Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey -

Anyone else had a careless tire installer ruin the lip on their SE Rims, or even just on their standard rims?

I needed some new tires, so I took my wheels off, took them to a local shop and bought some new Pilot Powers and had them install them. When I went to put them back on they had put the Rear tire on in the wrong direction! So I took it back this morning and had them re-install it. When they handed it back to me, the tire was installed correctly, but one side of my rear rim had two pretty good size gouges out of the Red paint, which was obviously due to the tire machine, and obviously noticeable. Also, where they had removed the wheel weights (twice now, since they had to install and balance twice now) the paint was all scratched off.

So I am still waiting to hear back from the GM of the store, to see what it is they are going to do about it.

Is it too much to ask that they buy me a new RIM?
I am not really pissed, but I am super dissappointed since my rims were perfect b4 bringing them in. I guess I might start to get pissed though if they blow me off on this.

T

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I'd sure be pissed! They better get you a new rim too! Dumbfucks, who do these places get to do mechanic work?! Do they not care or take their time doing anything? :( Damn, I sound like it happened to me, huh? Oh well, hope it works out and they replace it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update -

They are saying that there is nothing that they can do about wheel weight removal scratching paint, which I understand, but at the same time I DO think that they could be removed without scratching it. I mean, hell, I would have removed the damn wheel weights myself if I would have known. At least if I scratched it myself, I could have lived with it.

As far as the two scratches to the lip of the wheel, they said that they cannot buy me a new wheel b/c it is $600. So they are offering to have it re-painted. Which means that I won't be able to ride for another week! I do not even know if I want to deal with re-painting or not either, I mean, it may not look right.

This sucks. This kind of sh** always happens to me.

BTW - Not to sound racist or byassed in anyway, the guy that f'd it up was a little wet on the back. He even tried to lie in front of me and his manager (in broken english) that it was like that already b4 he worked on it.

T

·
Registered
937 Posts
This is my fear here next week when my new tires come in. Luckly I have a good shop right down the street that is doing the install, however I plan on standing there watching their every move! (even more so now after reading this)[xx(]

G

·
havent seen one shop here where they let u go to the back and watch what they do. if possible, its definitely a good idea.

about the rim, if its not THAT bad i would just live with it. who knows if the paint will match when they "fix" it. yes it sucks. let them know they lost a customer due to their negligence (might have to bring a translator :D) and take it somewhere else next time.

[:ShitHappens] to all of us

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another Update -

They just called me back and said they ordered me a new wheel and that it will be in next week.

That is how you retain customers!
I will continue to shop there as this is my first experience with this place since I just moved there. Although unfortunate for me to deal with it, and them for having to eat the cost of a new wheel. At least from now on, they will probably take a little more care when working on peoples stuff, and I will make sure to remind them to take extra care the next time I need new tires.

Wes, when you go to get your new tires, tell them that:

These wheels are NOT powder coated, they are painted and will scratch easily and that you will expect to get your wheels back in the condition that you brought them in. I would especially emphasize that they should be extra time in carefully removing the existing weights and when installing the new ones, b/c you do not want scratches if it can be prevented.

T

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Good looking out man! Glad they're taking care of you.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Will do man! Glad to hear your deal worked out and they were willing to get you a new wheel. They would NEVER be able to match that paint on the rims exact. :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would have been pissed too man. Glad it worked out for you! More places need to understand that if they break it, they bought it lol, If it goes in new, it comes out new!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
How DO you remove the old wheel weight sticky from the rim? My tire shop just left it on for me to deal with. Is there any easy way to go about it?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by togles
Update -

They are saying that there is nothing that they can do about wheel weight removal scratching paint, which I understand, but at the same time I DO think that they could be removed without scratching it. I mean, hell, I would have removed the damn wheel weights myself if I would have known. At least if I scratched it myself, I could have lived with it.

As far as the two scratches to the lip of the wheel, they said that they cannot buy me a new wheel b/c it is $600. So they are offering to have it re-painted. Which means that I won't be able to ride for another week! I do not even know if I want to deal with re-painting or not either, I mean, it may not look right.

This sucks. This kind of sh** always happens to me.

BTW - Not to sound racist or byassed in anyway, the guy that f'd it up was a little wet on the back. He even tried to lie in front of me and his manager (in broken english) that it was like that already b4 he worked on it.

T
Well, it was not the Mexican's fault - it is the people that hired him.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by Agustin
How DO you remove the old wheel weight sticky from the rim? My tire shop just left it on for me to deal with. Is there any easy way to go about it?
i used denatured alcohol to take the left over residue off my rim,
a quart is only a couple bucks at walmart in the house paint section
it will eat off aerosol paint but i have never had any problem with factory paint comming off.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by xtremewlr
togles, what shop is this? I ask since I am in San Diego too.
ALBA in Poway. But I want to emphasize that I am not trying to be negative in anyway to them regarding this post. Everyone there has been really cool, and I will continue to go there. This was just an unfortunate incident. Most motorcycle dealers and shops that you go to, people are not that friendly or helpful. That is not the case with ALBA, its a great store.

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm only a lurker here. And the only Kawasaki I've ever owned was a 250R. But I just thought you all should know....3 weeks ago, I took my SV to Lee's Cycle Racing on Aero Dr. (San Diego) to have the rear tire changed. To make a long story short, my rim was scratched at a couple of places. The good thing is, the rim has a (painted) silver coating so it's hard to see the scratches. But still, I'm probably not gonna do biz with that place again.

·
Registered
634 Posts
that is why i install my own tires. along with the 40-50 bucks I save every time. and yhea I have a couple small cratches from my bars but oh well. I put duct tape on the bars too but when you get in a hurry that's what happens. I started installing my own tires after I spent around 2500 bucks on custom pm hooligan rims for my custom softail. the harley shop said they don't guarantee that they wont scratch it so I did them myself and they are scratch free. [8D]

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
hmmm.. dam i didn't know the se rims are painted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.