Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey man, I feel your pain (not quite as much) Sorry to hear about that :(...I wrecked back in June on the interstate movin 70Mph, and I know it's not pretty, at all. Of course my wreck wasn't quite that bad, I hit a metal rain grate that came out from under a car (car went over it), and I didn't have time to move, so after I hit it, and landed, handlebars were literally slappin the tank about 1/4 second apart, so I had to lay it down...only messed up my left ankle, and broke left wrist. Anyways, that story's still on here somewhere, heh...But it'll get better, for sure. I think of story's like this, and my own, as miracles, you're still alive, that's what matters. Keep your head up :D and good luck.

-=relik

·
Registered
45 Posts
Man, you learned your lesson the REALLY hard way. I lowsided on a Ninja 250 at about 25mph while wearing good leather work boots, and nearly dug through the leather to the steal toe on those things. That right there convinced me to never underestimate the importance of good footwear.

ATGATT - All the gear, all the time. I read an article about gear a while back that proposed good riding boots as the second most important piece of gear after the helmet. Why? Because foot and ankle injuries are the most common injury of all. I think gloves and boots definitely get overlooked for the more glamorous looking and stylish leather jackets. Don't get me wrong, you need a good jacket. But really, you need ATGATT.

Really sorry about your injuries, but I'm sure your family and friends are just glad that you weren't killed, which you very well could have been. Remember that when you get pissed off, dealing with your recovery.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Damn, dude...I hate to hear stories like that. Both times I've been down, I should have been injured much worse than I was...the first wreck I shattered some of the cartilage in my knees and killed a bunch of nerves. Two months of physical therapy and crutches, and bits of my knees are still numb a year later. The second time was about a month ago...I was wearing Nike running shoes, a nice pair of Icon riding pants, textile A* gloves with CF knuckles, a helmet, and a thin button-up collared t-shirt (it was hot and I was only riding a mile or two down the road, so I left my jacket in the garage), I was sorta ran off the road at about half lean at 45mph or so, and the bike slipped off the paint stripe and hit a 6" raised asphalt driveway. The bike flipped over itself back onto the road, kicked me off, and landed on my legs. What should have broken me only chipped my shin bone, gave my already bum knees a good rash and bruising, scuffed up my back all up and down (but not bad or deep), and gave me rash from my right elbow half way down my forearm. I've had my bike back two weeks, now, and my shin still gives me problems every time something touches it. It was a miracle that my ankles/feet were fine. Completely untouched. I don't even think it beat up my shoes at all, and I have them tied so that I can slip them on/off...they're my grungy work shoes. Today I just put in a power commander to get my bike running right with the full exhaust, and I've already had two close calls. Once because it was very windy today and the wind caught an inadvertant first gear wheelie (it picks up much sooner and lifts faster than it did before just on a smooth, decent throttle twist from low RPMs)...the bike started to pivot in the air, and I came down at a slight angle with the steering almost at full lock...one quick wobble and the damper caught it, but it scared the piss out of me. Then on the way home tonight I almost hit a fucking raccoon. It pulled a squirrel move where it's past your lane going all the way across, and it's on the far edge of the opposite lane, and when it sees you coming it freaks and runs back the way it came. I think I ran over it's tail, it was so close to me hitting it. :/

If/when you get a new bike, be sure to get a damper. I've heard that you can power out of headshake, if you're collected enough and high enough in the revs...just chop it full open really fast, and it'll take the weight off the front tire so you can straighten it out...but I don't know if I'd be collected enough in that situation to really do that. My damper's saved my ass a few times, now.

I hope you recover quickly. Be sure to take it easy, man, and good luck with everything.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by Blade9123

what actually causes head shake?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the weight coming off the front tire with you gripping the clip ons, and if your pull or grip is uneven, you'll unintentionally pivot the wheel, and then the weight comes back onto the wheel (like wheelying and setting it down, hitting a bump that compresses the front forks hard and then having them rebound too far, hitting a bump that's angled or hitting it at an angle that pushes the front wheel quickly to one side, or shifting hard) when the steering is still turned. The tire grips and swings the steeing in line, but momentum and leaning physics pull it too far, and it goes back and forth and gets worse unless you're lucky and ride it out, a damper slows the shake so it doesn't swing past neutral or get worse, or you throttle hard out of it and set the steering back straight before the weight comes back on.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Damn.... sorry dude.

Your scars remind me of the scars of a former coworker. He was riding along his merry way and a car pulled out of a driveway and hit him squarely on the right side. Busted his entire leg up, from ankle to shattered pelvis. Strongest mofo I ever knew - his PT was brutal. But he was walking again (with crutches) in just over a year, and another 6 months or so without help.

Moral of story: Stay strong, man.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
Originally posted by Blade9123

what actually causes head shake?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the weight coming off the front tire with you gripping the clip ons, and if your pull or grip is uneven, you'll unintentionally pivot the wheel, and then the weight comes back onto the wheel (like wheelying and setting it down, hitting a bump that compresses the front forks hard and then having them rebound too far, hitting a bump that's angled or hitting it at an angle that pushes the front wheel quickly to one side, or shifting hard) when the steering is still turned. The tire grips and swings the steeing in line, but momentum and leaning physics pull it too far, and it goes back and forth and gets worse unless you're lucky and ride it out, a damper slows the shake so it doesn't swing past neutral or get worse, or you throttle hard out of it and set the steering back straight before the weight comes back on.
Well from what i felt when i got headshake, the front was boucing up and down as it went from lock to lock. So to me it seems like the rear tire was spinning faster than the front and thus not letting settle down. It seemed that once i shut the throttle and the rear slowed it kinda evened out with the front and it stopped shaking. I think if i would've hit the throttle hard to try and wheelie out of it that would've just made things worse. But i could be wrong, so if i am then someone tell us how it works.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Man I wish you a speed recovery!!! Least you were smart enough to wear gear...Shit happens, sometimes I come outta this on ramp coming from work to home and I accelerate pretty hard too. 2nd to 3rd usually the same speed but I do have damper so that helps a bit.. Glad you're in good spirits man and I wish you the best

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good luck with your recovery!

As stated before, I hope some newbies learn from your experience, especially the ones that think they can handle a liter bike.

·
Registered
433 Posts
man reading that you never road before and you get 636 and ur doin stuff like that. thats asking for trouble. i don't think the 600 has to do with anything i think it has more to do with the head thats luckly on your shoulders still.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by MogZx-6r
man reading that you never road before and you get 636 and ur doin stuff like that. thats asking for trouble. i don't think the 600 has to do with anything i think it has more to do with the head thats luckly on your shoulders still.
Oh, come on, be civil. Everyone rides like that sometimes. These things beg you to open them up, and everyone obliges every now and then.

Next time you're slated for an amputation, I'll be sure to shit on your parade. :/

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the post. Remember the old Drivers Ed vid "Red Asphalt". where they talk about how important boots are. Well you just reminded me with the pics and reinforced it in my little brain. I will never leave the house without boots again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess I don`t feel like the most of you? Maybe I`m an ass but, look this is your first bike, people warned you, you have no riding skills on a powerful bike, head shake over and over, riding like a nut, and worst of all you don`t feel bad or scared by the sound of things. You will probably turn right around and do something simular and either kill youself or, worse, someone other than yourself. Sure we get begged to open them up and I do but, you have to use some sence. Sure anything can happen anywhere. Off ramps and freeways are not the place. Honestly, I think your a dumbass and you should buy a exercise bike and a fan and pretend. You don`t deserve to be on the road where you may kill or hurt someone else. :(

·
Registered
433 Posts
people like that are why insurance rates are ungodly high. the reason why people get in alot of recks are because they act immature on bikes. If you only have 1400 miles under ur belt and ur riding that aggressive on the street its bad news. last time i checked the speed limit wasn't 85 or 95 or whatever on onramps. Don't get me wrong im sympathetic towards the accident i wouldn't wish that on anyone. But outcomes like that can be avoided or decreased when u think rationally and within your limits. Flash Ahh makes a good point.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Stop blaming it on a newbie on a 600cc+ bike. I started on a 2004 ZX-6R and just got a 2005 ZX-6R. I haven't crashed yet, but if/when I do, I guess it's b/c I started on a 600CC+ bike? Just how many miles do I have to put on a bike before people consider you not a newbie?

To the OP, sorry about your misfortune, but if you were on a 500cc bike doing 90+ miles an hour coming to a stoplight, the end result probably would have been the same. If you were wearing Sidi Vertebras, or like, (unless I missed that part in the post) thinks may have been different. I wish there was another way other than amputation, that sucks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
sorry to hear about it hope your ok. i feel 30 feet from a scaffold in oct of 03, i snapped my femur, broke my tib,fib and drove them thru my ankle, broke my back and chest too. i als laid on the ground for 45 min before help came, i understand how bad the ambulance ride was everytime they hit a bump or the brakes i felt my leg move around like jello. i also had the external fixator on my leg like u for 7 months. i still can't walk right. unlike u i didn't lose my leg but everyday that goes by i wish that i did. i can't do anything that i loved to do snowboard,downhill mountain bike ect. i had to sell my kx 500 because i would never be able to kick it over. i'm not trying to compare what happened to me to you all i'm saying is when you leg is that messed up in the end you are better without it. if they took my leg with a fake one i could run,snowboard and walk without pain everyday, just hang in their you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Good luck with the recovery, I wish you all the best. Stories like this certaintly remind me to think twice before I snap that throttle wide open. Take care......I'll definitley be goin out to get me a new pair boots and a damper before this season gets started.

41 - 60 of 575 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.