Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My name is Tony...I always thought that motorcycles were dangerous, and deadly. Until i test drove my friend's R6 in a Starbucks parking lot. Since then I was hooked ! I took a class got my license and ended up buying an 05 Kawi 636 around the end of March 2011. I love my bike, but having some mechanical problems with it. I refer to this forum a lot. So i thought i might as well join.

since i got it i put a set of 10K hids / bright red LED underglow kit/ changed the front brake pads on both sides EBC pads /changed spark plugs NGK CR9E/ Cleaned and refiled my K&N air filter.

I've noticed that i have some sort of heavy vibration to the whole bike when ever the clutch is engaged and its running around 5k-8k RPM (this was not happening when i first purchased the bike). I was told by many that it might be the tire pressure but i always maintain my air to 36 psi front / 41 rear. ( I currently have a hole in my rear tire which i plugged with a patch kit...i rarely ride it..waiting on a new set of tires )

I've also noticed that it takes a lot longer now to red line some of my gear ( for example I would red line 1st, shift to 2nd and it would stop accelerating faster around 10k-11k rpm..takes a lot longer for the red line approach light to come on as well)...Im currently thinking about changing my clutch. Im not sure what might cause this problem but it sure is pissing me off :mad: !

I would really appreciate some positive feedback / possible solutions to the problems im having with the bike.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Tire pressure isn't going to cause vibration. Tires out of balance can do that, as well as steering head nut loose, warped rotors, and such things. Is this vibration going on as you're cruising at speed going 5-8000 rpm?

As far as your acceleration issue, I was gonna suggest new plugs, but you said you already changed them. Clutch might be slipping, but I'm not for sure, sorry. Someone will pop up with more info I'm sure. There are a lot of smart dudes on this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry,

The vibration does continue at cruise...The vibration only occurs when the clutch is engaged. If i grab hold of the clutch and disengage it the vibration goes away. This is mainly happening to the handle bars, and seats.

For the acceleration problem...my next step is to change the clutch plates.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
A lot of bikes vibrate in certain rpm ranges, so this may not be an actual issue. You said earlier though that this hasn't always been happening. Hmm.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Motorcycles are deadly and dangerous, never forget that.

Sounds like something is amiss (literally) with the motor. Could be plugs, coils, injectors, plugged air filter, or something of that nature. I know you said you already changed some of those things. How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Could be that too.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Yeah, I have had bad wheel bearings that didn't feel like you would think they would.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
We have a section for questions on the 05/06 bikes. You may want to search there for an answer.

:welcome:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Milage was 8400 when i bought it....now im up to 12k. i thought it was the plugs so i changed them and i cleaned the air filter and refilled it with the prefered K&N refill kit. Im probably going to end up taking it to a mechanic...hopefully it can be something that i can fix on my own. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for all the suggestions !

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Tire pressure isn't going to cause vibration. Tires out of balance can do that, as well as steering head nut loose, warped rotors, and such things. Is this vibration going on as you're cruising at speed going 5-8000 rpm?

As far as your acceleration issue, I was gonna suggest new plugs, but you said you already changed them. Clutch might be slipping, but I'm not for sure, sorry. Someone will pop up with more info I'm sure. There are a lot of smart dudes on this forum.
:squint:

Definitely sounds like the bearings are out somewhere. Since you say it stops when you disengage the clutch, start there. Might be those bearings, or just that your clutch is all fooked up and needs some attention. By attention I mean replacing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im going to get the plates and bearings checked out....if this is indeed the problem than im not gonna try to to fix it myself...i'd rather have it professionally installed. Unless its not that big of a hassle. I was also told that K&N filters are bad...they let in way too much air ? not sure of this is true or not.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
Searching this forum will net you a wealth of knowledge that may not be rehashed with every new thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright quick update i put new tires on my bike...took somewhat most of the vibration away. How ever i was told by the mechanic that my cam chain is coming loose. I recently started hearing this rattling/ clicking noise so i know its the cam chain. I also wanted to know if it being a lil loose how bad can it affect performance ? on a scale of 1 - 10 ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts