Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
541 - 560 of 575 Posts

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
As for the power, it's all in the throttle control. Nothing is too intense if you use it in moderation and that absolutely applies to throttle control on a sport bike.
Please see below...

It's about the bike's ability to bite you in the ass when in emergency situations. If you try to do an evasive maneuver on a 250 you're never going to be doing triple digit speeds in under 5 seconds like you can on a 600 or bigger bike in the low gears. If you have a panicked reaction on a 600cc+ a highside or worse is almost imminent. In emergency situations it should never be about the horsepower, but you're ability as a rider to brake and evade impending doom.

I've heard of many riders who were 'mentally' ready for a big bike but then have an epiphany in an emergency situation where they've shit themselves when push came to shove in an evasive maneuver or twisty ride where they almost met their maker. Which is what happened in this case, he wasn't ready for the acceleration capabilities of the bike and when push came to shove it bit him good and hard.

There's a good reason that most of the upper echelon motorcycle racers and riders started life on 125s, 250s or similar. It forces you as a rider to focus on smooth technique to be fast and will allow you to walk away from hairy situations in more cases than any supersport (600 class) or superbike (1000 class) or God forbid a hypersport (ZX-14 or Hayabusa) will.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So after one season on a ninja 250r, I just got a 2007 zx6r. I was super pumped to move up to a 600, but decided that I needed to take things a bit more seriously. I started watching videos of motorcycle crashes, and reading stories such as this one to scare me straight. But i think Ive gone too far, what was once excitement and anticipation has turned into nervousness and fear

I dont want this to happen to me. What can I do to avoid this? I know its an impossible question to answer. I think the first step is get a steering damper....

Hope your doing well buddy

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
So after one season on a ninja 250r, I just got a 2007 zx6r. I was super pumped to move up to a 600, but decided that I needed to take things a bit more seriously. I started watching videos of motorcycle crashes, and reading stories such as this one to scare me straight. But i think Ive gone too far, what was once excitement and anticipation has turned into nervousness and fear

I dont want this to happen to me. What can I do to avoid this? I know its an impossible question to answer. I think the first step is get a steering damper....

Hope your doing well buddy
Im not going to touch the steering dampener debate; gets really messy.

How can you avoid being him?
ATGATT all the gear all the time
Dont ride like an asshat.
Always be alert.
Expect that cagers will do everything to try and kill you
Dont trust your tires and the road fully aka leave a large safety margin

Even if you do all that, theres no guarentee that you wont end up like this guy. Why does the squid without gear riding like an asshat live to a ripe old age while the atgatt safe rider die a young man? Luck. All those things do is increase the odds that everytime you roll the dice/get on the bike, the dice are as loaded in your favor as possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
man you are luck to be alive i feel so bad man u have a positive attitude which is freaking great.
but how would u want to get back on a bike man? im a beginner with a 250r 09 and im an actor in NYC and i will kill myself if i wont be able to continue my job especially if it damages my looks.

i had a broken nose when i was 10, it tillted about half a centimeter to the right (most ppl have after broken noses) i went to get a plastic surgery on it.
just sayin my health, well being, and looks are way more important to me than a thrill of my bike (period).

i wont pass 75 mph on it EVER (hopefully) ill leave the acceleration to my bmw x6.

BE CAREFUL.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Would be nice to see this guy post again since it's been so long. Would love to see ho things ended up for him and if he ever climbed back on. Hope he's well..

·
Registered
25 Posts
well .. sorry to hear about your misfortune dude .. thats why bikes have 2 wheels. take care if your getting another bike dude .. but i dont think you should if you drive like that.

·
Registered
881 Posts
yup thats why I have a 250 and I took the BRC course before I bought anything and started to ride. with 4000 miles under my belt I will be upgrading soon but, I still dont get why you were going 100 mph... I mean shit man thats just to much...I feel bad that it happened to you and wish it wouldnt happen to anyone but the wya you tell the story it sounds like you didnt care, even though you said you scared yourself a few times, that would at least make you want to slow down...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Confused here... Going from 2nd to 3rd hard gave headshake? Is there something more to this? I have redlined my bike from 2-6th for the most part instantly accelerating hard. Never had this happen. It freaks me out though so I'm curious.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry about your accident bro. Best of luck, but if you hop on a bike again- be careful. I just started riding; I bought a 05 ZX-6R which can be a bad thing. I open it up a bit on open open roads, but never into five digit revs; I respect the bike. I love riding a bike, but I don't want to die riding one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Confused here... Going from 2nd to 3rd hard gave headshake? Is there something more to this? I have redlined my bike from 2-6th for the most part instantly accelerating hard. Never had this happen. It freaks me out though so I'm curious.
Using my first post here to hopefully answer a question:)

I believe, if I read it correctly, he indicated that the head shake was from popping the clutch too fast at too high of a rpm that prompted the front tire to slightly lift off the ground. That generally may be ok, but the faster you are going the more you gotta make sure that front tire comes in perfect alignment on the landing. As soon as that front tire has a slight angle than the direction of travel, it will instantly go in to a head shake. The faster you're going and the more of the degree you are off the more the serious the head shake is going to be or chance to occur. Other things can cause head shake as well.

I'm sure this all happened in seconds, but i'm curious to know if this could have been adverted if both brakes were applied hard. I've never experienced a head shake and I only have 4k miles under my belt on my 250r.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to stop a head shake once it has started?

-Xposure

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
Reduce the pressure on the bars, grip the tank with your knees and let the bike ride out the head shake. A bike's suspension geometry is designed to oscillate back to normal (straight). Gripping the bars white knuckle style trying to prevent it will only make it worse.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Using my first post here to hopefully answer a question:)

I believe, if I read it correctly, he indicated that the head shake was from popping the clutch too fast at too high of a rpm that prompted the front tire to slightly lift off the ground. That generally may be ok, but the faster you are going the more you gotta make sure that front tire comes in perfect alignment on the landing. As soon as that front tire has a slight angle than the direction of travel, it will instantly go in to a head shake. The faster you're going and the more of the degree you are off the more the serious the head shake is going to be or chance to occur. Other things can cause head shake as well.

I'm sure this all happened in seconds, but i'm curious to know if this could have been adverted if both brakes were applied hard. I've never experienced a head shake and I only have 4k miles under my belt on my 250r.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to stop a head shake once it has started?

-Xposure

listen the post above me but dont worry about headshake too much on a 250.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thats a fucked up story,but I tell all newbies to this shit, take a ridin course, learn from pro's dont put yourself out there like that. Take it from me theres nothin like doing 160mph+ but you need space and skill. And above all get some gear, wearin vans and jeans is not cool if you had boots and amour pants etc,you mite have walked away from this. the point i'm tryin to make is you can be az crazy az you want but make it home in one piece!

·
Registered
2 Posts
ouch... were there any other options than amputation? do you think wearing like motorcycle appropriate boots would have helped?? to save your ankle?

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I think the general consensus is that if he had been wearing motorcycle appropriate boots, he probably would've kept his foot

541 - 560 of 575 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.