Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a 14 tooth front sprocket over the weekend, and when I got everything back together, the bike didn't ride right at all. There was a TON of vibration in the footpegs. I know the engine runs at higher RPMs at any given speed, but I'm not talking about that (and it should be marginal with only a 1 tooth difference, anyway, right?). I'm talking about intense vibrations anywhere from 4-8K (didn't go any higher than that) that seemed to be coming from somewhere around the back wheel. Also, when I pull in the clutch at speed (40+), the bike makes this crazy loud whining noise.... Any suggestions? I took it back home and checked everything out. Thought maybe I had tightened the rear axle nut too much, so I backed it off 2 holes. That seemed to help a little, but its still a lot louder than normal. The castle nut is still pretty tight, but I don't have a torque wrench to check it. For that matter, I don't even have a clue what its supposed to be tightened to anyway. Anybody know? I put the front sprocket on with an impact wrench and pretty much let it go until it wasn't tightening up anymore. Other stuff that might be relevant: When I replaced the rear caliper, I tightened those bolts TIGHT... pretty much as tight as I could get them, b/c it looked like there was some loctite on 'em when they came out the first time. Anyway, as soon as I noticed the vibrations, I pulled over and checked everything out. The rear disc was HOT, probably 2-3x as hot as the fronts, and I didn't even use it at all from what I remember. Funny thing is, the bike didn't seem to try to slow down any more than normal when I pulled in the clutch, so I'm can't imagine the rear pads are rubbing (plenty of pad left too...). Another thing: when I took the rear axle out, the spacer from between the wheel and the caliper bracket came out and landed on the garage floor... I checked it out pretty quick before I stuck it back it, and it looked fine. There was a little dirt on it, but I didn't wipe it all off b/c I didn't have any grease to re-coat it. Think it may have been a little too dirty, and thats where the noise is coming from? Crazy, i guess, but I'm just trying to cover all the bases. Unrelated, but the stock front sprocket had a little bit of oil on the back of it when I pulled it out too...Normal? Chain slack seems alright, maybe just a hair too tight, but it still slacks at least an inch. I could just be fooling myself on all this since I wasn't too sure about changing the sprocket myself, but it seemed pretty straightforward. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I dropped my bike for the first time last night too. [V] Just fell right over on the asphalt. No frame sliders, either. Nothing got broken, but it definitely put some scratches in my nice green paint, damnit.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
just check out your REAR caliper bracket and make sure it is seated properly,,,that thing is a pain in the ass to get back on right..being in the slot for it, had something similiar to what you are saying the Pads were pressing on the rotor, causing some serious drag and actually scarred my rotor up a little.

just dropping one tooth shouldnt bother anything else if you impacted the nut on, hopefully you didnt use the transmission to prevent the back wheel from spinning?

other wise just go step by step over what you did, see if the back wheel spins freely in Nuetral when off the ground as that may solve your problems...lube the chain as well..crusty chains never helped anyone...
Thats why i did the +2 rear..dropped some unsprung weight and no tight corners on the chin..

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I don't recall there being a slot for the caliper bracket...? Any chance of some pics?

Hypothetically speaking, of course, what would happen if I DID use the trans to keep it from spinning? Which I didn't... I mean, what kind of numb nuts would do that? [:M51] I rode it probably 30 or 40 miles after the install and the trans seemed ok I guess. Shifting hard, but hell, its a kawi.

Back wheel spins freely in neutral, too...

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
funny as the kawasaki's weak link has always been the transmission..
yeah on the rear caliper, it is attached to a bracket (the carrier)
and that carrier if you look at it has to be fitted onto a slot which is what keeps it seat and from spinning over with the rotor as it grabs, it can be installed wrong..
Sorry man no picks for you as i am not with my bike..:(

just check the free spinning on your back wheel and see if there is any issues..
also listen and see if the chain is binding..posibility

·
Powerhungry
38,146 Posts
is it possible u got the wrong front sprocket? meaning for a dif size chain. stock urs was a 520. also go back and put the ORIGINAL sprocket back on. do everything else the same. see if the problem still exists.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks... I thought about that, but the package it came in says "meets all OEM specifications" so I don't think thats my problem... anybody else got any suggestions?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey JDGun... thanks for the advice. Went home and checked out the carrier bracket and sure enough, it wasn't mounted correctly. The whole bracket was actually sitting on top of the piece that sticks out of the inside of the swingarm. Didn't figure I was going to be doing much braking in reverse, so I left it that way and went for a short ride. Going to fix it as soon as possible, though. Hope that's the problem. Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
yeah your symptons sounded to be that little culprit..

if i didnt do a dry run (on the stand fre spin) after the 1st removal & install on my bike i would of had the same issue..

Just glad i could help you out man, kawasaki didnt make it so easy to get the rim back in with that setup...my RC51 is about the same way....A Pain in the ass

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for jollies, does anybody know the torque specs for the rear axle nut and caliper mount screws?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey ApinBama! lol i went throught the same thing i went -1 +3 and same noise and vibes heres the culprit, The aftermarket front sprocket doesnt have the rubber cushion that the stock one has!! go take a look for yourself and you will see the difference! I took it to the shop pulled it off and put it back and that was where the whining was coming from. I have been 1 month with this setup and ridin all over the place road trips etc etc and no problems whatsoever. I actually like it now ppl keep thinkin its turbo or something.....and then I kill them off the line! good luck.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome... excellent info. I never would have thought about that. Thanks for the help. How difficult was it to put the rubber piece on the aftermarket sprocket?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.