Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Harley Davidson XL1200c. 1999 custom Honda cmx250. 1997 zx600e
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and also new to Kawasaki sportbikes. My name is Shawn. I grew up riding but did not at all in my 20's as I was in the car racing scene and NY isn't the kindest state for riding. I now live in TX and have started riding again. In the past 2 years I've rebuilt/ customized 4 bikes including an 90 FZR600 and my baby a 08 HD xl1200c. The HD is a full stage 4 with 90ci bore kit, cams, lifters, springs, fuel management system..... list goes on. Presently I am building a 99 Rebel and and just go my hands on a 97 ZX6 with 800 original miles. Its been sitting in a barn for 23 years collecting dust and being used as leaning post. During the tear down in made a few discoveries. Pistons are 60mm, cams have been reground, oh yeah and a Turbo charger!!! Its from a 82 xj650. I am in the process of going through it from bottom up. Compression is between 172 and 176 in all cylinders And with a little luck my oven temperature sensor will arrive today as of i can start to powder coat and re assemble the engine. Today I am modifying the sub frame for a tail swap from a ex250r and I am combining the front fairing from the ex into the original to support more modern head light all overall look. If anyone needs anything let me know. Only question I have is what is the purpose of the reed valves and if anything I believe these are absolutely useless.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Welcome :)

Reed valves are kinda crude - simplistic as a concept and not extremely accurate but they've worked well for years and without costing too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what reed valves do on a 2 stroke but from the research I've done on these high reving 4 strokes the system is different and they are for emissions control. Ive also scene many block off plates for sale. Has anyone done this and is there any performance benefit?. Ive added a dew pictures of my bikes progress
20200813_185052.jpg
20200813_185124.jpg

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Yes, the reed valves are part of the PAIR system (for emissions control). They add air to the exhaust to burn off unburnt fuel in the exhaust. You can install block off plates, and jumper the connector on the wiring harness with a 150 ohm resistor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just realized thst I typed 60mm. The pistons were 70mm** I just finished polishing the frame and I'm debating whether I do a ceramic or powder coat. I've finally got my oven up and going. I think im going to go with a candy blueish/teal fram, fork ends and swing arm and silver body. Small powder coated details in a candy kawi green. This is closest i could find for a reference . Anyone have any input or suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts