Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I don't know if this BULLSH*T is only in Florida, but just thought you should be aware:

ADVISORY BULLETIN
Florida Association of Court Clerks/Comptrollers

REF: HB 137 (ch. 2008-117, Laws of Florida) DATE: August 20, 2008 NO: 08-058

FILE NO. F02-008-080820-01 TELEPHONE: (850) 921-0808 CONTACT: B. Allman PAGE 1 OF 1

Effective October 1, 2008, HB 137 revises the traffic laws to create a few more penalties. This short bill was particularly focused on unsafe motorcycle activities, but it does include a provision for excessive speed. The new law also provides penalties for the first, second, third or subsequent violations. The Distribution Chart found on the FACC website will be updated to reflect the amounts for the first and second offenses in the Traffic section. The third and subsequent offense is classified as a third degree felony with a $5,000 fine and will appear in the Criminal Traffic section of the chart.

New Violations:
316.2085(2) Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with ground
This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person's driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.
(new entries for Distribution Chart-see below)

316.2085(3) Motorcycle or moped license tag improperly affixed
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person's driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

316.1926 (2) A person who exceeds the speed limit in excess of 50 mph or more in violation of ss.
316.183(2) (posted speeds), 316.187(state speed zones), or 316.189 (municipal and county speeds)
First Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $1,000 plus court costs.
Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500 plus court costs and the driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
wow...Florida hates bikes...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wow and I was just thinking to move back to Miami from Ga ....... I think I will move to California instead.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
well thats a simple fix, obey the fucking laws & if you don't the "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" i don't blame anyone but myself for tickets, if i get one i don't bitch i just hand it to my lawyer & say here's another BMW payment ;) the only one i see thats a bit excessive would be the license plate deal, the rest are pretty much cut throat that you should be able to follow & not bitch about it

·
Registered
326 Posts
to me it's targeting one class of vehicles over others. as for stunting on public roads, it's just dumb and the penalties s/b stiff. For speeding, why should it be different for MC's than cars? And the license plate thing... just giving the cops more excuse to hassle. I am going to court for a tucked plate myself in a couple of weeks and yet another court appearance for no inspection sticker (I explained to the cop that my license plate which had the sticker attached had fallen off - gave me one anyway). "fix it" tickets. Did I mention I don't like cops much.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
That would be what I call EXTREME...

1. I get a $1000 ticket for doing a wheelie? WTF If you don't think that's extreme I don't know what to tell you.

2. I get a $1000 ticket for not having my license plate where you want it? WTF... Give me a fix it ticket

3. I get a $1000 ticket for speeding over 50 mph over the speed limiit. I don't like this one, but i can understand it... $1000 is high but 50 mph over is high also :(

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
There are too many dumb asses out there that make laws like these appear. If you put your license plate on the right way you won't have to worry about a $1000 ticket. The same with doing 50mph over the limit. Nobody just does 100mph in a 50mph zone etc.. and then comes back with the "I didn't notice I was going that fast" excuse. Florida is just saying in other words that they had enough with motorcyclists down there that don't obey some simple laws.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
to me it's targeting one class of vehicles over others. as for stunting on public roads, it's just dumb and the penalties s/b stiff. For speeding, why should it be different for MC's than cars?
in FL if you are going over 20 the speed limit in a car the cop can charge you with a fellony called "criminal speed" they can impound your car auction it off and revoke your lisense. i assume that its the same for bikes so i don't really know why they are bothering with this additional speeding law for bikes but its really a moot point. there is no reason anyone should be doing 50 over the speed limit ever, save that shit for the track.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Having the same penalty for improperly affixed tag and stunt riding is excessive to say the least. Florida sucks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
316.2085(3) Motorcycle or moped license tag improperly affixed
Im agreeing with most people, dont break the laws and its not your problem. 50+ over the speed limit. stupid. stunting on the highway, not the smartest thing to do. but what the hell is up with the tag violation. how is that a moving violation? and those fines a little rediculous for an improperly mounted tag. now everyone with a tag light out is gonna have to pay a grand, get points, etc. i hate florida more every day. im going to st. louis or something.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
nothing but a "behavior tax"
the "law" is NOT concerned anymore with our safety or our rights
only about control and the enslavement of the freeman.

EX war on drugs-filling up the prisons with mandatory sentances while the violent criminals are set free with minimum sentances due to "overcrowding"

prison is the new "slavery"

its only going to get worse, when the direction the leaders of this country becomes different than what the population wants, the means to suppress the population is already established and put in place in the name of security and safety.

the New World Order is beating down the door.

·
Registered
403 Posts

EX war on drugs-filling up the prisons with mandatory sentances while the violent criminals are set free with minimum sentances due to "overcrowding"

its only going to get worse, when the direction the leaders of this country becomes different than what the population wants, the means to suppress the population is already established and put in place in the name of security and safety.

lol

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The wheelie law is excessive but i sorta understand it.. For the long wheelies yea, but for a quick power wheelie on a liter, i hope they dont enforce these laws to the T.

I heard that almost all f.e. kits are illegal. I can see $1000 for the 2nd offense, but for the first???

About the 50mph over i can understand that too. Seriously don't think i've been 50mph over much. The few times i have the need to open it up some, its on a back road for only a few secs anyway.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Florida loves bikes it just hates fucking dumbasses

There is literally no need for anyone to worry about any of these things unless acting like complete tools
well thats a simple fix, obey the fucking laws & if you don't the "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" i don't blame anyone but myself for tickets, if i get one i don't bitch i just hand it to my lawyer & say here's another BMW payment ;) the only one i see thats a bit excessive would be the license plate deal, the rest are pretty much cut throat that you should be able to follow & not bitch about it
There are too many dumb asses out there that make laws like these appear. If you put your license plate on the right way you won't have to worry about a $1000 ticket. The same with doing 50mph over the limit. Nobody just does 100mph in a 50mph zone etc.. and then comes back with the "I didn't notice I was going that fast" excuse. Florida is just saying in other words that they had enough with motorcyclists down there that don't obey some simple laws.
+1, +1, +1

:Laughing rolling:

By NWO, do you mean Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Big Poppa Pump and the rest of the gang??

--David

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Of course the law is unfair and excessive but what do you expect when there are so many asshats on the road?

We all know that talking on your cell phone is infinitely more dangerous than doing 150mph at 2am when no one else is around but it doesn't matter. We are our own worst enemies in the eyes of the non-riding public.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts