·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:welcome:

Good luck with your search

Have you looked into gear yet?

ride safe, wear your gear, have fun
I havn't looked in depth into gear just yet, I definitly will start off with an expensive helment (higher $$ more saftey right?), jacket.. (Whats some of the better quality jackets that will still allow some air flow, I live in TX and its been 90-105 this past summer every single day so air flow is important, and a decent set of gloves.

I'm not sure if boots are necessary but I'm open to any explanations on this. I'm almost always going to be wearing gear once i get my bike cause im such a novice and most likely will fall a few times.

Thanks-

Ps im a guy, thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
A more expensive helmet does not mean a safer helmet. You are better off saving some money and buying a $150 helmet over a $600 helmet and spending the remaining money on good gloves, a good jacket, pants, and boots.

I consider boots a must after I broke my ankle riding in work boots. This is what I wear every time I ride my sport bike:

Mine are blue, but yes, boots are important. So are gauntlet gloves that go past the wrist, a padded jacket, and padded pants. The better gear you wear, the better off you are when you hit the ground.

Reactions: bubbleboys

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
As much of an Arai fanboy I am, just because a helmet is more expensive doesn't mean it offers more protection than a cheaper helmet. Even in terms of certain accidents, a cheap DOT certified helmet will probably protect me more than my expensive snell-certified helmet (low speeds come to mind).

You'll have to rely on other members of the board for non-Arai recommendations as I've never bothered to look at any other helmet besides Arai and Shoei.

I'm also big on leather and it's undisputed that leather will provide the most protection. However, given that you're in Texas 90-105, and the Northeast is in the midst of a terrible heatwave, I can sympathize with suggesting textile. If it gets much hotter, I may very well start recommending mesh :lol:

Since you're in Texas, I'm going to suggest looking into textile just because wearing leather gear and dying from dehydration or heat stroke is much worse than wearing textile and not getting heat stroke.

Look at this thread as to why you should wear boots
http://www.kawiforums.com/newbie-corner/116620-new-rider-crash-amputee-please-read.html
While it's not guaranteed that boots would've saved this guy's foot and IIRC, the guy was riding like an asshat when it happened anyway but all the same, I hope you don't, but you might one day wake up in the ICU and some doctor is going to tell you your foot is fucked up but they'll be able to save it because of your boots.

All this gear may seem a bit overwhelming and overkill but I guarantee you'll appreciate all the gear you've been wearing when you go down (yes, when; in a lifetime of riding, you will probably go down at least once or twice, regardless of how carefully or skillfully you ride).

Just remember
Dress for crash, not the ride.

In short:
  • Cheaper helmet is fine, I still like Snell ratings personally but that's a huge matter of debate.
  • Gauntlet gloves
  • Full length motorcycle boots
  • Jacket, given your heat, I might suggest textile just because of heat stroke

Additional items you may want to add later or even now, in order of importance IMO
Pants of some sort (overpants or leather track pants)
Spine protector
After that, it's really just upgrading your gear. I've been meaning to look into the airbag neck protectors but I've been lazy. Last time I did some real research on it, a few years ago, it was still in the development stage and hadn't been perfected.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I have an AGV Hybrid mesh/perforated leather that is as cool as a t-shirt, and still offers decent protection. It has leather in all the high contact areas, and armor in the elbows and back. I don't wear it much, but if it gets too hot for me to wear my leathers that's what I go to.

·
Registered
329 Posts
MSF is a must.

HJC and Scorpion makes some decent helmets on the cheap. I wear a Scorpion textile jacket and Tourmaster overpants for breathability and water resistance. As for gaunts and boots, I'd go with Komodo Gear if money is tight. You can get both for a little less than $200 if you go to their site. All-in-all, the stuff I mentioned above should run you at around $450 if you look around.

·
13,060 Posts
I have an AGV Hybrid mesh/perforated leather that is as cool as a t-shirt, and still offers decent protection. It has leather in all the high contact areas, and armor in the elbows and back. I don't wear it much, but if it gets too hot for me to wear my leathers that's what I go to.
Sounds good, do you know the name of it?

MSF is a must.

HJC and Scorpion makes some decent helmets on the cheap. I wear a Scorpion textile jacket and Tourmaster overpants for breathability and water resistance. As for gaunts and boots, I'd go with Komodo Gear if money is tight. You can get both for a little less than $200 if you go to their site. All-in-all, the stuff I mentioned above should run you at around $450 if you look around.
Completely forgot about the MSF.

Komodo stuff seems pretty good and I've seen a few of their one-pieces at the track. Given the price, not bad IMO.

·
13,060 Posts

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I actually picked mine up on ebay on a clearance deal, I guess there was a fire at the warehouse so a lot of stuff was being sold dirt cheap. I paid like $60 for it, and it came in a sealed plastic bag, so the jacket itself was completely fine.

If you look around you might be able to find someone who makes something like jacket. It's nice to have something to wear when it's hot that doesn't give up too much crash protection.

·
13,060 Posts
I actually picked mine up on ebay on a clearance deal, I guess there was a fire at the warehouse so a lot of stuff was being sold dirt cheap. I paid like $60 for it, and it came in a sealed plastic bag, so the jacket itself was completely fine.

If you look around you might be able to find someone who makes something like jacket. It's nice to have something to wear when it's hot that doesn't give up too much crash protection.
Yeah, I've been disappointed on more than one occassion when I'll gear up in everything, ride out 5 minutes, and I'll just head back to take the cage instead because I would've gotten heat stroke and/or dehydration before I got to my destination.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts