Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Ive been taking the bike around the neighborhood giving it more and more as I go on and Im noticing my front brakes are acting a little weird. When I go to brake I start to feel as if my bike is diving and rebounding over and over. Like maybe the rotors are warped??? I bought a used rim off ebay with the rotors attached from a 05 zx6r. I placed my 08 rotors over them and they matched but the design was a little different. Now Ive had warped rotors before and last time it would cause me to loose all pressure in the front until i pumped it back up. Im not loosing any pressure Im just getting this jack knifing feeling now. Any ideas??? I did install new front pads and my friend said maybe the pads need to break into the rotors.

The current look

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
My bike is doing the exact same damn thing. I replaced the rotors and it didn't fix the problem. If im ever able to find the damn tools I need to check the tree I'm going to do that, but in the mean time I need to get around to putting the bike on the jack stands and checking for play that way.

Is it more of an up and down thing or more like my issue where it feels like warped front rotors on a car? Im starting to wonder if the master or one of thhe calipers are bad or some shit. Regardless though, its been a bitch to find.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do you have a front stand? If you spin the wheel, does it stop in the same place every time? Are your fork oil levels even?

Next time you take your bike out, get up a little speed and then coast with the clutch pulled in. Feel for anything out of the ordinary. Do the same thing, but this time lightly apply the brake. Does the problem start as soon as you touch the brake, or do you have use it a little harder to start the problem? If you release the brake but keep rolling, does the problem go away?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Do you have a front stand? If you spin the wheel, does it stop in the same place every time? Are your fork oil levels even?

Next time you take your bike out, get up a little speed and then coast with the clutch pulled in. Feel for anything out of the ordinary. Do the same thing, but this time lightly apply the brake. Does the problem start as soon as you touch the brake, or do you have use it a little harder to start the problem? If you release the brake but keep rolling, does the problem go away?
Ah yes this. Get a couple of zip ties and loop it around your right bar and break lever. Then zip it closed enough to where the wheel drags good but you can still turn it with it on the front stand.

I did this myself, there is definitely a spot where it drags more but it is also definitely not my rotors. I think my front wheel might be fucked where the rotor mounts. Hopefully your problem is more obvious. This is something you will want to do though before spending a bunch of money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That is a new wheel for you if I remember, and it may have a problem similar to what W. described. The only other thing I can think of is wheel bearings, but I really don't know any way to check them, other than replacement. It would be good if you could get that front tire off the ground, so you could see exactly what was happening and you could check runout for the wheel and rotor. One other thing - when you reinstalled the front wheel, did you follow the manual? Sometimes little things can make a difference.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
for me? no stock wheel and I checked the bearings they are fine (although I have replacements ready). If the bearings are bad (which could cause this) you will be able to tell by checking for play once the front end is on a stand. If its bad enough to cause this, you WILL feel some form of play when you jerk the front end.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How hard is it to replace the bearings, something I can do myself?? (Funny since I just put a whole bike together) But the bike rides fine otherwise. Travels straight and smooth. Im using the back brakes most of the time riding around the city and no problems. Just when I hit the front brakes when the jack knifing starts. Had the wheel balanced about a week ago and it seemed fine the guy that did it didnt say it had any problems. I do have a front stand and I spent the wheel before i took it out and it rotated freely. Although I do hear a scratching sound but because I had that sound before my accident with my other wheel i took it as normal. I asked a bunch of people about that sound and everybody said dont pay it any attention. So idk.....I looked at the front wheel diagram and noticed I do have a collar missing, was missing off my original wheel as well. So I have that coming in the mail.

Also it happens when the i apply the brakes only. When I apply more force on the brakes it starts to numb down a little bit. I had my steering stem pressed in by this shop with the lower triple. That shouldnt have anything to do with it right??? The forks are my old forks which are fine. No leaking or anything, I can press down on the front over and over and no sounds.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Where on the wheel does this collar go? Reassemble the wheel with the collar in place, and it will eliminate one possibility. Although they are a possibility, usually with undamaged stem bearings the sign of the bearing being too tight is wandering, 'sticky' steering where the bike doesn't want to go straight. Too loose and you hear a definite click when you brake hard. You can easily do the wheel bearings yourself, and they aren't very expensive, but don't spend that money until you do the collar and check the bearings as mentioned. If after that you still have the problem, you can check the runout and determine exactly what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
According to the manual, you just tap the bearings out from the other side with a drift. Theres even a diagram.

Thats complete bullshit though, at least on my 03. That shit is flush and there isn't a lip to tap on. I honestly have no freaking clue how your suppose to get those mothers out.

In order to "feel" for tree play, the bike almost has to be on frame stands. Although if bumps don't cause it, just braking, ide check the other stuff first.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
So Ive been taking the bike around the neighborhood giving it more and more as I go on and Im noticing my front brakes are acting a little weird. When I go to brake I start to feel as if my bike is diving and rebounding over and over. Like maybe the rotors are warped??? I bought a used rim off ebay with the rotors attached from a 05 zx6r. I placed my 08 rotors over them and they matched but the design was a little different. Now Ive had warped rotors before and last time it would cause me to loose all pressure in the front until i pumped it back up. Im not loosing any pressure Im just getting this jack knifing feeling now. Any ideas??? I did install new front pads and my friend said maybe the pads need to break into the rotors.
I'd grab a buffing pad, or VERY VERY fine like 0000 steel wool, and some brake cleaner.

Remove the front calipers and using the wool and brake clean gently buff/scrub the disks where the pads grab. You're not looking to polish them, just remove residual brake friction material that has built up on them.

My bike is bad for this, something to do with the compound of the stock brakes, I actually end up doing this about... once every 4 months. You apply mid range to light brakes and you can feel the pads kind of catching and releasing, and the front compresses, then extends, compresses and extends. It slows as the wheel speed slows, and doesn't really affect emergency braking right?

According to the manual, you just tap the bearings out from the other side with a drift. Theres even a diagram.

Thats complete bullshit though, at least on my 03. That shit is flush and there isn't a lip to tap on. I honestly have no freaking clue how your suppose to get those mothers out.

In order to "feel" for tree play, the bike almost has to be on frame stands. Although if bumps don't cause it, just braking, ide check the other stuff first.

Weebel, you need to knock the spacer between the two bearings to side with the drift punch before you can get a punch on the lip. It just takes a little persistance.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
How do you knock the spacer? that's something I will need to know.

Also, since I'm still running the stock pads from 2003 in the front, Im planning on ordering new pads when I get that rivet chain crap. Do you think scrubbing my rotors wwhen I put the new pads on might fix my problem as well? They are new EBC rotors, but I messed up and ordered race pads and the bike had a shit fit. by that I mean it made the problem worse, so I have my doubts scrubbing the pads will work. since it was worse with new pads and rotors.

Not to thread jack sorry, this has just been something I have been working on for almost 2 years since I am reluctant to take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
yea it doesnt effect emergency breaking at all, but any light to moderate braking pressure causes the jack knifing to happen with it going away when more pressure is added. The rotors do look a little rusted like they have been sitting for a while. Im going to go ahead and just put my rotors from the 08 on first and see if that solves it. If not then Ill go ahead and scrub them down.

Also I was talking to one of my friends down the street and he was telling me to be real cautious with this as it happened to him on a gixxer once but his problem was the calipers as it locked up on him on the expressway one day. So got that to think about as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts