Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've just bought an 07 zx6r used and it didn't come with a manual so I have a couple questions hopefully you experts out there can help me out.

First question: Is there a reserve switch for the fuel tank? I've been looking but can't seem to find it.

2. Is the jumper mod accessible under the seat cowl or under the front seat? Do I have to take the fairing out to get to it? I don't need the extra power but would love to have my baby scream a lil louder.

3. Will I have to cut my stand if I drop her 1 inch in the front and 2 inches in the back?

4. I can change the rear and lower it myself but I've never worked on a bike before, should I just cough up $200 to get it done at the local shop?

5. The last owner stripped the screw holes that clip my rear fairing under my seat cowl in place. What's the fix for that?

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions but I'll stick with these few for now.

Thanks in advanced ninjas!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Hi there, I've just bought an 07 zx6r used and it didn't come with a manual so I have a couple questions hopefully you experts out there can help me out.

First question: Is there a reserve switch for the fuel tank? I've been looking but can't seem to find it.

2. Is the jumper mod accessible under the seat cowl or under the front seat? Do I have to take the fairing out to get to it? I don't need the extra power but would love to have my baby scream a lil louder.

3. Will I have to cut my stand if I drop her 1 inch in the front and 2 inches in the back?

4. I can change the rear and lower it myself but I've never worked on a bike before, should I just cough up $200 to get it done at the local shop?

5. The last owner stripped the screw holes that clip my rear fairing under my seat cowl in place. What's the fix for that?

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions but I'll stick with these few for now.

Thanks in advanced ninjas!
1. No

2. no sound difference with jumper mod. and you just take off the black plastics by the seat and then you're seat. make sure you read the DIY carefully because a couple have rushed and fucked up their bikes

3. Cut or bend probably

4. debatable, why are you lowering it in the first place? short guy or want that look?

5. hmmmmm....I'll let someone else take that one lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 5'8...so yea, short guy, my lil brother's even shorter than me and he rides sometimes. Wouldn't drop her if I didn't need to but hurts me after long rides.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Why does it hurt after long rides? You can reach the pegs at 5'8 right? Lowering the bike won't change the relationship of your body to the clipons, pegs, or seat. People lower either for straight line racing or because they freak about having both feet down at stops, which is unnecessary. I'm six feet so I don't really have to worry about it but I know some seriously short guys well below what you are and they do the one foot thing. Just hold your right foot on the back brake and you'll be fine. That's what I do anyway. You're more stable that way and you can flash your brake light when cars approach. Of course sometimes you may have to modify that based on the terrain, but it's all common sense.

Is your brother shorter than you? Is he experienced? If he's experienced I'm sure he'll be fine, the seat actually isn't too tall at all compared to some other bikes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No its not that, the position while I'm riding is great, its just when I stop I'm on my tip toes and getting stuck at a 4 way stop sign kills my calves. And well, my brother's 5'6 and he dropped my bike the other day because he's seriously on his tip toes when he stops. Bikes a lil too heavy for him relative to his height so I'm worried he'll break something worse than my brake pedal next time. He's not very experienced on bikes but he's like a turtle on my bike so I dont have a problem with him getting some hours on my baby. I found some adjustable links if my ride and turning suffers too much which I doubt anyways.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Hmmm....yeah personally I'd just try to get more used to it and do the one foot thing, even in traffic or stops you can manage it.

But if you really have your heart set on getting it lower you should probably have the shop do it. With something as important as the suspension you don't want to make a mistake and have your bike unsafe, especially if your bro is riding it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 5'8...so yea, short guy, my lil brother's even shorter than me and he rides sometimes. Wouldn't drop her if I didn't need to but hurts me after long rides.
what the heck im 5'5 and i just do fine. when i wear boots im even better... LOL:Laughing rolling:. i heard when u lower it you lose handling. if you like the twisties leave it but again... u pay for it so do whatever u want.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No its not that, the position while I'm riding is great, its just when I stop I'm on my tip toes and getting stuck at a 4 way stop sign kills my calves. And well, my brother's 5'6 and he dropped my bike the other day because he's seriously on his tip toes when he stops. Bikes a lil too heavy for him relative to his height so I'm worried he'll break something worse than my brake pedal next time. He's not very experienced on bikes but he's like a turtle on my bike so I dont have a problem with him getting some hours on my baby. I found some adjustable links if my ride and turning suffers too much which I doubt anyways.
Just to clarify the "one foot" method just requires you to lean the bike over a bit to whatever side is more comfortable, i'm 6'1" and i still only put one foot down most of the time...about the stripped screw holes, if its the screws that are stripped buy a screw extraction kit from sears, home depot, etc... if its the "holes" there just rubber pieces holding a metal nut, i'm sure you can get your local shot to order you one.....invest in some frame sliders it will save you $$$ if your bike ever gets dropped again....good luck ride safe

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Exactly...no need to do 2 feet unless it's a windy day or your doubling a person...I find it just easier and quicker to use 1 foot. Red lights only last like 2 min max on a busy rush hour road anyways...
Just to clarify the "one foot" method just requires you to lean the bike over a bit to whatever side is more comfortable, i'm 6'1" and i still only put one foot down most of the time...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah!! the slider is a must in my book, well if it's a newer bike anyhoo. guess i'll leave it alone for a bit more and try a few more poses and such.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I always lean to one side anyways and its fine for me. Me personally I would leave her alone but until my bro gets his own ride he'll be takin my 6r out once in a while. Frame sliders are a must no matter what and I already have them. But since we're on the subject, when my 6r got dropped, it stripped the alluminum post that the sliders screw into. I tried HD and Lowes to find a longer screw but they didn't have anything that fits. Any ideas on how to tighten up that screw? It's in place now but I cant screw it on tight. I'm afraid if I drop her at high speed it'll just come right off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another alternative to lowering your bike is to shave your seat. The seat will actually feels more comfortable after you shaved it. There is a how-to section on here for that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts