Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just saying whats up to everyone! i just picked up an'03 z1000. been wanting one forever it seems so i'm stoked to finally have one.... it's orange, has 7500 miles, bar end mirrors, and muzzy pipes. anyways, everything is great on it except it runs kinda choppy until it hits about 3000 rpm's or so. you kinda gotta overrev it a bit to get it moving from a stop without stalling. is this because it needs to be re-mapped? i hope i can figure this out soon, it makes the bike a real turd to ride around town. is a power commander the answer? :dunno: thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yea these bikes have always been a bit fluffy below 3k and when you start tweaking things like the exhaust it sometimes makes it worse. I would definitely start with a power commander and see where that takes you. You might want to check to see if the throttle bodies are in sync or not too.

And we all know that orange is the best color, right?

=-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
did the person you bought it from tell you about any problems they might have had before they sold it to you?

Orange is by far the way to go!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no he didn't.... i just figured the bike was cold, but after riding 60 miles home on the freeway it still did it. i'm thinking of putting the stock pipes on and seeing if it runs smoother. see if the pipes are even the cause for the choppy-ness.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats and enjoy your new ride. You might need to get a PC3 and remap to smooth it out. What's the rpm at idle? If it's below 1K, try setting the idle at 1100 rpm. (the owners manual says the idle should bet set at 1050-1150).

BTW, Orange looks great, but we all know go green or go home. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it idles right around 1100 so i think thats ok. PCIII is in the near future. and i wasn't picky between green or orange just as long as it wasn't black! i love the wild colors! goes againt everything else in my life tho. haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
Probably a PC3 will help smooth out your new ride. FWIW, I have a PC3 and the bike runs fine, but I rarely go below 3500 rpms when riding...I feel like I'm lugging the engine. I usually stay at 4K when riding around town, city streets.

Congrats again and enjoy your new ride. :cheers-004:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts