Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peoples,

I'm in MD, and I'm the proud new owner of a '02 ZX6R.

I just a few questions, with more to come..

About how many miles to you get on a full tank?

What is the deal with tiring worming? 've been told you need to work your tires first? Like I said, brand new rider so I have to clue about the little basic things I should know.

Anyhelp would be great.

Jij

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You reminded me that I need gas today, thanks :)

I have an '01 and I have made it up to 160 without switching over to reserve...I usually fill up at about 135 though just to be safe...Tire warming? It's a good idea in the winter especially. This is done by accelerating and braking before hitting the corners pretty hard. Most riders usually wait about 20 minutes into a ride to really start heating up the pavement (if they are smart). Word of advice, just be careful, go slow(ish) and watch out for cagers...

Is this your first bike?

·
Registered
493 Posts
tires cant grip to thier potential unless warmed up to thier proper operating temp. to warm up my tires in the twistys i start slowly picking up the pace for the first few minutes. just slightly increasing lean angles through each turn. if your riding hard, warming your tires is very important. not to bash dezixxer but accelerating and braking will not put the sides of your tire in contact with the ground which is how tires warm up, you need to get the tire on pavement to thoroughly warm it up.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
if u have brand new tires they need to be riden on pretty carefully because they're supposed to be pretty slippery. my dealer said put about 400kms on them before throwing the bike around corners. after that just do what drumannewman said

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
actually hard accelerating and stopping can help to a small degree by flexing the sidewalls thus help heating up some...

but I agree that you should progressively increase you leans angles...

normally what I do is progressive increase my lean agle and progressly accelerating harder out of the turns...seems to almost garantee me that my tires are getting up to temp..plus you can guage traction by progressively accelerating harder until you feel the rear slip...gives some idea how things are going....little harder to test your front end ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AHHHHHH

I just wrote a freaking page and it got deleted cause I forgot to put in my screen name and password!

Ok ok...Let's try again...AHHH

ISo 130-140 is about the right mileage per fillup? Sounds good. I kept pushing about 150s but that's probably cause I wasn't riding hard. Wait, who am I kidding. I hit 123mph on 270 N in Rockville, MD this past Tuesday. Stupid, no?

DEZixxer, this is my first bike.

I bought it used, from Florida, it was shipped to me. Promised to work great, and then I find out I need about $800 to clean the carbs, change the master cylinder, change the starter switch, change the main wiring harness and have it pass inspection in MD. So total cost was about $5300. But after that, as of now anyways, it rides nice. I I have a Yoshima exhaust, integrated clear tail light, and front flush mount signals. The entire front is redone with aftermarket cowlings and fairings.
I'll try to put a pick of it up. It was on ebay, so some of you might have seen it.

Anyways, thanks for the replies, and I promise to keep my next posts short and to the point. I guess since I just found out about this forum and the fact that my love my bike is shared among all of you really got me excited.

Back to work...but only for 5 minutes...

Jij

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi,
Sweet, i just got an 02 ninja jsut a couple days ago too. And its yellow =). I was reading the post and notice that you have to guess when you are running out of gas. I wish there was a indicator for low gas. But when i bought and picked up the bike, i ride it home after completely topping off the fuel, i managed to get about 170 miles before the engine started to sputter after that i filled her up even before switching to reserve.

YellowNinja

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.