Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Nice bike man.. looks clean. Whats the symbol on the fairing mean? If you did spray it what sort of prep work was needed on the plastics?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looking nice! now I do love the blue.. but that is a nice paint! love the windscreen!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice bike man.. looks clean. Whats the symbol on the fairing mean? If you did spray it what sort of prep work was needed on the plastics?
The symbol means "Pure". Prep work was brutal (as usual) and consisted of me using an electric sander to sand all the plastics down to plastic (in hindsight this probably wouldn't have been neccessary,but I was worried about cracking). On the tank though, I left a layer and sealed then primed everything with polyester highbuild. Then I wetsanded everything with 400 then 600. Next I basecoated with 2 coats of Black Base. Next was Gold where the red would be. After that 3 coats of red without flake. One coat with flake. next is 2 coats of clear. Then I wet sanded with 800 and then flow coated twice. I would have liked to get one more flow coat on but I ran out of clear. After that I had to wet sand and buff out some big runs in the clear. There are some imperfections etc that I would have liked to fix but I ran out of time and patience. Overall I think it turned out alright but it could have been much better. I'll get a pic at night too soon, but its all LED'ed out now too. Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice man where'd you get those flush mounts? how was installation?
Yeah those are LP turn 6's. Installation was not as easy as I would have liked because I needed to get some scrap plastic pieces to use as washers so they didn't move, but wiring was easy.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Looks good !!

·
Registered
123 Posts
looks fresh. nice blinkers, i have 'em too.

·
Registered
731 Posts
nice paint job!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sweet job.. My Q is, from the time of strip down to picture time. what was the down time? days,weeks,months? thats the only thing that prevents me from taking the plunge to paint. That "pure" touch is tight.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet job.. My Q is, from the time of strip down to picture time. what was the down time? days,weeks,months? thats the only thing that prevents me from taking the plunge to paint. That "pure" touch is tight.
Well it would have been one week... But I had a crack in the nose fairing right where it bends near the handlebars. So I bought a plastic welder and tried all sorts of epoxies but nothing would stay. So I ended up having to buy a new fairing which set me back two weeks so a total of about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Crazy..im in a similar situation. i just got my new nose fairing in and it was a MOTHER to get on, just about everything matched up except for the holes to windsheild. Did you run into this? I am weighing the option of drilling a new hole in the fairing to match up but then i will have an unused hole to fill OR i can drill the windsheild(fear of it cracking) to match the hole in the fairing.. any recommendations?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Crazy..im in a similar situation. i just got my new nose fairing in and it was a MOTHER to get on, just about everything matched up except for the holes to windsheild. Did you run into this? I am weighing the option of drilling a new hole in the fairing to match up but then i will have an unused hole to fill OR i can drill the windsheild(fear of it cracking) to match the hole in the fairing.. any recommendations?
My vote would be the windshield. Get a new drillbit thats really sharp and tape over the area to be drilled. You will want low speed and very little pressure. Just go slow and you should be good. Where did you get the fairing from... Mine was a stock one from an 02 zx6r and all I had to do was sand it down. I have to say the fit and finish was not as nice as mine but it wasn't awful either.

Although I do seem to remember thinking that the holes weren't matching up well on the windshield because there seemed to be more bend in the fairing than the old one, but if I put the screws in in a certain order, everything worked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts