Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Eric here. Got my license last year and just bought a 2011 Ninja 250R. I had actually planned to buy something used to learn on, but one thing led to another, now I hope I don't have to worry about repairs, etc. Anyway, it is kind of a small bike I think (engine-wise), but I am proud of it and love riding it, more and more every time.

Does anyone else have the problem of it sputtering a little on take-off at times? I thought it was me, or maybe I wasn't letting it warm up enough. I found another post that says to make sure you let it warm up 3 - 5 minutes, so I'm doing that. I turned the idle up and it would warm up quickly to over 4,000 rpms, so I just turned the idle down a little to see if that stops that, which it seems to. But even when the idle was way up, it was still sputtering. Maybe I'm not rolling on the throttle enough or maybe letting the clutch out too quickly? Any advice?

Thanks!
Eric in Chicago

·
Registered
38 Posts
My suggestion ? may not be the most helpful, but I started off on a 2010 250r ... great bike... Anyway, I joined the ninjette.org forum... and found it to be, hands down the best site for any of your 250R concerns... The 250R guru on that site is KKIM... if you run it by him... he'll have the answers you need...

My guess would have been an issue of properly warming it up... 3-5 minutes is usually enough time... but just in case i usually give the gas a quick twist.. if it starts sputtering I know it needs some more time...

Heres the thing... There were a few occasions where I'd be out riding, engines warmed up plenty.. probably some 30-45 minutes into a ride when I'd come to a light or stop sign... When It would be my turn to go I'd given it gas and start accelerating when it would suddenly lose power and sputter... after that happened a few times on separate occasions, I just stuck with using more gas on accelerating and riding the clutch a tad longer... seemed to help... didnt happen to me anymore after that...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts