Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if anyone has tried the new Pirelli Diablo tires and how they would rate them for grip, longevity, warm up time...etc? I currently have Bridgestones, BT10s and was thinking of trying the Pirelli's. Any info would be appreciated.[8D]

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just got a the new Diablo on my RR and am very pleased with. I have had bt012ss, sportech m-1, and now this one on the rear and I would have to say that it is great. I would compare it to the Metz
m-1 but it seems to have more inline stability and a lil harder compound. So far its the most impressive tire that I have ridden on. I only have about 500 miles on it and it seems to be wearing very good I would expect to get 3000-3500 miles out of it. Unlike the M-1 were I only got 2500 miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Chef, I will start shopping for the Diablo's. I just hope that I can get them at a decent price. BTW, where did you buy yours, and how much were they?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
the thing with tires is that there are a lot of good ones out there and people's favs are different for various reasons. the only real way to find out how good the tire is is to do a track run really hard and push the limits of the tires. and even then some might be pretty even. it's not like we use the tire the same on the street as we would on the track.
but anyway hope they work out for u, i'm sure they're great

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by spartan 116
the thing with tires is that there are a lot of good ones out there and people's favs are different for various reasons. the only real way to find out how good the tire is is to do a track run really hard and push the limits of the tires. and even then some might be pretty even. it's not like we use the tire the same on the street as we would on the track.
but anyway hope they work out for u, i'm sure they're great
Very true, but I need a new set anyways and my philosophy was to try a different set (the reputable ones of course) until I can finally settle on a brand of tires that fits my riding style the best. I also wanted some feedback in case someone had experienced a negative side to the Pirelli's.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i have the diablos, i think they are great, stickier than the stock tires. made me less nervous while learn curves.The front is not available in stock size for the 636. have to either get a 60 or 70 series there is no 65. I paid 235 for both tires and mount from a yamaha dealer that was having a sale

·
Registered
209 Posts
So - did you get the 60 or the 70?

I went through two sets of diablos w/ my FZ1 (and many other tires). They were great and I got slightly less than 3K including 3 track days for the first set. The front was a very high profile tire though - so my turn in was slightly slower than w/ M1's. I'd think going with a 60 for the front on the 636 would counteract this effect and leave you with a tire that handles much like stock. I think the 70 would just make things worse. The tires were rock solid through the corners and handled great at the track. The CR's were telling me I was leaving black stripes coming out of corners - but the tires never slid uncontrolably in the time I had them...

I'll be getting them for my 636 when the stockers are worn out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by mac
i have the diablos, i think they are great, stickier than the stock tires. made me less nervous while learn curves.The front is not available in stock size for the 636. have to either get a 60 or 70 series there is no 65. I paid 235 for both tires and mount from a yamaha dealer that was having a sale
Hi Mac
I checked with a tire dist. Co. in Ohio and they had the Pirelli Diablo available in size 65 (maybe it was added recently to the list), check out the link. http://www.motorcycletires.com/Pirelli_Diablo.htm

·
Registered
401 Posts
i bought the 60. when i got mine, late august, i was told that the 65 was discontinued. he called around to see if any distributers had any left but no luck. i read somewhere that pirelli tires have a larger circumference. i had to ride on the rear pirelli and the stock front and i noticed the bike was higher in the back. also i was worried about strait line stability with the smaller front tire. very noticible at slow speeds, the bike falls into turn really easy. scared me pulling out of the dealer. I love the tires though i like to stick with what works, so i will buy another set. hope that helps

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have a a pair of Metzeler Sportec M1's on my bike at the moment. If you like a really quick turn in, you'll like the M1's. The Pirelli's turn in a bit slower (not much) and they both handle and stick really well once the bike is leant over. That's where they are happiest. They seem to be lasting well, but I tend to get a lot of mileage out of my tyres compared to most people.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your input, Nigel and Mac. I will also look into the Metzeler Sportec M1's. I won't be buying a new set til the spring, therefore allowing me to take advantage of the very agonizing winter months to complete more research.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Below is my reply to another topic, now after 7000 km of street and track riding the Diablos have still some life (1000-2000 km) left and the profile is still ok, no squaring. Front has worn a bit unevenly, but no vibrations so far. The front is 120/70, I lowered the front 6mm to compensate the change from stock 120/65 tyre.

The Diablos have been the best tyres I've tried so far, next I'll try the bit more track oriented Corsa version of tyre.

Btw, the Mez Sportec M-1 is basically the same tyre as the Diablo apart from the tread pattern so you really can't go wrong with that tyre either.

<clip>
Ok, now I've tried Pirelli Diablos on trackdays too. Over 400 km of track riding and I couldn't be happier. IMHO they are a lot better option for -03 than the stock Pilot Sports.

A brief review of the diablos:
+ grip
+ fast turn in
+ neutral and stable handling in corners
+ warms up fast (less than a lap)
+ did I mention grip?
+ wears nice and even, no rubber "roll over" build up in
side of the tyres.

- nothing so far. I've ridden ~1500 km on them.

A friend of mine took one session on my bike too and told that the grip and feel of the tyres is almost on par with some racier rubber (he runs Metz Rennsport streetrace on a -00 6r). He told me that there was only one part at the track where the Rennsports had grip advantage over the Diablos...
<clip>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.