Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on my new Muzzy slip on yesterday for my 636. The sound is great...I don't feel any power difference, but I didn't expect one. The question I have is before I put it on, when the motor was cold I had to choke it. It is usually always 80 here. When I put on the new pipe, now it fires right up without the choke. Is this OK/normal[?]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i think you ar fine if it was carburated bike....you might have been running alittle rich before...causing the need for choke....which I believe allow the bike to mix better...

wait, but isn't the 03 FI? then it wouldn't use a "choke" per say as a carburated bike would....

maybe someone else can help you since it's fuel injected, or maybe I'm still right...

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah, I'm confused to... his profile says USA but he must of bought the 02 somewhere other than US, since he says he has a choke. 03 are FI but there is no choke lever eh?

·
Registered
303 Posts
The '03s are FI but they still have a "choke" lever. It's not really a choke lever but more of a fast idle lever. Not sure about how the exhaust would affect startup. Maybe the reduced backpressure eases the load off the engine at idle negating the need to "choke" the engine.

-2000 ZX-6R.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
sirignano,

Interesting about needing the choke, I live in Haiku and have never needed to. I read your post about getting your oil changed at the dealer, you should ask them about it because last week I called and tried to buy aN oil filter for my bike and they said they have never had them and didn't even know there was a different part number. I bet they didn't change your filter on your service. I have been changing my oil but not the filter. My "special order" filters are comming in tomorrow at kawasaki. I don't trust the dealer.

LUV2SURF
2003 636 BLACK

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They changed the filter. I was going to buy 2 extra, but ran out of $. Also, which dealer...I'm on Oahu. As far as the "choke" It wouldn't start without using it after sitting for a while before I put on the new exhaust. Now I haven't used it since.
Originally posted by LUV2SURF

sirignano,

Interesting about needing the choke, I live in Haiku and have never needed to. I read your post about getting your oil changed at the dealer, you should ask them about it because last week I called and tried to buy aN oil filter for my bike and they said they have never had them and didn't even know there was a different part number. I bet they didn't change your filter on your service. I have been changing my oil but not the filter. My "special order" filters are comming in tomorrow at kawasaki. I don't trust the dealer.

LUV2SURF
2003 636 BLACK

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sirignano,

I am on Maui, and I had to buy a filter from an oahu dealer. I will start calling the "choke" lever the idle control lever.

I live at an altitude of 2000 ft and have never needed to touch the idle control lever. I also work at sea level and have not had to touch the idle lever. I wonder if this means there are significant differences from bike to bike? Anyone have any ideas as to why the muzzy exhaust made a difference? The air/fuel mixture is computer controlled so I wouldn't think and exhaust would change anything.

LUV2SURF
2003 636

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.