Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just started riding in April this year bought my first bike a 97 ninja250 for 800 bucks. 3,900 miles . When i met the guy he said it needs a little TLC and a carb cleaning well being a cheepskate i decided to lean myself real fast , got the proper tools and manual started going to work and ill say i did a great job the bike ran like new. Now fast forward to this past week in September ive done 3 oil changes this time i was strongly advised by other riders and fourms to switch to synthetic and go with 20/w50 for the hot humid weather which i did and everything seemed to run better smooth clutch etc etc .. However i noticed after 3 weeks or so my oil light would come on until fully warmed up even in 90 degree weather.. But all ran great . Now last night i didnt let my bike fully warm up just about 2 min and took off with the oil light still on but it went away after about 3 or 4 miles , i was riding in a 50mph zone which allows passing on my way to work almost running late i was stuck behind a old lady going about 20!! Needless to say i dropped gear an punched it to pass which I've always done but this time was different i think but i can't be sure i went from 2nd to first thinking i was in 3rd going to 2nd again im not sure but when I dropped gear to pass i went way over redline and all of a sudden i heard a bang which seemed to come from my right side maybe the gearbox? Not 100% sure my heart sunk after the bang i heard which can be described as little pebbles floating around in my exhaust im not sure where the noise was coming from i then hit the gear to go up one again not sure if i was now going into 2nd or 3rd but nothing was grabbing it was slipping i believe it woulndt or past 6k rpms in any gear i tried then i lost power the engine cut out and my back tire locked up and managed to get it on the side of the road.. 5 min later i started it up and it ran for about a half a mile again same pebble noise and the gears wernt holding it seemed .. Then out of no where I got a sure from the throttle And i flew picking up speed then it died again and now wont start when I try to start it sounds like a mild grinding noise hard to explain like maybe heavy scratching but wont even turn.. I drained the oil to find quite a bit of metal shaving and only about a quart of oil left i wasnt leaking could the oil have been burning up? Sorry or the long post but in so depressed as it is my first bike and currently my only form or transportation until the snow hits i hope its not a blown engine anyone someone any ideas? Thank you all !

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
sounds like you've really screwed your engine, especially if there was metal in the oil. Your piston might have hit a valve? Start simple with a compression check and a leak down, and then diagnose from there. But from what you've described it sounds catastrophic.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It sounds like it didn't have enough oil in it (1 quart is very low), and it destroyed something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your responses one more thing..

So should i even bother to add oil and give it another shot ? Or just have it looked at , ive heard from friends it could be my starter clutch? Or the clutch basket .. But then again it won't even crank it just makes loud buzzing noises not the type of sound from a dead battery its different.. Damm i was hoping to hear something good.. But thank you all who have replied

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Well, if it failed catastrophically adding oil and trying it again is only going to fail it worse.

The buzzing sound is your starter relay. You can check the voltage on your battery, it's probably too low to start the bike right now.

You can pull the clutch apart if all the oil is out of it, but you'll need to order another gasket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again cookie.. But

Yea i know what a dead battery sounds like its not that type of clicking it does sound like the starter it used to make that noise when my plugs were bad i did replace the plugs but nothing.. Again would something messed up in the clutch make it not start ?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Sounds like you seized or detonated the engine...

I'd pull the clutch and alternator covers to have a quick look around. Then pull the spark plugs to check for metal shavings on the spark plugs.

Bad news is... you're probably going to need a new engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well..

No metal from the plugs .. Actually very clean looking.. When i hit the starter it sounds like something's coming from the bottom end ..? Not sure

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should note there was NOT any smoke or leaking when this all happened which leads me to think its not engine failure but then again if i really knew what was going on this most likely wouldn't have happened... Anyway anyone have any ball park prices for these things considering least amount to most expensive and what would those be thank again all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your hoping for a miracle and aren't going to get it. I'll be realistic with you, not being there or seeing or hearing the engine, I can tell you this. If you have problems shifting and have metal shavings or chunks and lack of oil, you have a major problem, busted gears, basket, who knows, but I know it won't be cheap. Sorry to hear bad things on your first bike, but lesson learned I guess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the low oil pressure light was coming on and you rode it. not the best idea. sounds like shes locked up.. with the spark plugs removed turn off the gas and spin the engine over. will it spin freely bleeding the compression through the plug holes. 2nd with the spark plugs out put it in gear. let out the clutch and see if it rolls. it will be a little harder to roll than in neutral but with the plugs out it should spin over. when you do this if the back tire drags engine is lockep up. pull pan and check further. good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damm

Yea i am looking for a miracle and i know just from what I've been told im screwed.. But im trying to lighten up about it , its all i think about and its driving me insane i cant get it to a shop for at least another week my work schedule is really crazy right now but i know i usually plan on the worst but pray for the best im beating myself up over it knowing i should have checked/ changed my oil sooner that whats so upsetting i mean i can deal with it being anything but my engine.. It just clicks and wont turn not a dead battery click just a odd noise .. Anyone know if i can post video or audio ?
Thanks again to all who replied

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shredder, thank you for a detailed reply and your knowledge in this matter i will give that a try tomorrow after work sound 5pm and i will post my findings .
Thanks again your post was what i was looking for lol everyone seems pretty cut-throat with the worst case scenario ..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yea i am looking for a miracle and i know just from what I've been told im screwed.. But im trying to lighten up about it , its all i think about and its driving me insane i cant get it to a shop for at least another week my work schedule is really crazy right now but i know i usually plan on the worst but pray for the best im beating myself up over it knowing i should have checked/ changed my oil sooner that whats so upsetting i mean i can deal with it being anything but my engine.. It just clicks and wont turn not a dead battery click just a odd noise .. Anyone know if i can post video or audio ?
Thanks again to all who replied
hey man i understand your on edge about it but your right. lighten up. its just iron. anything metal can be fixed. look at it this way you paid 800 for the bike. I have more money in a tv than that. lol worse case if engine is smoked and is to expensive to fix you found this one for eight hundred. u may just luck out again; best of luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"spin the engine over. will it spin freely bleeding the compression through the plug holes."
Dont mean to sound like a complete idiot but when you say spin the engine do you mean the tire? Im a noob i mean i do know some things and terms but can you elaborate a little more? And I will see something moving where the plugs would be when I remove them? ...
Thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
no use the starter like you would normally. what your checking for is when the plugs are in the engine the pistons build compression. with plugs removed it dosent build compression because the air is escaping through the plug hole during compresion stroke. when an engine goes into a compression stroke it takes more power from the battery and the starter due to current draw from the resistance of the engine. all your basically doing is making the engine not have to work to spin over(very little resistance for battery and starter at this point)
if it doesent spin over with the plugs out and chargered battery that means something has welded together. rod bearing, piston rings, cam bearings etc. at that point major engine work is required. probly cost more than you paid for the bike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reply to shredder

Oh I get it now i will try tomorrow, and yea if it comes to that i guess ill just sell it to someone who wants it as a project or part it out either way if i can get al least half of what i paid ill be ok i guess , and your right about what you said eariler i should just relax after all it was my first used bike for under a grand i did get the " summer " out of it after all plus i bought it with last years tax money and with the winter coming it makes it that much easier to not dredd on it i guess ill use January's tax money towards a better bigger bike like a 600 i will say i did learn really quick and have gotten myself out of sticky situations pretty well you know the aholes who pull out in front of you because they think they can beat you in traffic etc etc.. But yea thanks for that man i fell 50% better lol i will update my findings

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didnt get to it like I planned it was my G/F bday I almost forgot had to throw together last minute dinner plans lol , im messing up lately.
I wanted to do it today (Sunday) but ive been called into work and money talks if im going to get it fix if its worth it.
Im off on Tuesday and will not Leave my driveway until I know whats wrong .
I've wrestled with a few options ..
- Store it in the basement ( I did this before) and work on it throughout the winter its almost time to put it away up here in Boston anyway we get crazy unpredictable weather up here all the time if its something I can handle.
-Store it save up until spring bring it to a shop and let them fix it again if its worth it.
- Sell it on CL and let someone whos into repair bike buy it but i will end up taking a hit on what I want to get for it.
-Part it out.
- have a shop look at it now and determine if its worth fixing and fix it now .

I was planning on getting a bigger newer bike anyway and giving my g/f this one to learn to ride on she wants to ride but if its not worth fixing we agreed to cut my losses.

Plus I know its just a 250 but It was my first bike and i I love it and done some things on it myself I would love to keep it if the price is right for it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks again and sorry for the long post you have been a Huge help Shredder and thank you for your ongoing concern I will deff. Update Tuesday

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
TBH,
Do the pull the plugs test explained earlier first, Hell if the motor is fried you should be able to pick up a motor from a wrecked bike for cheap, and use your (If needed) Left and right side motor covers (If the wrecked motors covers are thrashed) and swap the motor in yourself. easy fix

1 - 20 of 36 Posts