Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a rear view camera system on my bike. I have a 2.5" screen, and color night vision camera. It works great!

·
Registered
543 Posts
uh....rearview camera? where you gonna fit the cup holder, compass and GPS?
ok, seriously can you see that weel while riding?
anth

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That guy has the same monitor as me! (or, I have the same monitor as him). As far as rocks and debris, I'm going to put my rear tire guard back on. Other than that, I'm not worried because the camera I used is very small.

Lol, I haven't put the cupholder in yet, but I did install a dvd player in the rear seat!

The camera has a clear view over the tire and under the license plate. I don't see any parts of the bike.

P.S. I am joking about the dvd player. I wouldn't do such a stupid thing... Or would I?

No, I wouldn't. [8D]

·
Registered
762 Posts
if you dont mind me asking, how much did this project cost you?

and might you be able to give us links to what you bought?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im interested in the camera type and hook-up details (for recording).

Just be sure and don't target fixate on what's going on behind you!

·
Registered
116 Posts
okay well I think it is sweet and i give you props for putting electronics all over bikes. i'd move the camera over to the side, but it won't hurt it if a little rock hit it (probably), if huge rocks got flung up by our tires, lisence plates and undertail plastic would always get scratched / dented / cracked. which it usually doesn't.

no do the radar detector
http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62507

·
Registered
264 Posts
[:CantSeeShit]
I'd love a rear camera setup, I hate moving to see in the mirrors if there's a cop behind me when i'm tucking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The camera I had, but you can get any 12V camera. If you don't get a reverse image camera, then you need to get a unit that reverses the image (~ $30). Cameras run about $60 - $150.

The monitor I got from ebay. The sellers name is "cooleyes". He sells 2.5" monitors from Hong Kong (but he is located in Sacramento), and he has good prices.

The device I use to record everything is a portable dvr. check ebay auction - 270003237218 and 260003337565 for a different type.

Of course, you will need some video wires, (inexpensive), and power supplies (they come with the camera and monitor). Just cut the wire for the power supplies, and hard wire them in. I had to solder more wire to extend the length, just so you know.

The entire projet took me about 2 hours. It was pretty quick, but I've been doing this stuff on cars for a long time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 more thing. This is a great mod, and it works wonders during the day, but due to the location of the camera (in the direct line of headlights), all you see at night is a bright white screen. There are some controls and adjustments on the monitor, but it doesn't help. I can sort of tell where the headlights are, and if they are directly behind me, far behind, to my side... but before changing lanes, I still check my blind spots and check to see if the road is lit up next to me.

That is the ONLY downfall to this mod. Although, with no cars behind me, the nightvision does work pretty well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you can find a way to connect video to the monitor. That would be very cool though! There was a post I saw where someone hooked up a lilliput touch screen monitor with gps on his bike. He didn't have speed, tach, or any other info though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.