Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got some extra cash this week and treated myself to some new riding gear. I picked up the following items:

-HJC FS-10 Helmet Matte Black (This helmet ROCKS!!!)
-Icon Team Merc Stage 3 Jacket in Blue
-Alpinestars S-MX Air Carbon Gloves in Black

I have wanted the HJC FS-10 helmet since it was first released. In my opinion it is the best designed helmet for the everyday street rider. I love the sun shield is awesome and I love not having to wear my sunglasses with my helmet and having to pull over to put them away when the sun goes down. With the FS-10 I can just hit the switch and the sun shield is gone. It is very well built and a quality helmet with very good ventilation. Worth every penny.

The jacket is very comfortable and has plenty of protection where it's needed. I also love the way it looks.

The Alpinestar gloves rock, with plenty of ventilation and palm padding to making riding my bike alot more comfortable. I am a big fan of the carbon fiber knuckle protectors as well. Every pair of gloves I have had all had carbon fiber knuckle protection. The index and middle fingers has grip on them to make using your clutch and brake levers a piece of cake and more precise.

Hope this was posted in the right place. I am just excited about all my new riding gear so I figured I would post my opinions and experiences with it. If anyone would like pictures of everything just let me know and I will snap some with my Digi Cam.

-Matt

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hope you don't mind me giving my opinions on gear in your thread here.

Personally I used to ride with short gloves like that when I first started riding. I also had a KBC helmet and Teknic textile jacket. After going down and hitting nothing, just sliding, i was not happy with how everything held up and protected me. My wrist got road rash because the gloves were short, my jacket ripped and I got rash on my elbow because the textile didnt slide well and my arm moved around a lot inside causing burn. And my helmet had no signs of dissipating the crash force (though the forces were not too high).

After that I wear only full gauntlet gloves (AStar GP pro and GP tech) and leather jacket (Astar again) with a Shoei X-11 helmet which I found to be better ventilated AND lighter than the KBC.

Im not trying to diss your choices, just telling you why I no longer ride with the same kind of gear. I do like to look of the stuff you got though. I am not a fan of HJC but that is just me (having owned a few as backups.)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you don't mind me giving my opinions on gear in your thread here.

Personally I used to ride with short gloves like that when I first started riding. I also had a KBC helmet and Teknic textile jacket. After going down and hitting nothing, just sliding, i was not happy with how everything held up and protected me. My wrist got road rash because the gloves were short, my jacket ripped and I got rash on my elbow because the textile didnt slide well and my arm moved around a lot inside causing burn. And my helmet had no signs of dissipating the crash force (though the forces were not too high).

After that I wear only full gauntlet gloves (AStar GP pro and GP tech) and leather jacket (Astar again) with a Shoei X-11 helmet which I found to be better ventilated AND lighter than the KBC.

Im not trying to diss your choices, just telling you why I no longer ride with the same kind of gear. I do like to look of the stuff you got though. I am not a fan of HJC but that is just me (having owned a few as backups.)
Trust me the HJC FS-10 Helmet is built very well. I went down on my bike with the cheaper model HJC and it saved my head. I agree all other HJC helmets arent worth it and have horrible ventilation, this is not the case with the FS-10. I did alot of research and the FS-10 was the helmet for me and had all the options I was looking for in a helmet.

The Icon jacket fits fine and I havent had any problems with textile jackets and neither have any of the other guys I ride with. Plus living in Florida in the summer time leather is not an option for short rides. Now if I were to go on a long cruise on highways I would wear leather.

I considered gauntlet gloves but for the street riding I do I like the short gloves and again when I went down on my bike I didnt have any road rash on my wrist. For now I am happy with the gear I got and I am not having any second thoughts.

Thanks for your input though. I definitely did my research before purchasing my gear and everyone I know who has been riding longer than me all agreed with my choices.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear. Don't forget to gear up under the waist :).
That is next. I didnt like the options they had at the local dealership so I will be ordering some bottoms online I just havent decided on which ones to go with yet. For now I always wear jeans when I ride even though it is hot as hell here. lol. I have went down in the same pair of jeans I wear now and I had no road rash and a few bruises but that is all.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have went down in the same pair of jeans I wear now and I had no road rash and a few bruises but that is all.
:eek: What kind of jeans were you wearing?!?! And how fast were you going? I went down at like 15mph and my jeans ripped open on impact it seems like.

·
Registered
460 Posts
:eek: What kind of jeans were you wearing?!?! And how fast were you going? I went down at like 15mph and my jeans ripped open on impact it seems like.
what kind of jeans were YOU wearing? Tight ones? I think guys style jeans have a bit more leeway (sp)/give in them so MAYBE they could sustain a fall better? I dunno tho...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bullhead jeans. They dont show any signs of the crash, just one small patch was torn from my chapstick being in my pocket. I was doing about 25mph when I hit the ground. They are loose fitting jeans.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a link to the pictures. I havent resized them which is why I wont link each one here. It will just take longer for the thread to load. They are hosted on my personal website. Here is the link:

WARNING. NOT 56K friendly. They are large but you can really see all the details on the items.
http://www.subaru-performance.org/pics/

·
Registered
356 Posts
Here is a link to the pictures. I havent resized them which is why I wont link each one here. It will just take longer for the thread to load. They are hosted on my personal website. Here is the link:

WARNING. NOT 56K friendly. They are large but you can really see all the details on the items.
http://www.subaru-performance.org/pics/
For future use... ;)

Windows XP Image Resizer (look in the right-hand column for "ImageResizer.exe")
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Vista Image Resizer
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No PC here bro. I use a MAC. I just uploaded them in a matter of minutes. I plan to resize them tomorrow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the roads finally dried up after a long day of rain today. I am still amazed at how much air flow I get inside my new helmet even with the shield closed!!! I can actually breath!!! It actually feels like a jet fighter helmet with how its set up. There is more than enough air flow coming through and keep my head nice and cool. My old HJC would fog up and I could barely breath with the shield closed. The FS-10 is the mac daddy helmet from HJC.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 19 of 19 Posts