Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm up in arms between a 600 and a 2008 250r.

I'll be doing a lot of freeway driving. (about 100miles 3x a week) so my concern is how much buzzing around im going to be dealing with.

I've read the threads about the 08 on the freeway from that Bayarea guy.
I understand that at 80mph thats around 7k rpm. So on a 600 what RPM range would that be?

Would changing sprockets to change the gearing be a reasonalbly cheap thing to do? Worth the headache?

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
If you're going to do mainly freeway riding, you may want to consider the ex500 instead.

I don't think your decision on what you should get between a 600 or a 250 should be based on freeway riding. A 600 supersport isn't exactly a good highway commuter. The 500 will be more comfortable and pretty much fit your listed needs much better.

As far as gearing and sprockets, please search and take a look around. Lots of active threads about the topic right now.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I agree with Kurosaki, a 600 is not a great commuter bike, its more of a weekend/track bike. I know others will say otherwise. You would get better gas mileage on that 250 anyways and its cheaper to buy. Think about the long run because any bike period isn't cheap to maintain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't forget the 650R. The 650 is intended as the replacement for the 500. It's not a super sport like the 600 and it's pretty beginner friendly. I test rode both the 650 and 250, I ended up with the 250 because as a beginner I felt a lot more comfortable with its lighter weight and lower seat height. With that said my commute is ~60 miles a day and my 250 does just fine doing 60-70 mph. I have also done stretches where the speed limit is 75 mph and I have to go 80-85 mph to keep up with the traffic. The 250 can maintain those speeds but just remember that you don't have whole lot of power left for passing or to get out of the way.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 08 650, after changing the handlebars and windscreen and a couple of cosmetic things it does not look to bad. Great bike IMO good for commuting, gas, or whatever you throw at it. the 650 is something deff to consider if you drive alot, want a better look with enough power to get by. Also it is alot cheaper on insurance and that is always a good thing. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i started out on the ex500. its a great bike. it is very forgiveable and is descent on the highway. the seat and riding position is very comfortable. the looks are ok but you're going to be upgrading anyway

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ducati 1048 dude, I started on a liter bike and it was no prob, its all in the wrist!

j/k, I got a 09 250 and its plenty of bike for me right now...

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had both a 250 and a 650, the 250 felt a bit scary cuz it has very little torque so regular street/highway riding was always a bit chancy on it, its not super practical. i mean its fine if all you're doing is going down the street, but there's alot of street lights that might get a little unnerving and since its so light and the tires are so narrow it gets blown around on the highway from side to side alot.

the 650 has alot more power and just overall feels more like an actual "machine" than a "toy", u might get a few scares at first if you're not careful with the throttle, but i was fine with it after a few weeks of riding, now it actually feels pretty mild, but its absolutely sufficient for street riding. its faster than most cars on the road, and highway riding on it is great, you can cruise comfortably but also have alot of power for passing. to top it off its something you can keep for awhile, its a great commuter. I'd recommend it as a first bike for sure, over the 250 or the 6r

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i had both a 250 and a 650, the 250 felt a bit scary cuz it has very little torque so regular street/highway riding was always a bit chancy on it, its not super practical. i mean its fine if all you're doing is going down the street, but there's alot of street lights that might get a little unnerving and since its so light and the tires are so narrow it gets blown around on the highway from side to side alot.
You were doing it wrong.

To the OP - there is nothing wrong with the 250. If it's a toss up between that or the 600, go with the 250.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hehe, nah not saying there's anything wrong with the 250, i enjoyed the bike alot, but having had the opportunity try both 250 and the 650 i liked the 650 better. and yeah if its 250 vs 600 go with the 250, but don't forget there's also the 650, its like 30hp less than the 600 and its a twin and most of the torque is below 9k rpm so its alot more usable for city riding. also if you're doing mostly freeways i'd recommend the 500 or the 650, the 250 can do it, but you're basically pushing it to keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im going to be getting a bike soon and im prety sure its gona end up eing a 250r..how exactly does it do on th freeway..im going to be taking a 20 min trip on the freeway daily. i know im not suppose to expect some crazy fast speed since its a 250, but is it fast enough to safe safe? merging/changing lanes/passing etc....

thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you have the cash I'd start out on a 650r
+1 on the 650r. I ride a 07 zx6 and ma bro rides a 650r, the difference in comfort is phenomenal. He's got plenty of torque to keep up with me on the twisties and is comfortable riding around town. I cant stand riding in the city with my bike cause she gets hot and well quite frankly she was designed to scream not put around. As a highway commuter I'd go 500 or the 650.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Seeing as how you are a new rider, that automatically makes me want to tell you to go with the 250R. However, if you are set on getting a 600, have you ever considered a ZZR600. They are incredible all around bikes. Just throwing another bike out there for you to consider.

·
Registered
104 Posts
how bout a 500 used.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts