Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered this from indysuperbikes.com yesterday at 1030 am paid for standard 5 day shipping and i got it today at 130pm! holy shit, these guys are great.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by newfie
Looks good....are they very hard to install? I was thinking of getting one for my 6r also.
takes like 2 minutes to install its been raining all day but im sure it will make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by denmah
i ordered this from indysuperbikes.com yesterday at 1030 am paid for standard 5 day shipping and i got it today at 130pm! holy shit, these guys are great.
Not really needed for the average rider. For the street rider its just un-nessessary bling

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by GingerNinja

Not really needed for the average rider. For the street rider its just un-nessessary bling
Now , what's that phrase again , something to do with if you don't have anything nice to say , then .......

It's not un-necessary bling , you don't have to do track days to enjoy the benefit of a damper.

Nice damper!

·
Registered
802 Posts

I found nothing wrong with this comment. I think it's just unnecessary for the "average" stree rider. If you ride aggressively, street or track, you could benefit from it. Although, a properly setup suspension could help keep the steering stable as well. Nice damper though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by saint

Now , what's that phrase again , something to do with if you don't have anything nice to say , then .......

It's not un-necessary bling , you don't have to do track days to enjoy the benefit of a damper.

Nice damper!
OK, state what valid reason this is nessessary? Steering dampers are to stabilize your steering at high speeds and are stated to improve lap times by 1 second or 2.

Unless on a track where are you going to do in excess of 120MPH? and at that where are you going to lean the bike over to get the full effect of the damper?

Street Bling - Plain and simple

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've known several people who have come down off a wheelie and started to tank slap but with the help of the damper were able to regain control. A friend of mine also bought one of the new Honda 1000RR with the electronic damper on it and he said that thing has saved his ass a couple of times going through a bad turn

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
As far as criteria for the nedd of one then by definition yes unneeded for the street. But for the people that ride their bike like it should be rode and not like a vespa a damper can be very handy.

The 10 has more than enough power to lift the front end at over 130mph and cause some headshake and my GPR does a great job of keeping that under control. I also ahve my suspension setup and have from day one and did not make on difference in the way the bike headshakes when under throttle.

With the more aggressive steering anlges the new bikes are coming with it will be more common to need a damper on them unless you just ride like somebody who is scared to ride the bike hard.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i ride like a crazy man, and i get headshake/wobble at least 2x everytime i go out. you cant tell me this is not usefull.

·
Registered
71 Posts

OK, state what valid reason this is nessessary? Steering dampers are to stabilize your steering at high speeds and are stated to improve lap times by 1 second or 2.

Unless on a track where are you going to do in excess of 120MPH? and at that where are you going to lean the bike over to get the full effect of the damper?

For YOU maybe.

Not everyone here keeps the bike at 4k rpms and 45 mph at all times.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a gold GPR on mine also. I think that a damper is a necessity on these bikes. That is why most of the new sport bikes coming out now have dampers on them from the factory.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Sounds like the voice of someone who overspent and can't afford to buy a damper of his own...lol.

My opinion on the new 6R's is that they don't get enough headshake right out of the box to necessitate the need for a damper right away. However if you can afford to get one, why not? Anything that could help make you safer while you ride is worth it to me.

Everyone rides differently and in different conditions and on different pavement. Me? I don't have one. Why? Cause I can't afford it right now #1 and #2 because I haven't felt the need to get one. If I could afford it right now I'd go get one if just for the safety factor.

Different strokes for different folks. But calling something "street bling" especially something thats a mechanically functional piece of equipment and not something cosmetic just makes you sound jealous.

·
Registered
447 Posts

--> i bet youll get one the next couple of months mostlikely u just got your bike..and dont know sht NOOB.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My 2005 6R doesn't have any real issues on the street or the track with headshake, but every once in a while I'll get a little if I'm on the power over some nasty bumps (railroad crossings for example). If you keep a light grip on the bars and relax, a little headshake is no big deal. Full-on tank slappers are way scary though.

If I decide to keep my bike for next season (once the 2007 new models are announced), I'll probably put a GPR on it this fall. I like the easy installation. If I'm selling the bike next season, I'll just save the $350...

·
Registered
227 Posts
i rode my buddy's bike w/out a damper and i WOULD NOT want to be without mine! i got the same one, but in black and it's a great investment. it's helped me A LOT. you don't have to be a track junky to appreciate it, i'm a pretty aggressive rider, and i loooove it!:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
It’s funny how everyone steps on my opinions and calls me a n00b but then offers their own opinions! For those of you that think you need this damper to ride on highways and on normal city streets you are fooled. There is not that much of a difference on a bike that has one vs. a bike that doesn’t when riding on street. Now when you have one on the track you can feel the difference when you actually race. I don’t race but I have been on a track and when going 140 into a turn you can feel the difference. You foolz that race your bikes on city streets and highways are true meaning of being a squid. If you don’t know what a squid is then don’t accuse me of being a n00b.

I NEVER said they are unnecessary, I said they are unnecessary and bling for normal street riding. So before you start to reply to my post you should work on your reading comprehension skills more and less time on practicing to be a super squid.

After all I’m allowed to have my opinions and your allowed to disagree and give your own, but why do you feel the need to talk shit about me personally?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.