Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on raptors & rockets:

Kawasaki has had a dual sport on offer for many years. KLR 600, KLR 650, KLE 500, KLV 650 and so on. Versys is more of a "Multistrada" than offroad and the new model is looking to cater for a new group of riders that wants something that looks and rides a little bit like a supermoto for the fun part and comfortable as a sports tourer for the commuting. Versys features the 650cc parallel twin from last years ER6 models, but with a few chassis changes. The new aluminium banana swing arm is one of the more striking features. Due to the special mounting of the rear shock we suspect the new swing arm might have been necessary to increase the rear ride height to suit the new long-stroke front suspension. Front fork is now USD and all brake discs the wavy type. The engine has been set up to respond effortlessly from all rpms. ABS is optional and the new windscreen is adjustable. Available in black, silver and orange. Versys stands for Versatile systems. We guarantee you that this model will be called by many names, Kawasaki Virus, Vyrus, Kawasaki Versus Versys. It's all too much for us...

·
Registered
452 Posts
looks like fun! it'll take a lot to get the hardcore guys off their BMW's and multistradas tho....

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think it's gay, but I'll take the exhaust. That's a nice little shorty, wonder how long it'll take someone to fab that to a sixxer.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by MRWGLO92
I think it's gay, but I'll take the exhaust. That's a nice little shorty, wonder how long it'll take someone to fab that to a sixxer.
What most people don't realize is that bikes like the one pictured above really handle very well. The same thing that makes dedicated sportbikes so "flickable" (high CG) is built into the dual sports as well.

Don't get me wrong; they won't lap Laguna Seca in record time, but they are a fun ride.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
fun ot ride is IMO better than nice to look at.

I hope they bring it at the next Americade so I can check it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't understand why more companies don't make more fun to ride naked bikes or the bigger motards. I wanted a monster but couldn't afford to insure it...2-4k a year so I picked up a 600 $547 a year instead. But I have athritic knees and between them and my right elbow sometimes I can only ride for like a hour or two before it gets to be painfull. And I'm sure alot of it has to do with riding position. Once I have 2-3 years under my belt I will be selling this for some sort of fun to ride naked bike.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Originally posted by jesse370
I don't understand why more companies don't make more fun to ride naked bikes or the bigger motards. I wanted a monster but couldn't afford to insure it...2-4k a year so I picked up a 600 $547 a year instead. But I have athritic knees and between them and my right elbow sometimes I can only ride for like a hour or two before it gets to be painfull. And I'm sure alot of it has to do with riding position. Once I have 2-3 years under my belt I will be selling this for some sort of fun to ride naked bike.
are you telling me its cheaper to insure a 636 than a ducati monster? should cost the same, you should switch insurance companies to RIDER NJ. they are the cheapest by far. http://www.njrider.com/

edit: ohh yea, about the bike, i like everything about it except the headlight/half fairing. i think they could have made it better looking. i like the swingarm, the steel swingarm was a big turn off for the 650r. i say mount a 650r fuel tank and a universal 5" round headlight and youve got a sweet looking naked bike for much less than a monster.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Kawi already has the 2007 KLR650 on the web site (unchanged). The KLR650 is a true dual-sport which (IMO) is a street-legal dirt bike. I really wish Kawi would put out a serious update to the KLR with less weight, better suspension and an upgraded (more powerful) motor.

Bikes like this new Kawi Versys, the V-Strom, Duc Multistrada, Buell Ulysses, etc are street bikes that can handle crap pavement and perhaps dirt roads, but nothing really off-road. I think the new Kawi has the litte V-Strom and the little Multistrada in its sights. Personally, I wish it was just a bit more dirt-friendly with a 19" front wheel, handguards, skid plate, and a somewhat more burly off-road style to it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
yeah I'm telling you it was cheaper to insure a 636 then a S2R monster, I tried rider, progressive, gieco, and landed with statefarm. I think to most insurance companies any bike with ducati in it with no experience and it is super expensive. But I priced it out through rider and they were the cheapest at 2k a year. 25 male clean record. Seems that at least in jersey they look at engine size first and not what type of bike it is......so I got my 636 and I love it and ride well in the relm of sanity and I'm learning and putting miles under my belt and as soon as I hit 2 years I think I will trade this in on a duc...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Originally posted by jesse370

ooo!! OOOO!!!! I know!!!
They dont make them because nobody buys them. Nakeds just dont sell in north america. Europe is another story, they have so many more nakeds over there that we dont get here. Believe me, if there were big $$ to me made in the north american naked market, all the big companies would be all over that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.