Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy but I have bought a 1996 ZX9 R for my first bike. I bought this bike as a theft recovery with some parts missing. I bought a clutch kit (friction plates & steel) because they were missing and now that I've installed them my clutch lever is froze unless I open the bleed screw. Any idea why my clutch lever won't move?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
DId you bleed the clutch when you installed it? I had a similar problem when I removed the slave cylinder one time because it compeltley came apart. I had to refill with new fluid and bleed. After a few times, it started to work like a charm.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Originally posted by modcrazy
cause you bought a theft recovery bike [:M50]
theres nothing wrong with recycling, some people don't have top $ to spend, and some that do still like to tinker...

good luck and have fun tinkering hammer, and welcome to the board by the way

·
Registered
399 Posts
yea i know but theres no tellin what exactly could be wrong with those types of bikes and besides who cant afford 150-200 dollars a month for a new bike?

·
Registered
62 Posts
In addition to the $ 150 to $ 200 a month for the bike don not forget the additional $ 150 to $ 200 per month for insurance because you have to have full coverage since it is financed.

Somitimes, in a theft recovery, you can luck out and get a good bike if you are willing to put in the time. Good luck with yours. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
When you say the lever is frozen do you mean it won't budge an inch?
I'd be tempted to check you hydraulic lines to make sure they aren't blocked. If that’s ok check the master cylinder to make sure that's working. Then, if no joy strip the clutch down and make sure everything is absolutely as it should be.

It sounds like either hydraulic lock or the clutch is jammed, probably the push rod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer sent me one to many plates so after taking it out the problem got fixed. As far as theft recovery bikes go I'm a car dealer and buy everything from jet ski's to trucks (some being theft recovery's). This bike was missing the carb's and clutches. Everything else was there. When finished I will have less than a grand in a bike with 13k on the odom and this is my first sport bike.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i bought my bike at auction (mostly insurance write off's and theft recovery) and did very well out of it...

had low mileage (for a 98) akra full system, wave discs, braided lines... only need a few plastic welds, coat of paint and new levers and peg brackets. all up on the road with a years rego it cost me less than half the market value for a stock bike with higher mileage

pity ive crashed it so many times :(

·
Registered
876 Posts
Originally posted by hammer74
The dealer sent me one to many plates so after taking it out the problem got fixed. As far as theft recovery bikes go I'm a car dealer and buy everything from jet ski's to trucks (some being theft recovery's). This bike was missing the carb's and clutches. Everything else was there. When finished I will have less than a grand in a bike with 13k on the odom and this is my first sport bike.

Thanks for the help.
thats what I'm talkin about:D

I've got all of $3500 invested in that sig pic, and aside from the tail section it looks (and rides) just like an 03 (tho its a 99) how can you top that price

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.