Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mounting a new pilot power tire tomorrow, along with new sprockets and chains. Is there a break in time for either the tire or the chain? Or can I just lube the chain, take a 15 minute cruise down the highway to get any crap off the tire, and ride like normal?

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
The tire will be slick at first, take it easy for a 100 miles or so until you get it scrubbed in. The powers are pretty sticky off the rack though so I don't think it will be a big deal. There isn't a break in period for chains/sprockets that I know of. I would just take it easy initially to get used to the different gearing (I don't know how much you changed it)and make sure it was installed properly. The chain will stretch though after awhile. I was told to adjust mine after like 100 miles, but it took about 1000 miles to really notice a difference. There should be a little slack in the chain (check your manual), and I hear a chain that is too loose is better than a chain that is too tight, so you might want to keep that in mind. Are you doing the work yourself? What chain/sprocket you going with? Good Luck.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
For the chain, no; for the tire, YES. Give it a few heat cycles and a good amount of scrubbing in before you push it...about 200 miles or so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm doing a 520 conversion, with a -1 up front. Nothing drastic, just enough to make it a little more interesting. I'll take it easy with the tire for a while. A 100 or 200 miles doesn't seem to bad since I won't really be riding hard until my favorite roads get cleared up (flooded [V]) But thanks for the advice, and I'll definately be mindful of the tire.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'd be careful on you fav road if it's currently flooded. It will most likely be slick even after it's cleared off, since all that water will leave a slippery film on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I don't plan on riding on there for a while. Most of it is under 5 to 8 feet of water right now. And who knows what is even left of the road. Tried to go check out its condition (bout 5 mins from my house) but the national guard has it blocked off, even to pedestrian traffic. Third time in two years, and they say global warming isn't an issue [:eek:)]

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i put bout 50 miles on my pilot's before i started pushing it hard. they just need to be scuffed. chain and sprocket needs nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.