Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just joined up as know I'm likely to be needing some advice...

Background, I'm a car mechanic that has done a few jobs for family and friends with bikes (not really worked with bikes since I was 18, now close to 40 馃槀) but have done a few jobs on CBR, RF and recently restored a little ped for my stepson that had been a non starter for 4 years so the car side has helped a lot so far!

My mate has a zzr 600 that has just been dropped off to me to look at, I know it is a non starter, it stalled then wouldn't restart but had a number of issues in the build up and has led to burnt out wires so my plan is to strip it back and rebuild or replace the loom then take a look at what's going on with the starting issue so I'll no doubt be reading a lot and asking a few questions along the way so if any one has any places that are known trouble areas for non start... I'm sure it's no spark at the moment, please feel free to send them my way so I got places to start looking straight away... My first point of call after the wiring is to check coils and CDI but also reading about the resistor in the ignition which I'm suspect of as I know a previous guy had to short the ignition to get the lights to come in so I'm suspeithe resistor is knackered, if I'm right in thinking it's designed to stop hot wiring the bike?

Looking forward to seeing if I can bring the bike back to life.

Registered
First concern would be which components are associated with the Wiring that has Burnt out and exactly why they did in the first instance.
I think some Pictures would be something we could all enjoy :geek:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First concern would be which components are associated with the Wiring that has Burnt out and exactly why they did in the first instance.
I think some Pictures would be something we could all enjoy :geek:
Pictures will definitely be coming as I get started with it as I'll be needing to keep note of what I remove and where it goes as I'll be working on cars in between the bike as well. I've managed to move the bike into the garden and noticed there's no lights on the display at all so put a booster pack on as more likely a flat battery but still no lights so they ignition switch is definitely being checked after the wiring.

I've not looked at the wiring in quite a while but I'm almost certain it was part of the main loom, closer to the ignition that was burnt out but the bike was passed onto someone else to look at who left it stood until he admitted electrics scare him which is why it's come to me. No doubt as I start taking things apart, I'll do a fresh post of what I'm up against and as I progress so any help can all be in one place, there was talks from the other guy that had the bike of the CDI unit being burnt out but not sure if that would kill all the electrics completely as the ped I recently restored had damaged wiring at the CDI but all electrics still work except for spark..... Being away from bikes for so long means re learning how each component works.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum , I would start at the stator / pulse gennerator - pickup coil ...
Thank you, I'll be tracing all the wires back to each individual component to check for damages, once I know there's a fixed/replaced loom then I'll start testing areas.... I'll be checking how to test things as I get to them as I first need to get power and when turning the ignition

Registered
Which model year is that ZZ-R600? I have a lousy Haynes manual and neither the D nor E models have the coils fed through a resistor. The line feeding them comes straight from the kill switch. The green or black wires go directly to the IC igniter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which model year is that ZZ-R600? I have a lousy Haynes manual and neither the D nor E models have the coils fed through a resistor. The line feeding them comes straight from the kill switch. The green or black wires go directly to the IC igniter.
Any luck ??? Maybe go to Manualslib.com for a PDF version of service manual ....
The bike is a 97 R reg, so I believe it's E5. A member has sent me a few links to the manual on my other post but had no idea that the coils are fed from the kill switch... The area with the burnt out wires on the blue wires so when I manage get the switch off the bars, I can inspect inside, the screws in the casing have been chewed and not had a lot of time today to do anything and now have my car to do over the next few days

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will check out later when I am back home on the corresponding service manual and let you know how exactly the coils are fed on the '97.
Thank you, any and all help will be appreciated! I'm leaving the bike alone for a few days as have to do some work on my car but once that's done, I'll be putting a lot of my free time into the bike, hopefully as of Monday if the car work goes straight forward but always 1 snapped bolt away from a whole weeks worth of work haha

Registered
Well, just checked out the diagram and the coils on the '97 are fed straight from the kill switch. Worth noting, if the bike is a 97 then it is not a ZZ-R. That initially led to confusion. Ignition coil feeding did not change though.
keep us posted about your progress.

Registered
No, it is not. that would be the case with magneto ignition. The kill switch is just a normal On-Off switch, allowing +12V to reach the coils (and other electrical stuff) or not.

Registered
Yes, I forgot about that. But anyway, the CDI and the magneto both run under fairly the same principle, in the way that they both get their energy from an exciter coil, and its output is what you ground to kill the ignition.

Registered
No , ... , you ground the coil . Sending the ignition spark to ground instead of spark plug ....
So, you are saying that the engine stop wire and switch are handling high voltage potential? Lol I know that if you have read what you wrote just once you would have noticed that this concept couldn麓t be possible. I also don麓t know how this debate is helping the O.P. with the issue on his friend麓s bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, just checked out the diagram and the coils on the '97 are fed straight from the kill switch. Worth noting, if the bike is a 97 then it is not a ZZ-R. That initially led to confusion. Ignition coil feeding did not change though.
keep us posted about your progress.
Thank you for the info! Someone had mentioned the kill switch feeds the coils and as there's burnt wires on the switch, that is one of my first targets to remove, the switch is unplugged at the moment but have to drill one of the bolts out but the bike is currently on hold til next week as have my car's engine in bits at the moment as well which I've estimated to be finished over the weekend then I can concentrate on the bike a lot more. I have made another post in the ZZR 600 section which I will be updating as I go along but have told the owner about the great response I've gotbon here so far and he's now looking forward to seeing if I can get some sort of life back into the bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts