Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done this on my 6RR - I fitted a 14T front instead of the 15T. The bike is way overgeared as stock and changing the front has made the bike more responsive. Top speed really shouldn't be affected at all I think as the stock bike is geared for over 180mph. This is a $25 modification and you can use the stock chain. Well worth doing

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a new 636 and I'm considering changing either the front sprocket down one tooth, or up two teeth in the rear. I've read a decent amount about this topic on this forum, but not sure if people would have the same opinion about doing this to a 636. So what do you think? Would it be worth it? What's the downside (besides maybe a little top-speed)? Should I change the front sprocket or rear? And has anyone with a '03-ZX done this?

thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hey Gabe, I've got a jack for my bike that you can use if you decide to change your sprocket. Makes it real easy since you can jack the bike up to about chest height to work on it. And I'll only charge ya $50 a day:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Chris, but I think I can handle a spocket change without a jack. :D But if I take on a bigger project in the future, I know who to call... ha, ha.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't have a 636 but I did go to a 14t front and the change on my bike was dramatic.I could not belive how much it changed the feel of the bike first gear is very jumpy,and I feel the bike wrap back down heavier when I let off the throttle in gear.there has been a couple of times where i almost looped it.I would say don't put it off for another minute.I have even heard of guy's who do both like six up and one down...crazy.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I got mine from Denniskirk.Com. I live on the East Coast adn it took about 4 days.

Great Mod!!! I would eb willing to say the best mod you can do especially for the price. The change is so easy and fast to perform, I went from stock 40 to a 42 adn only got to ride for about 45 minutes before more rain rolled into Pittsburgh (been raining off and on for weeks now, I almost hate this place even though I grew up here).

PGH, PA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, but I checked out that website and they don't have any for the '03s yet??? Same problem I'm running into with other companies.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
i ordered mine through my dealer. it came in after i wrecked my bike so my buddy bought it for his 98, and it fit. morale of this story just order one for a 98 zx6r.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone changed the front sprocket down one on the stock 525 chain? So far every sprocket ive seen for an '03 is on a 520 chain.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have done both i fisrt went +2 in the rear i liked then i also went -1 in the front thought it might have been good for of the the throttle wheelies and don't like it, bike revs to like 8K in first in no time then it feels like it makes no more power just keeps reving, but go +2 in the rear or even +3 bike stays really smooth on the throttle still and revs hard to the red line in 6th stay away from the front unless your stunting and just play with the rear..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by barnes
I have done both i fisrt went +2 in the rear i liked then i also went -1 in the front thought it might have been good for of the the throttle wheelies and don't like it, bike revs to like 8K in first in no time then it feels like it makes no more power just keeps reving, but go +2 in the rear or even +3 bike stays really smooth on the throttle still and revs hard to the red line in 6th stay away from the front unless your stunting and just play with the rear..
Going down one in front is the same as going up three in back. But the stock chain will not fit a +3t rear sprocket.

The 2003+ bike comes with size 520 chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an 03 636 and changed both my font and rear. 1 down in front 2 up in back. Love frist pulls up soo easy now. i recommend it just do to ur local bike shop. Your speedo will be off but oh well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.