Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Name is Brett and I'm just getting into riding. I traded my Civic for a 2001 ZX-6R and am still getting the feel for it.

I ordered some frame sliders from Pro-Tek, but can't figure out how to install them. Or rather, where. They say they don't require cutting of the fairings and simply "remove the screw from upper fairing and replace it with the frame slider and screw."

Now, the upper fairing is the front fairing that wraps around the headlights, correct? Well I can't even find any frame under that to attach it to. I tried looking for any holes where the side fairings go (I don't have side fairings yet) but I can't find a spot for them either. Anyone know where these things actually install at? A picture would be amazing. I can't find a single one.

Another questions I have is regarding coolant. I think my bike is a little low but am not sure. I know the radiator needs to be full, but do I simply open the cap when the bike is cool and fill it all the way up until I can't fit anymore coolant in? I don't want to break anything.

Lastly, what are acceptable temps for this bike? I live in AZ so it's always rather hot, but I seem to constantly get temps in the 215-230 range. I just want to make sure these are acceptable. Oh, and FYI, the fan usually kicks on around 218F.

Thanks tons in advance. I'll be checking back here frequently to see if you lovely folks had a chance to answer these questions yet =D

-Brett

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the pic. Absolutely beautiful bike. I'll have to take another peak at my bike and see where that actually is. I don't have side fairings so it looks quite a bit different. From the pic it looks like they mount just below the fuel tank. I'll pay that area some more attention. Thanks again.

Anyone else have any advise / pics, or can answer more about the temps etc?

A pic of the actual screw hole (especially relative to the bike) would be ideal, but I don't expect anyone to take of their fairings just to snap a pic, lol. Because I don't have fairings, and all screws are still currently in, it's pretty hard for me to see which are actual fairing holes and which are to other things. I'd rather not remove a vital screw and stick these in the wrong spot. Sorry for being such a squib.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't expect those sliders to do much other than break off in the frame if you lay it down/hit something.

and welcome
Goodie... sounds like $60.00 well spent :(

Any recommendations then? I'm not naive and I know that statistically I will probably lay it down at some point. Will they even help at all or will they actually make a fall worse?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've had Pro-tek sliders on my bike for years. They've saved my paint, tank, and frame from a few falls off of the stand and a bump at the gas station. If you go down at speed, they'll most likely shear off, but not make anything worse. I'd just install them and not sweat it so much.

Oh, and that engine temp... I wouldn't worry about it either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had Pro-tek sliders on my bike for years. They've saved my paint, tank, and frame from a few falls off of the stand and a bump at the gas station. If you go down at speed, they'll most likely shear off, but not make anything worse. I'd just install them and not sweat it so much.

Oh, and that engine temp... I wouldn't worry about it either.
Thanks much. I just added some super coolant that says it lowers temps by 6-10 degrees, so that might help, too.

As for the frame sliders, I guess I'll just keep looking and see if I can find some holes they can fit in. If not, maybe I'll just start unscrewing a few things and see where on the damn frame these things can fit =X

Thanks again for the help so far, everyone, looking forward to chatting with you all more in the future. Especially since my ZX6R is my only mode of transportation now ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Look on your side fairings.... either side. There will be three main bolts that hold the fairing on, as well as three screws. Pay attention to the bolts. They'll form a triangle. The mounting point is the top bolt, the vertex of the triangle. Take the proper hex wrench and pull out the factory bolt. Simply use the bolt supplied with the sliders to mount them it. Shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes.

As for the "super coolant", I've had limited success with them, but I suppose it's worth a try. My bike is usually about 180-200 during normal riding, but as soon as I get stuck in traffic the temps jump up really fast.

Oh, and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here, this may help:

This is the side of my bike, obviously minus some other bits and pieces, but I think you can visualize. I've labeled the three bolts. The one you're looking for is number "1"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks a ton bro. I assumed that was the one, but it's nice to be sure. Since I don't have side fairings on my bike, I'll just look for that hole in the frame. The bike didn't come with side fairings, and until I'm more confident on it I don't see the need to shell out a few hundred for plastic I'm likely going to ruin. You guys are life savers.

Oh, and Tempest; The coolant is called "hy-per lube" and was just some stuff I got at Wal-Mart. However, at least in my case, the claim was true as now my bike is running about 5-8 degrees cooler (for now at least). Not bad for 7 bucks. Although it could just be I was low on coolant and now am not, and that made the difference. *shrug* Not conclusive enough that I'd really endorse it. The temperature could have also been lower today making a difference.

Again, thanks so much guys. I really appreciate the help. Seems like all of my questions are answered now. I'll probably be silently trolling for the forums learning new info for a bit. Kinda sucks being new to something, heh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts