Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I recieved a free motorcycle from a friend. The bike needs alot of tender loving care. Here is what the bike is missing since the guy accidently throw them away.

1. Gas tank
2. Seats
3. Fairings
4. Basicly anything not pictured here.

The bike is a 1985 ZX600A which is funny since I also have a 03 ZX600RR.

The bike will probably turn into a track bike, learning bike for friends and to learn wheelies on.

Problems listing. Any help would be nice.

1. I'm having a few problems with the bike currently. The carb is leaking from the rear of the carbs. The little holes are leaking fuel from them. I'm not sure if they are suppose to.

2. I'm not sure if the clutch is fully disengaging since I can't ride it just yet. When up on the rear stand the wheel while in first gear and the clutch disengaged, its hard to spin the wheel. Here's some pictures of it.

Engaged

Clutch lever fully in. Clutch disengaged

Lever we had to weld to get the clutch to work at all. Metal was broken but seems good now. Gasless migs are little messier but I will be cleaning this up later.

Just some other pictures of the bike.

Front wheel.

Exhaust

Rear

We are just going to make a simple seat for now that just bolts up, like a wood board. In a couple of months I hope to have fairing made from scratch or find some race fairings. The gas tank I was tempted to just make a cylinder that can hold maybe a gallon of gas. Something simple but I have to see what the tracks will accept.

We were able to get the bike running fairly well tonight, we just need a gas tank to keep it running and to ride it some. Tomorrow I'm going to buy some oil and filter for it. Some cheap oil for now that I can change out after a couple of miles to clean the engine a little bit more. Then get some better oil but the filter I will go with a good one for both fillings. Supposely the bike hasn't been running for more then a couple of secs for a few years.

The bike also sounds ten times meanier then my RR. I was waiting for my neighbor to complain.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
That should be good fun. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have an '86 that was in a litte better shape:

1. Carbs leaked. Cleaned then and they still leaked. Float vales were still good with no visible wear. Turned out the seats were a bit corroded. I polished them with a pencil eraser and it worked fine.

2. Bike was missing many bolts, seats and brackets. Found most on ebay. THe rear tank bracket was almost impossible to find, found one from cycle-salvage.com.

3. The clutch may just have some varnish. New oil may clean it up. On another bike, I added a bit of ATF tranny fluid. It dissoved much of the varnish. Then replaced oil and it was fine.

Mine is almost done. Has been alot of work. Was supposed to be a cheap bike for my sis. Did not spend much until I had it all together and running. But it overheated. I flushed the coolent and then it started burning coolent bad. So had to tear engine down. Then the "you might as well" items cost $$$. Did complete gasket set and new piston rings.

IT is a blast to ride. Handles great and has a wide, flat power band. If it had bigger tires, I would make it a track bike.

BTW, I have a rear seat (needs recovering) and a lower scoop (has front cut off, bigger tires will hit scoop).

I probably got 20 items off ebay for mine. I had the body work, but needed brackets bolts etc. There are several 85-87 bikes up in parts there.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could someone do a vin search for me to see if this bike is HOT. Here is the vin. JKAZX4A16FA016380.

Any sites that can do this search.

I did find a local place for a gas tank for 75 dollars and top fairing for 150

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally got to drive the bike about 50ft but without a gas tank its a little hard.

And I did find out the bike isn't stolen. I had called up 4 police departments with a single one not willing to run the VIN. I finally had to just walk up to a parked police car to get the thing ran.

·
Registered
812 Posts
cool, good luk with the projet. One question... how does one accidentally throw away a gas tank? maybe beause it was corroded?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really not sure how that happen but its just gone. I called up two different junkyards for a tank. One place quoted me 200 dollars for a dent 88 tank which I laughed at him. He asked me if I knew how much a tank from the dealership cost. Yea I know but that is the correct year and perfect condition so I hung up after laughing at him. the other place wants 75 dollars for the correct tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update to the project

I only had two problems with the tank. The fuel level indicator was not installed in the tank and I wasn't going to pay 80 dollars for one. Who needs a fuel indicator for a track bike. Plus there is no gas cover but ebay should have those.

Also the bracket was missing for the tank/seat. I can admit my bracket isn't the prettiest thing but good enough for now. This is only my third time welding anything. I welded the bracket to the tank since I don't care if I have to undo the bracket from the frame to remove the tank.

Here is the bike as a whole at this currect time

The tank, upper fairing, and lower cowling cost me 225 total. My co-worker and I have the carbs apart. I still have to order all the o-rings. So far I can only find the o-rings from bike bandit and I have to order all of them. They are about 3 dollars apiece and seems to be about 15 of them.

Does anyone know of a cheaper place to get them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.