Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am a new member to this website and here's why..

I've been seriously contemplating getting a motorcycle for over 3 years now. As of graduating college this past May and beginning to work, I can finally afford to get a bike. I've decided to go this upcoming week and put a down payment on a 2009 Ninja 250R, hopefully getting a black one. My plan is to pick up the bike from the dealership towards the end of April when the weather starts to get warmer. I am going to take the weekend training course offered near me before I get the bike. Some of my friends who are riders are saying I should start off with a used bike because I will probably take some spills. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? Any tips and suggestions in general are welcomed. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would definitely say pick up a used bike before you get a brand new 09. While you are going to be a new rider for a while you would rather drop a used bike and not your new one. I started riding back in January with a used 2002 ninja 500 and I love it. It is easy to learn on and fun to ride. I plan to keep for a good while until I am pretty experienced. But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Getting a used bike might not be a bad idea for your first bike. The safety course will allow you to drop their bikes and get a feel for the ride. But the bikes they use will likely sit right much different than the Ninja will. The course I took they had girls on little Honda Rebels, which are really small cruisers. They guys for the most part rode dual purpose bikes which are basically street legal dirt bikes.

Either way get the proper gear and get the necessary equipment to protect your bike if you do take a spill. Frame sliders, bar end sliders, and other accessories can prevent some of the major damage say you do drop your bike. A good helmet, gloves, boots, and a nice riding jacket are going to be a must too.

Oh yeah and if you do get a new bike, make sure you get really good FULL coverage insurance. And gap insurance if its offered. Nothing worse than making a payment on something you no longer own. It doesn't take much to total a sportbike. Look through some of the threads in the 250 section and you'll see.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advice guys, especially on getting total coverage for insurance. I'm only a bit hesitant to get a used bike due to the fact i don't want to have to replace parts and won't be exactly sure what I will be getting. Also the older ninjas hold their value so in my eyes it would make more sense to buy bran new and hope for the best. I learned how to do some turning on a 89' ninja zx10 which weighs 600+ pounds, it went down slowly when I stopped and was going to turn the bike because of its weight. I'm a very athletic person who does all the extreme sports so I'm hoping that will help me pick up riding quickly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you definately want an 08/09 250r I would say get a new one because a used one will probably not be much cheaper unless it has significant mileage or damage. Also consider that at around $4,000 the 250 is fairly economical. Now if you decide to get a bigger bike I would definitely say go used because dropping a $10,000 machine on the ground is much more painful.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The problem, as I have found out personally, is if you drop a new bike like a 250R, it will be totaled by your insurance comapny, even if all the damage was plastic.

Used is a great option, if possible. Great starters are the 250R, 500R, 650R, Versys, and er-6n. I believe there is also a 500 Vulcan that would do alright. That is assuming you wanted to stay Kawi. If you want a sport bike look, the obvious choices are the 250R, 500R and 650R. if you want something naked, go for a er-6n. It is basically the 650R without fairings. However, it is new the the states in '09. If you want a do-it-all bike that is really tall, go for a Versys. You can lower it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
if you can find a reliable used bike go for it. reliable (SEE LINK: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html) is a key word because you don't want to learn on a bike that you don't have to worry about so you can focus on the riding. If you are having a hard time finding a used that you like/think is reliable then I would say go with a new 250.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great site thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
welcome!! im in the northeast too!! good luck with what you choose to get. be safe.

·
Registered
216 Posts
When the wife finished the rider coarse we set out to buy her a bike. We new it was going to be a 250 Ninja. Just had to find one. After looking for over a month we found a 2002 with 800 miles on it. Paid $1700. She rode that for a year, 4200 miles ( yea she is hooked). When it was time to upgrade we looked at a bunch. The problem was seat height. She had a heck of a time touching on most if not all bikes. I found a 96 ZX600e in mint condition that I was able to lower 1" in the rear and 1.5" in the front, and with the help of Corbin the bike fits her perfect.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
always a used for a first bike in my opinion, just think of how many times you fell when learning to ride a bicycle & imagine all the scrapes ya got on yourself & apply that to the HUNDREDS of dollars worth of plastic, also DON'T wait till spring to get the bike, buy it in the winter when snow is on the ground, BEST time to buy a bike, just like getting a snowmobile in the middle of 90 degree weather.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Definitely buy a used 250 first, even if you only keep it for a few months, it's enough to get your noob mistakes ironed out. After you get used to the used 250, you might find that you want to upgrade to a 600 (older model or newer model depending on your comfort/skill) since you can get a newer used 600 for around the same price as an 2008/2009 250.

I started with a 1994 Ninja 600, it has plenty of power, was pre-dropped, and I've even dropped it a few times. Since it was pre-dropped, I pretty much just laughed it off when I dropped it. If it had been a brand new bike, I probably would've been crying especially if I had still been making payments on it and now it's worth $500 less since I messed up the plastics or something.

Also, if at all possible, pay cash for a bike (or put as much down as possible). Remember it's just for fun (unless it's your primary mode of transportation). I thought mine would be just for fun, but it's actually become my primary mode of transportation since I've had it.

Good luck out there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did it!

First of all, I wanted to say THANK YOU ALL for you're great advice! However, considering how the 250's don't lose their value, I went ahead and put a down payment at my dealership tonight. I'm getting a 09 black ninja 250R. He said they're going to be extremely hard to get this year due to the increased popularity around the globe now! ..my dealer wanted to get 25 and is only allowed 8 which will be taken within the month. Anyways I am taking the riding course with their bikes before I pick up my bike. If anyone wants to ride and lives near Massachusetts I'm down to make some biker friends.. I can't wait until next spring!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts