Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, got on the forum last week asking about a missing key for a bike that was up on auction and turns out i got it. 05 250 with 1339 miles for $1601. Posted a question on the thread about the fork being bent and the best way to go about fixing it. I found a used fork online with no damage from the same bike that would obviously work, but I was wondering if there was an upgrade I could make rather than just replace it with OEM parts. thanks for any input. heres a link to some pictures if you care to take a look
http://www.crashedtoys.com/ClosedItem.asp?StockNumber=CT06-531&

·
Registered
126 Posts
without significant modification the best you can do it stock tubes with cartridge emulators. a good (and much cheaper) alternative would be to upgrade the springs in stock tubes. either way stick with stock tubes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in response to my own question, i found a full fork on ebay as well as the rim, tire, and rotor for 250 plus shipping, im pretty sure its a good deal but let me know what you all think

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check out Race Tech for the cartridge emulators. The springs you can get from Race Tech or Sonic Springs. Race Tech has a nice spring rate calculator on their website to help you figure out what rate you need.

Congrats on getting the bike. If you need any help or are looking for someone to ride with when you get it up and running, just shoot me a message, I'm right here in Duluth. Oh, and go check out www.ninja250.com if you haven't already. There is alot of good, useful info there for repairing your new ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i'll check out those springs. don't know if i'll be riding in duluth till the spring. I'm planning on spending winter break in the basement working on the bike. that other forum is pretty useful too. hows the riding in duluth? i'd imagine it gets a lot better once you get outa the city

·
Registered
52 Posts
The riding in Duluth is alright, but alot of the road surfaces kinda suck. It's much better once you get out of town. There are alot of great places to ride up the shore and cross country though superior national forest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
true true, i rode bike a lot up the scenic, thats a nice ride on a bicycle, but I could see riding up in the superior national forest would be good. Im originally from around the ely area and I know how much I like to drive hwy 4 and 1 to and from duluth, seems like an awsome place to ride, especially in the fall. got a hold of some flush mount signals, a new windscreen, and a clutch lever. along the fork and rim all I need now is the key and to start working... could i get it done this fall maybe...?

·
Registered
28 Posts
it will be nice when done but 1600 for that? are you crazy....salvage means worthless pretty much....the parts and paint and all that will rape you man im saying you end up spending 23-2500 to make everything right you coulda just bought an older one or even a newer one for 2500 with a clean title....but hey mines layed with a clean title ...i just bent my clutch pedal back

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
call it crazy or whatever you care to, I bought the bike because it was a new model year, has reasonably low mileage, I can repair most of the repairs that aren't cosmetic, and anything that is cosmetic I don't care to fix. I've never really ridden and I bought the bike to learn to ride, never really been that concerned with how flashy my bike looks or how it makes others look at me, just how it runs. never even intended to repair anything that wouldn't affect the bike's safety and performance. sorry if you think its crazy, im just living on a college budget and trying to own a bike at the same time.

oh and KiwiNinja, thanks for the suggestion on the new rubber, the tires that are on the bike aren't bad, plus the new rim and fork i have on order has a newer tire on it as well. thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.