Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 Ninja 250 two years ago and rode it mostly without problems. I put it the a garage for the off season. When i got it out to start the new season the battery had died. This has happened both years I've had it. Is this normal?

I charged the battery and the bike will turn over, but it won't actually start. All the lights come on, the oil appears to be at the right level, and I have the choke in the correct position. This has happened frequently. I took it to the shop last year and he said my battery was bad. $250 later i had a new battery and the same problems.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I bought a 2005 Ninja 250 two years ago and rode it mostly without problems. I put it the a garage for the off season. When i got it out to start the new season the battery had died. This has happened both years I've had it. Is this normal?

I charged the battery and the bike will turn over, but it won't actually start. All the lights come on, the oil appears to be at the right level, and I have the choke in the correct position. This has happened frequently. I took it to the shop last year and he said my battery was bad. $250 later i had a new battery and the same problems.

Any Ideas?
Did you put fuel stabilizer in your gas tank? Did you have a battery tender hooked up to your bike all winter long? Did you change your oil before you put it away for winter storage? Just a few things to think about and let us know to help you out.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
$250 is piracy for a new battery. If you are going to let something sit like that for that long you should be hooking it up to a battery tender. They can be had for $30, and keep your battery in good shape until you are ready to ride again.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
improper winter storage will result in a poor or non-running condition every time. your carb float bowls are most likely full of crap and the pilot jets are most definitely clogged. spray some starting flue into your carbs while cranking the bike. if it fires and runs for a few seconds you know you have a carburettion problem.

you'll need to pull your carbs off and clean them. drain the old fuel from your fuel tank and replace it with new fuel.

next winter stabilize the fuel(full tank of fuel to prevent the tank from rusting inside), remove the battery from the bike and put it on a battery tender/trickle charger. and drain your float bowls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts