not sure what it's for or if it even really is open at the bottom of the hole (it looks like it's in front of the cylinder head cover):

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Okay, I just found another photo from underneath. It looks like it's just a hole through part of the supporting structure and doesn't really go anywhere:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sometimes holes like that are because the part is used in different configurations. You'll see a lot of mysterious things like that on the carbs. I doubt that's the case here as I don't believe the engine is used in anything else and I see no reason why the fuel injected variant would benefit from a hole in that location. AFAIK, the oxygen sensor would be placed closer to the muffler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts