Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is going to start riding in the Spring and wants a 250 to get her started. Thats good by me, but I think she'll get bored with it quickly and want to move up. I was thinking an 03/04 636 would fit her pretty well. Is that overkill for a new rider?

Thanks everybody!!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It's fine for a new rider. However, you may want to think about the Ninja 650R. It's got more of an upright seating position, with a lower seat height so she'll be a lot more comfortable with it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
2003-2004? for your wife!??!!insanity

better of with a 2005-2006, cause theyre less of brutes...but still insane,!!!
women can barely drive a car...(sorry ladies...but i am aware some of you are very talented; in that case disgregard) let alone drive a bike...
make her start easy, gauge her reflexes, instincs, panic reactions...then move on.

if she gets bored great, move up. I even think im an idiot cause i bought this ( got a 2004) after having a scooter and a motocross before!!!
take care of your missus

·
Registered
409 Posts
Don't get her a bike she wont be scared of. If she gets a 250 she will lose respesct for the power of a sportbike and the first real superbike she sits on she'll be on the pavement. IMO

·
Registered
380 Posts
i have an 06 ex250 that i use for work and i have a blast riding it. going through the short gears makes it feel like your going really fast! plus i get about 60mpg and i kneedragged on it a couple of times! lol people were amazed by it. if you know how to appreciate things, then youll have a lot of fun!

·
Registered
380 Posts
My wife had a 250 for about 3 months. I insisted that she start on it but she did get bored. It did it's job well though. Taught her some of the instincts and reflexes etc and now she just wants something faster (and more modern looking). We bought it used and sold it for $100 more than our otd price. If you do get her one but think she'll want to be aggressive and move up, I say used. Just my opinion though...

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by urymoto
2003-2004? for your wife!??!!insanity

better of with a 2005-2006, cause theyre less of brutes...but still insane,!!!
women can barely drive a car...(sorry ladies...but i am aware some of you are very talented; in that case disgregard) let alone drive a bike...
make her start easy, gauge her reflexes, instincs, panic reactions...then move on.
A-FUCKING-MEN!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Don't get her a 600 as a first bike, jesus christ. Think about how you are going to feel when she is trying to manuver in a parking lot and she loses her balance and the bike falls on her and you have to help her get it up.

Get her a 250 for fvcks sake. It will not be as expensive if she dumps it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I was unclear. She's definitely starting on a 250. I know how she is and in 2 months she'll want something bigger. So my question is, *then* what?

Thanks everybody.

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by jckelsey
I guess I was unclear. She's definitely starting on a 250. I know how she is and in 2 months she'll want something bigger. So my question is, *then* what?
simple. tell her to keep riding it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
get her a ex 500 shit I think a 250 is to small cuz yea she'll get board of it quick but with an 500 she should be good for a while well I think. but shit my first bike is a 06 636 And I tell you I wish I started on somthing smaller to get the feel of it but i got it now still need more practice. so 600 I vote no specaly for a lady.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would personally recommend the Suzuki SV650. It's a great starter bike and a great track tool too for all - advanced and beginners alike. I had the 1/2 faired version and absolutely loved it. It had gobbs of torque and enough user friendly power to satisfy just about anyone. The aftermarket for these bikes are amazing too. You can find just about anything and for a good deal if you do some searching. I really miss her and would actually pick her over the 6rr for everyday commuting duties. I think too that it wouldn't be a bad idea to start her on it instead of going the 250 route first. It's the kinda bike that won't bite back and is pretty forgiving in regards to rider error. You can't go wrong with it. ;)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Personally i would start her off on a dirt bike. You relly get a feel how to handle unexpected situations, abrupt lose of traction, stopping in less that pristine conditions and how to handle it in all these situations. But thats just my opinion, i started there and got on a sport bike granted they handle completeley different but its the same concept and IMO the situations that come up on a dirt transfer to the street as far as keeping cool and rational reactions and not freaking out. However if you do get a bike a V-TWIN would be the best bet. It has a lot of power but a different delivery, so the power is there but it just wont accellerate like a sport bike. Once she gets used to that and fells comfortable with it, move up in the ranks and get something bigger. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Originally posted by sakura
I would personally recommend the Suzuki SV650. It's a great starter bike and a great track tool too for all - advanced and beginners alike. I had the 1/2 faired version and absolutely loved it. It had gobbs of torque and enough user friendly power to satisfy just about anyone. The aftermarket for these bikes are amazing too. You can find just about anything and for a good deal if you do some searching. I really miss her and would actually pick her over the 6rr for everyday commuting duties. I think too that it wouldn't be a bad idea to start her on it instead of going the 250 route first. It's the kinda bike that won't bite back and is pretty forgiving in regards to rider error. You can't go wrong with it. ;)
[:+1]

·
Registered
692 Posts
if she wants a 250 get her the ex500 still a nub bike with a little bit of power and slow turning capabilitys..

·
Registered
84 Posts
As a female, that rides a 250, I would say definitely start her on one of them. I have had my 250 for over a year now, and it was great to learn on. I admit that after a couple months it always felt lacking in power on the straights, but I am a pretty aggressive rider, and still have a good time on it. It will be worth it to learn on a smaller bike, she won't be so overwhelmed. Plus, she will probably drop it (not probably, she will)and plastics for a 600 are a lot more $$ than for a 250. Also, if you spend a lot on a 600 for her she will probably get all psyched out and nervous about putting scratches on a pretty bike. I bought the 250 for $900 and can easily get that when I sell it this spring (or whenever I find a good deal on a 600). Now I ride the hubbys 03 636. I have a blast on it, but think it would be very overwhelming for someone that has never driven a bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't jump her (or any beginner) to a 600. I think the 500 is a good starter bike, she shouldn't get bored as quick as the 250.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.